Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
ordering a montana

i see several have ordered a new montana hook and others, how do you deal with the one you have when youare making payments and you order a new one. do you go thru a local dealer to get what yours is worth and then order and have it delivered whats the process. thanks in advance this might be our next way of getting our next montana.

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When we purchased our present Montana, we got a trade in value from the dealer on our first Montana. The numbers was real close to what we had to have to make the trade. I’ve always felt that with automobiles it was always a losing battle to trade. I believe RV dealers are more willing to get a sale and make something than to miss out, given today’s economy. Hope that is of some help!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

With my previous post I did purchase used but traded up.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Kind of depends on how much money you have and how much hassle you can deal with. I'd search until I found a dealer willing to make what I considered a fair trade. You can't go by what they offer you on your rig because all that really matters is what the difference will be. If they think you're proud of your rig they'll give you more for it and take off less on the new one. If they think you're a deal maker they'll give you more off the new one and less on yours. The difference is all that matters and you can shop that between dealers. I've never been one to want to hassle with selling it myself and/or ending up with two rigs at the same time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We sold our previous rig on our own through Craigslist and ordered the Monty through the dealer. It took about 6 weeks (Ordered mid-October, arrived just before Xmas) and was hassle-free.
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I think RV dealers and new car dealers are in the same boat. They ave to make a profit to stay in business, a good deal is a perception of the buyer.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
[quote]Originally posted by okierver

i see several have ordered a new montana hook and others, how do you deal with the one you have when youare making payments and you order a new one. do you go thru a local dealer to get what yours is worth and then order and have it delivered whats the process. thanks in advance this might be our next way of getting our next montana.
[/quote

Okiever, I'll try to give you a clear answer. You get trading figures from your dealer. Then you post a deposit to secure the order. When the trailer is built and issued a vin # , then you consummate the trade and do the financing. The only questions left unanswered are exact finish date and exact interest rate, as rates change without notice. Keystone will say "we will build a model at a point in time" the individual ordered coaches are given priority and once the run is put in place you will be told an approximate finish date. Once the dealer receives the invoice with vin # you can finish the deal. Hope this is helpful. Hop you will consider us.
Larry (HOOK)
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like others have eluded to ... it's no different than trading a car that you still owe money on. You end up with a trade difference and what you owe on your old rig is added on to the difference on your new loan assuming you trade in with the dealer. As for dealing with the "stealer" ... never say what you want for your rig as you'll be stuck with that figure and the "stealer" will just deduct a magnificent figure off his full list price to make it seem like you made one heck of a deal. Always give a trade figure and mention you don't care if the "stealer" takes money off list or gives you gobs of money for yours ... this is the figure you're willing to trade for give or take. I realize I'm offending a MOCer in regards to my post, but whether it be cars, boats, motorcycles, or RVs many of us would rather walk on crushed glass that have to deal with a salesman at a dealership. It's a necessary event in the process, but many of us walk away with a really bad taste in our mouths. Obviously some have run into good buying experiences ... some of us are still waiting.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Like others have eluded to ... it's no different than trading a car that you still owe money on. You end up with a trade difference and what you owe on your old rig is added on to the difference on your new loan assuming you trade in with the dealer. As for dealing with the "stealer" ... never say what you want for your rig as you'll be stuck with that figure and the "stealer" will just deduct a magnificent figure off his full list price to make it seem like you made one heck of a deal. Always give a trade figure and mention you don't care if the "stealer" takes money off list or gives you gobs of money for yours ... this is the figure you're willing to trade for give or take. I realize I'm offending a MOCer in regards to my post, but whether it be cars, boats, motorcycles, or RVs many of us would rather walk on crushed glass that have to deal with a salesman at a dealership. It's a necessary event in the process, but many of us walk away with a really bad taste in our mouths. Obviously some have run into good buying experiences ... some of us are still waiting.
If you are referring to me, I'm not offended. I work to satisfy both the customer and the co. If I read the most read book correctly, "a workman is worthy of his hire", and there in I find comfort.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
So Hook, as a RV salesman what do you think about the customer using NADA or Kelly Blue book to get the fair price for the new unit as well as the trade-in value? I have done that with the purchase of both last two trucks and it worked well for me.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

So Hook, as a RV salesman what do you think about the customer using NADA or Kelly Blue book to get the fair price for the new unit as well as the trade-in value? I have done that with the purchase of both last two trucks and it worked well for me.
I really don't care what materials a customer uses, that's up to him. I just represent myself and my co in a way as to win my customers confidence. Maybe some of my customers will chime in here say how they feel about the way I worked with them.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Karl, Larry (Hook) gave you a sincere reply as a CW rep. As a customer I did use NADA when we recently traded our 2008 3400 for a BigSky 3582. I added to that number legitimate items we added to the rig over the years. The unit was also well maintained and very clean. I don't believe NADA and others is the "answer-all" to price of a trade-in. In our particular case, the trade-in outcome was better than NADA.

Yes, I would buy from CW again and Larry would be the go-to guy for that one as I believe he is well respected at CW and especially here on the MOC.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Conversations or threads like this always make me scratch my head in bewiderment. Any purchase transaction of any kind requires two parties. One is the seller (salesman, private party, etc.) and the other is the buyer. In order for a sale to be consummated, there should be agreement between both sides, or else the sale should never happen since one side or the other will not be pleased. Any method the seller or buyer uses as a valuation tool is simply that, a tool. If the price and the terms of a deal are not acceptable to a buyer, then they should not buy. If the price and the terms of a deal are not acceptable to a seller, then they should not sell. Bartering, haggling, dealing, whatever it is called in the end simply comes down to agreement and both sides feeling they are being treated fairly. I have never experienced remorse over anything that I have bought (trade or not), because I knew my expectations going into the transaction. As an example, I just ordered a Big Sky (from Hook's place of employment - Camping World of Fayetteville, NC). I traded in one model for another model and knew what my expectations were. I was treated fairly on the trade-in (yes, I knew the NADA value beforehand) and I was likewise treated fairly on the purchase price of the new rig. I am confident of this because I gave another dealer the same opportunity and they could not come close. I am happy with the deal, happy with the transaction, and will be happy with the new rig because I have the confidence since this is our third Montana that I will have a reliable rig for our planned use. I think Larry feels that he made a good deal as well, and I know Camping World feels like they made a good deal since the purchase was finalized by both parties. Know your numbers, have realistic expectations, and if you are not comfortable with the deal, walk away, there will always be another one. It is just that simple. Sorry for the soapbox approach and lengthy answer, but the above represents the way I feel.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Bingo, you forgot to say amen at the end of your sermon.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Amen! Hee Hee!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I feel that business is business. Both parties need to go head to head negotiating to arrive at a final number that both parties can live with. If it happens great, if it doesn't, life goes on. It is usually when the customer doesn't get what he wants and can't let it go without badmouthing the dealer, is where the problem develops. If your not happy with the deal move on. Dealer's and salesmen don't close every deal they make and they don't whine about it.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Exactly. Many people get emotionally attached to the object (Montana) before they start negotiating. As stated - it's a business deal. You have to have the attitude that it is strictly money for an object, albeit an expensive one. That's why - and I don't mean to offend anyone - the salesman always prefers to have both husband and wife at the negotiating table. Keep emotion out of it...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
Chiplynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13144
We recently were in the negotiating process for our Big Sky with Savannah Campingworld. We contacted Larry for some advice and he was able to work with them to have it delivered to us in Fayetteville and also "assisted" them in meeting our price. There was no "stealing" going on, just a helping hand. Obviously, living in NC we would rather travel to Fayetteville than Savannah for our delivery/warranty work!! Both Savannah and us were happy with the negotiated price.
Chiplynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
ricksay
Established Member

M.O.C. #12796
I would like to reply to this topic. Being in business for 42 years I dealt with customers and vendors all the time. The people (that is both sides) that were honest and loyal to me always got the best deal. We bought our last Montana from Larry Sessoms at camping world in Fayetteville NC. This was not quick deal. Larry and I talked many many times. Larry knows the product as good or better than most sales people,but if I stumped him, he found out and called back not the next day or the day after usually within a half hour. And then we went to check it out EVERYBODY there was working to make sure all was to our expectations or exceded them. EVERYTHING was as he said it would be. If you are a MOC member you will get the best deal.
Call Larry at 910-237-0891 and test him out.
ricksay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
It is really great when you feel like you have made a fair deal for all parties involved. We purchased our 2013 Mountaineer at Dandy Rv in Anniston, AL last August before we knew about the Montana forum and Larry. I can't speak highly enough about our experience with them from our salesperson to the receptionist. We have dealt with the Warranty manager to the Service personnel and have been very pleased with every aspect of our dealings. In fact, we are having warranty work done tomorrow that was arranged in conjunction with a trip bringing us closer to the dealer than coming from our home. They have gone above and beyond working to accommodate us. We met the owner of Dandy RV today and he donated several very nice items for the rally. This kind of treatment is what keeps the customer coming back and the dealer in business. We have purchased 9 different rvs in the past 40 years and this has by far been our best experience.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote