Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
We're blowin' through the propane

Winter has come to NJ with a vengeance this year. Temps are running 10-15 degrees below normal for December, we've had several decent snowfalls and expecting what could be a nasty Nor'easter within the next 48 hours. Wind chills may be subzero and the forecast low for Friday night is -1F.

FYI, we're full-timers.

Our furnace is getting a workout. Is 65 reasonable for when we're actually in the rig during the day and 60-62 at night for sleeping reasonable? You'd think on my 3rd Winter here I'd not be so insecure, but I guess it's just the fact that it's so much colder this year so quickly has me wondering.

Seems the furnace cycles on and off a lot, but then again, it's cold out with highs in the 30s lately.

My thinking (and as a tech explained) is that it's better to keep the thermostat at 65 (or warmer than, say, 60) to warm up the rig more and have more heat to retain versus a lower (60-62) temp which is cooler, therefore less heat to retain to start with and then cycling on an off more . . .

We spend most of the day next door in an office, so we don't leave the fireplace or ceramic tower heaters on for safety reasons. Not comfortable with leaving them on unattended. We use these two methods in the evenings/weekends when we're "off work" at home next door in the rig. (We're an on-site security team at a dormant industrial site, so we're essentially on duty 24/7.)

Skirting is not an option here. We quite often have turbulent winds and gusts from every direction, and we've seen what winds do to skirting on other rigs in similar situations. Our kitchen gray tank valve handle is actually located under the body of the Monty and is exposed, so we have to be able to get to that. (Stupid design - the '09 model we had previously had the handle in a compartment, but the '10 model doesn't have that compartment and the valve is outside. DUH.) Additionally, we're parked by a river, so we need to be able to move the Monty fairly quickly should river overflowing be an issue. We've had to do that twice in the almost 3 years we've been here.

We're also not comfortable with getting a large standalone propane tank. There is a lot of traffic in the parking lot at times passing by our rig (we have orange traffic cones set out to keep cars/trucks at a safe distance from our slides, etc.) The propane company does not refill those, but changes them out. We also do not want to be dependent on waiting for someone to show up with propane and then not show up. The need to evacuate quickly (and not leave a big propane tank standing exposed in the parking lot) also plays a factor in this.

We need to be able to see out our windows relating to our work, i.e., if someone is parked at the entry gate, is someone trying to climb over the gate (or even crawl under it, which has happened!), so putting anything over the windows to obstruct clear vision is not an option.

(Yes, our water hose is heat taped and insulated, gonna dump tanks before the temps really drop and pour antifreeze down 'em - but obviously not the fresh tank because we use it if water supply lines freeze, etc.)

Good news is we don't pay for the propane. The company we're contracted to allows us to put it on their account at the propane dealer and we have a total of six 30-lb tanks available for our use. Right now DH is off to get some filled in anticipation of the New Year holiday/long weekend and storm scheduled to hit us Thursday.

Again, guess I'm venting (excuse any pun there!) a bit after lying awake last night hearing the furnace cycle off and about 1 minute later cycle on, etc. Sheesh. It was a worry night . . .

Heading South is not an option at this point. We are pre-retirement age, need to work and have a very good gig going here - obviously, since we will have been here 3 years this coming February. With holidays, of course, including attending the Montana NE Region Rally in 2012.

Thanks!
Betty
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote