Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #21
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If your wheels were packed just before or after you parked it and you are not moving thousands of miles then i probably wouldn't worry about it. I know some are going to say because it was over 1 or 2 years and your wheels were pretty stationary that the grease is dried up but if you take just 1 grease cap off then you can see just how pliable the grease is. This can be done without pulling the wheel. If the wheels were greased properly then i would bet everything is fine. The grease doesn't just disappear from the wheels. I like many on here grease ours annually and i still have plenty of grease on the bearings. I'm thinking because of covid and not traveling much i may just wait 2 years this time where as some do every 2 or 3 years anyhow.

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #22
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
If you are removing the bearings and thoroughly cleaning them of all old grease, then the type/brand grease is not so important as long as it is rated for wheel bearings and high temps. But if you are not thoroughly cleaning them of old grease, then you need to make sure the new grease has the same base thickener as the old grease as some grease types are not compatible with each other. And there is probably no easy way to know what type grease is currently in the bearings unless you put it there yourself.

This is correct information I sold grease and some are not compatible
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #23
Traveltimers2
Established Member

M.O.C. #19203
Frenchy - IMO sitting that long not only might hurt bearings but suspension, tires and any other moving part. If you did proper maintenance during 2 years of sitting, might not be too bad, but me....I would do thorough check of everything (INSIDE AND OUT). But, totally up to you. Sitting for 2 years would do more harm than good!
Traveltimers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I dont carry a grease gun. i carry a small can of grease. Grease guns belong at home. You should not need one on the road. I just don't understand not using any grease that is only on the Dexter list. Have you all not changed out all the bearings? You all know that the bearings are the only thing to grease. So what does Dexter have to do with the kind of grease we use? It can't be the seals because you have to replace them when you do the bearings. I thought Dexter used Chine bearings and everyone changed them out.

Those who's rigs have wet bolts in their suspensions should be carrying their grease guns, as regular greasing of the wet bolts will extend the life of those components. If your rig does not have wet bolts, you may want to consider upgrading at some point. I do agree about not using the grease gun to lube the bearings.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #25
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
If your wheels were packed just before or after you parked it and you are not moving thousands of miles then i probably wouldn't worry about it. I know some are going to say because it was over 1 or 2 years and your wheels were pretty stationary that the grease is dried up but if you take just 1 grease cap off then you can see just how pliable the grease is. This can be done without pulling the wheel. If the wheels were greased properly then i would bet everything is fine. The grease doesn't just disappear from the wheels. I like many on here grease ours annually and i still have plenty of grease on the bearings. I'm thinking because of covid and not traveling much i may just wait 2 years this time where as some do every 2 or 3 years anyhow.

The highlighted is true. I've had some say that "grease doesn't dry out". That's wrong. It does take quite some time. I liked restoring older 4x4s, everything grease related under them is "dried out" all the time unless someone was taking care of them. You can actually scrape the dried grease blobs off. If you pull that cap off and you see fresh grease you may not be good to go because you have no idea how it got there, but at least you know it hasn't been sitting around, driving around because that other owner didn't know (like my dad).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #26
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
So our RV has been stationary for 2 years, full time living in it. I turned the wheels once. We are moving now... do y’all think I need to do anything with the bearings?!
Some say you are ok ... for $200 or less it is cheap insurance. If it fails on the road, it'll cost a lot more
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote