Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2003, 02:22 AM   #1
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Rods for Opening/Closing Gray/Black Tanks

I have always had trouble with the rod coming loose from the gray tank. (This rod connects the handle that you use to open/close the holding tank to the tank itself.)

When the rod would come off, it was a bugger to get it threaded back onto the male threaded portion that was hidden behind the Montana's covered underbelly. But I was lucky that it always came off in my hand and not while traveling down the road. And, with patience, I was always able to get it threaded back onto the male thread that I couldn't see.

On the last trip, when I went to dump, the black tank's handle and rod came off! This was the last straw. I had to find something to keep this from happening.

After talking to my son, who is mechanically inclined, I decided to give LockTite a try. (LockTite is neat in that it will "freeze" the parts together but not weld them so that later they can be separated with normal tools.) I put a small drop on the end of the female threaded portion of the rod and screwed it onto the male portion behind the underbelly. You have several minutes to get the pieces screwed together before the LockTite sets up.

I used LockTite on both the gray and the black tanks. Now the rod does not come off the underbelly connection! I would do the galley also but it has never come off and I can't intentionally screw it loose.

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but if so, this post may be of some help to you.

Craig

'01 Chevy K3500 Dually 8.1 Allison 4x4 4:10 CC
Towing a '02 Montana 3655FL 5th Wheel
Manassas, Virginia USA
http://users.erols.com/jcmccarter/index.html

DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote