Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
bowill4
Established Member

M.O.C. #8111
gray tanks

need help to repair or replace the gally tank foe my 3400 rl

bowill4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
There are lots of stuff on forum, if you can find it searching. On the 3800re, my galley tank runs across the rv in front of wheels...almost behind entry steps. If you drop bottom corregated plastic bottom, you will see tank. Should be held in place by top seam only with one side sitting on top of the metal floor joist. Other side sits on top of a square c channel tube that is bolted through frame on each side. Inlet for my grey tank is about 60% of tank distance away from back side of tank on entry steps side. My drain pipe under the sink area is behind my built in vaccumn. I cut this pipe about an inch and a half above the inside floor area to allow the pipe to be able to drop at an angle throughthe floor...but still give me room to install a rubber "no hub" coupling to reconnect the pipes when tank was put back in. Under the rv, need to cut the exit pipe after the drain valve so that it can be reconnected with a no hub coupling. These are in plumbing at home depot, etc. Once inlet and outlet pipes are cut, you can remove the c channel bolted to frame so that the tank can tilt down on that side (helps to have someone inside rv push down on inlet pipe to guide it through hole. Then tank needs to slide out from under the floor joist or about one inch forward in my case. MAKE sure you disconnect the wires to the tank monitor before removing c channel! You will now have tank in your hands. I took it out beside my rv in some grass and used a hose to fill it up. What I found was massive leak at top seam where top abs is glued to formed bottom part of tank ass well as an area on the bottom that got wet and when lightly sanded showed itself as a crack when some water seeped out. I used plastic mend reccomended by ozz on this forum. I redid the whole top seam and put patch on bottom. Hope this helps you. I made a short pipe system to temporarily connect sink drain to rv drain pipe so that we had use of sink for couple of days tank was not there. John
Old 09-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
If you have extended warranty, let them do it. If not good luck with your repair.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote