Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
If the seals are made of urethane, like the seals in most RV toilets, vegetable oil will damage them.

A silicon based lubricant is the way to go. I use pool lube but there's no way to get it into a gate valve that I know of.

. Vegetable oil is a vegetble processing by product and is NOT fossil oil which will ruin actual rubber and similar

Veggie oil did't hurt ours in 6 years of fairly heavy use as the seals are neoprene though I did change the valves since the cables, a it turned out, were poorly run

I hope you are using a silicone grease, not a silicon product

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #22
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
I have owned 3 fifth wheel trailers over 17 years without a blank or grey tank dump valve/cable failure. My 3rd trailer, a 2020 Montana 3780RL, began to have blank tank dump valve opening issues starting 6 months after I purchased her. Fortunately I had the foresight to installed a Camco 3-inch Sewer Gate Valve with cap Built-in Clear Adapter 3-inch Sewer Fittings | Ready to Use Construction (39053) immediately after I purchased her since the black tank dump valve would not close after 17 months. I Just got it replaced at a local RV repair shop this month. $55 part and $400 labor covered under my extended warranty with Compass. What a relief!!
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #23
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
I consider that "final" gate valve to be a life saver ! More than once, on our first and now second fiver, the little surprise hiding at the end of the drain line was unwelcome, but later tamed with the add-on gate valve.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #24
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Calgon

Cap full of liquid Calgon in every tank. You will never have issues. If it’s already frozen it takes several tanks treated with the Calgon to restore proper operation, but it will.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #25
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson1881 View Post
Cap full of liquid Calgon in every tank. You will never have issues. If it’s already frozen it takes several tanks treated with the Calgon to restore proper operation, but it will.
I will try it. Is that Calgon Liquid Water Softener, Laundry Detergent Booster?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #26
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I had the very same problem with 2020 3813. I spray mine with CRC lube once a month and work it in and out and no more problems sticking. CRC is good stuff.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #27
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
I had the very same problem with 2020 3813. I spray mine with CRC lube once a month and work it in and out and no more problems sticking. CRC is good stuff.
Is that CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant? Spray on the short stem below the handle? The rv shop that remplaced it recommended silicone dry lube, which I was using prior to the valve sticking.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:57 AM   #28
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
It’s water softener. Detergent aisle at Wal-Mart in a white bottle. It will take a few tanks before it works, but once it does and you keep using it you’ll have no more issues.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote