Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
converter question

I have a new Mountaineer. It seems when the first 12V light is turned on, the converter fan starts running. Then when a 2nd is turned on, it runs faster. I think it maxes out with the 2ne or 3rd light. Is this normal. Shouldn't the batter have enough 'juice' to run these before the converter starts up????
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Check battery water.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
When your turn on ANY load the system voltage will drop a hair to a lot depending upon the load size. The converter will react to that. Keep in mind too that current converters are far more sophisticated than the units of years ago. They are true power supplies sized, in most cases, to handle any DC load in the trailer uness you have added a lot of gear.
They will also carry that load keeping the batteries charged. The only time the batteries will truly be getting discharged is if the converter is turned off or A.C. power is not available or if extra gear you have added so much DC equipment that the converter is overwhelmed.

So NO, the load is not using the 'battery juice'.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I should add that do normal mtce checks so you are sure there is nothing wrong such as battery water low.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
My converter started the desulfation process, hammering out 14.4 volts while I was there. The lights of course go from normal brightness to super bright while this is going on. The converter fan comes on for a while and then goes off. Of all the times I've stayed in it, I never was there when this process was taking place. So I wondered, why now. I regularly check battery water level and had done so about two weeks prior. Surprise, surprise, the desulfation process boiled most of the water out of the battery. I filled it with distilled water and a few days later it was at it again. I suspect my 4 year old battery is tired. When I get back to the RV next week, I'll have my hydrometer with me. I suspect a dead cell.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
First Check your battery I suggest having it checked professionally checked.Advanced,Auto Zone will do that for free.In the last few years I have purchased new batteries that have not lasted a a year and I mean top of the line.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd also weigh in on the battery. The new converters run as needed to refill the batteries and not over fill them. For the converter to be stepping up on a second light it thinks your battery is dead or disconnected.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote