Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Bent my rear bumper

I went to Howe about mid-day today to check on the "Challambridge". Was getting ready to leave and was backing around and tapped a utility pole with the bumper. Hit it on the drivers side just beside the tail light enough to bend it. At least I didn't get any sheet metal or paint!

Anybody know what a new one is gonna' cost me if I can't get this one straightened?

I guess I'll let the body shop decide.

MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the club, but sorry about your dent. Hope it's an easy fix.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Dale-
I did the same thing in a Lowe's parking lot. I bent mine bad enough that I did not want to leave it on my truck. I found a new one in a salvage yard that had been pulled off a 2004 truck that had been refurbished as a welding truck. Can't say that you could be this lucky, but I replaced mine for $65. Four bolts to pull the old one off and the new one came with lights installed, all I had to do was plug them into my wiring harness.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Had that done to mine except mine was a hit and run and it pushed the bumper into the rear panel. Cost the insurance $1700. to get it fixed OUCH!!!
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Dale,
About 2 years ago I backed into a pole. Had to replace bumper also. You know, us guys can't ride with a bent bumper on a new truck! It cost somewhere between $250-275. I did the work myself. I have the same truck you do, only a 2003. Parts guy told me "Big Truck, Big Price". Sorry this happened to you! Good luck!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear about your "bump" Dale, hope the new bumper wont cost to much.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Husband got hit in back end in his work truck. Only bent the bumper. He found one at a salvage yard. Put it on himself. Other drivers insurance paid for the bumper.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Dale,
I did the same thing on my 2500HD. It cost me $44,000.00 to replace it with an F350.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Gang,

Going to get a quote from the body shop and the salvage yard. I know the body shop is going to be more expensive but, so is my time.

What really hurt was the fact that I just got done hand washing the Indiana road salt off it. Also discovered that due to where the exhaust pipe ends, it was discoloring the end of the bumper on the passenger side. So, there is going to be a turn-down installed before the bumper is replaced.

Sweetfire, I hope it don't cost me that much to replace my bumper. I've got just a smidge over 20,000 miles on this Duramax. It gets to running better ever week.

Dale
Old 03-05-2006, 06:54 AM   #10
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Rhino makes a 3 foot step bumper that fits into the hitch reciever under the bumper. Last summer backed into a small bolder trying to park side ways in front of the camper. Lucky the step bumper took the hit with very little damage. It was a good investment at $90.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dale,
I have the same exhaust problem happen to my bumper as well. A little soap and water takes it right off. I have been also thinking about adding a turn down to the exhaust pipe, but when talking with the folks at the muffler shop I decided against it. The main reason is I have been told the exhaust from the turn down is so "powerful" that it will kick up rocks and debris from the side of the road which will in turn end up right against the bottom of my boat, and coach. I was amazed at just sticking you hand infront of the exhaust pipe at how much air is forced out at idle. Have someone give it a little rpm increase while your hand is there and you will be amazed at the force. Now the guy at the shop might be full of it, but since he is the one who lost the sale of the turn down, I thought he might have a valid point. If you do end up getting one installed let me know how it works for you, I have still not discarded this option yet. Or anyone else who has a "turndown" installed already, please let me know your experiences with it... Thanks!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Montana Sky,

My thinking is that I was not going to point it directly toward the ground for that very reason. I am going to turn it at a 45 degree angle between the ground and the end of the bumper. I was also studying the tail pipe length. It might be that I will need to cut several inches off so that the elbow doesn't stick out past the tire or fender.

I'm sure I may have to adjust the angle once or twice until I get it right. I want it to look and work properly.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dale,
When you get that all set up let me know how it worked out. I will be very interested in getting your opinion. Thanks, Dave/
Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, sorry to hear about your misfortune but I'm glad it was no worse. When we bought this truck I thought the backup sensors a frivolity I don't need. But I've come to rely on that beep. The closer the bumper gets to an object the faster the beep. At ten inches it becomes a solid whistle. The only problem is when I am towing the Montana and put the truck in reverse.... constant beeping. I could shut it off with the button on the dash but I'd probably forget to turn it back on and then sometime would back into something I shouldn't.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Well guys, good news. I talked to the body shop at the dealer where I got the truck. A new bumper was going to run around $630+ installed. However, the manager told me that he thought he would have a new "take off" out back that belonged to one of the body shop techs. I said, huh? He said that when a new or nearly new part that has no damage and is removed for whatever reason, that part belongs to the tech that takes it off. The tech then has the opportunity to sell that part and, if necessary, install it on his own time using the shop.

Long story short, last Monday afternoon I got a new bumper installed in 45 minutes at a cost of 200 bucks flat. What a deal!! But, I don't want to have to do it again!

Now, as far as the exhaust pipe turn-down. I did get a nice shiny chrome one. But to make it look right, I did have to cut about 3 1/2 inches off the pipe and I have it turned at 45 degrees. Looks OK and I think it will do the trick as far as not cooking the front tip of the bumper.

Mr. Reigle, If they would offer the back up sensors on the next truck I buy, I think I would get it. That darned utility pole was in the blind spot behind my head and between both mirrors. What really gets my goat is, I knew the stinking thing was there!

Al, you're right about not riding around very long with a bent bumper. Everytime I would get in the truck it made me mad for doing it. But, the world is good once again!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Been there done that!!!Never got it fixed because #1 it isn't that noticeable, #2 took the tailgate off and put it into the garage and got one of those vented thingies and #3 Paul would just do it again....LOL I drive now, so that won't happen....I hope
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dale,
Glad to hear you were able to get your bumper fixed for a better price than you originally thought.

Steve,
I have the backup sensors on the new Tahoe, did not really want them but I have found they do come in handy. Hope the new 07 Silverado has them as my 07 Tahoe does.