Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Those Blue Eyebrow Lights Are Seriously a Joke!

I've read all the postings here about the eyebrow LEDs dimming and going out and needing replacement. I never gave it much thought until this weekend, while out using the Montana, I turned them on, then walked out front to look at them. Yup! Mostly burned out! Now my Monty is 2-1/2 yrs old (since purchase) and those light have been turned on perhaps a total of 20 hours in that time.
I wonder if Keystone could have found any cheaper product anywhere in the world to use??? Really?....Why do they even bother?

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Because they can get away with it. Bottom line is profit for the corporation, not necessarily for the workers. Consumers take a nosebleed seat as there is no real competition forceing them or SOB's to get better. My interior LED lighting behind the crown molding had some issues on the ODS and was fixed by the dealership. Than the crown molding fell off because the quaility of work was terrible. Dissapointing is all I can say. Some others have posted about replacing the LED's with higher quaility both in the front and under the awning. Good luck.

Tom Marty
Old 05-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
All of these campers are built as cheap as they can be built to look good. Imagine a buyer for Keystone going to his boss and saying I've found some better lights or what ever but they cost twice as much. He would need a job. He would get points for something that cost less but more, forget it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
All I can say, is this is the same exact kind of quality control that let the Japanese auto makers step in an collectively kick Detroit in the rear in the 70's and 80's and we know how that turned out for the American workers. I wish Toyota or Nissan would make a 5th-Wheel trailer for import! I can only daydream about how things would improve for us!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Never turned ours own or gave it a thought. After posting, curious, yup ours work.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It does not matter what brand of LED's Keystone buys they just do not apply them correctly and they will all short out in time, they just stick them on and seal the hole where the wires go into the cap, O.K. here is the deal as I have been thru 2 sets what happens is Rain and moisture gets Under the LED light strip and Corrodes the contacts so to stop that when you put the new one's on use clear Silicone to seal the strips along the whole length of them after you install them OR after install coat the strips in Dielectric grease to keep moisture from getting under the strips,It is no big deal to do and they will last alot longer,,Here is where to buy new one's and they are Inexpensive and easy to install and this last set I have installed has lasted for a year+ of turning them on EVERY night I LIKE BLING http://www.ebay.com/itm/281191302117...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Same thing as my under awning light mine went out after 3 months so I installed new ones and coated the whole LED strip in Dielectric grease and they are still bright as New
Old 05-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Everything used in RV's no matter how expensive, like the Space Shuttle, come from the low bidder for that type of item. Whether it's electronics in our rig or marble counter tops and floors for a high end Class A it still all comes from the low bidder.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

It does not matter what brand of LED's Keystone buys they just do not apply them correctly they will all short out in time, O.K. here is the deal as I have been thru 2 sets what happens is Rain and moisture gets Under the LED light strip and Corrodes the contacts so to stop that when you put the new one's on use clear Silicone to seal the strips along the whole length of them after you install them OR after install coat the strips in Dielectric grease to keep moisture from getting under the strips,It is no big deal to do and Works and they will last alot longer,,Here is where to buy new one's and they are Inexpensive and easy to install and this last set I have installed has lasted for a year+ of turning them on EVERY night I LIKE BLING http://www.ebay.com/itm/281191302117...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Same thing as my under awning light mine went out after 3 months so I installed new ones and coated the whole LED strip in Dielectric grease and they are still bright as New
I am assuming the LED strips are solder in or do they have connectors on them? Thanks for the info.!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yes the wires are Soldered from the factory and pushed into a hole in the cap and sealed with silicone( I just used connectors on the replacements) and that part they did fine BUT the 24 inch Adhesive backed led strip is just stuck on cap with nothing to stop moisture from going under the strip and then you get Corrosion and Dim Led's then they go Dead IMO it has very little to do if they are cheap or expensive LED strips, moisture and unprotected electrical components do not mix,when you peel the old dead strip off you will see the Corrosion
Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 AM   #10
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I just received my new strips. I peeled off one of the old ones and they look like the skin of a 125 year old man!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
LOL Ain't that the truth,Now it is time to install the new one's right and protect the WHOLE LED strip from Moisture not just the ends
Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Just orderd a replacement set myself. Will start a new thread with picturs on step by step replacement. I know it is simple for some. I am sure some one will use the info!
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm so glad that our 2012 does not have these lights. I don't want our Monty looking like a blue-light honky tonk!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That would be cool,I have done it 3 times so I can do a set in 30 min FYI..when you are wiring the new strips in do one wire at a time so the whole wire will not fall back into the little hole and then you will be one ****** off dude and when you are done coat the WHOLE strip with Dielectric grease so no moisture gets in......Have fun
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Man David I bet you wished they would have not changed the exterior color to other than white or just leave all the graphics off It's amazing how many people at the resorts come over and say they Love those "Honky Tonk" eyebrow and awning lights on my Monty and ask How they are wired and where I got them etc..,I guess I am just in the younger"whipper snapper" generation that likes a little "Bling"
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I'm so glad that our 2012 does not have these lights. I don't want our Monty looking like a blue-light honky tonk!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #16
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

All I can say, is this is the same exact kind of quality control that let the Japanese auto makers step in an collectively kick Detroit in the rear in the 70's and 80's and we know how that turned out for the American workers. I wish Toyota or Nissan would make a 5th-Wheel trailer for import! I can only daydream about how things would improve for us!
They would have to import all the components, IE. Fridge, water heaters ETC. For me that is what i see that usually fails, not so much the unit it self. but also when these components are built they only pay the employees a token wage. ( 8 to 12 dollars an hour to assemble the units for us to see fail)I have a friend that lives in Indiana and he says the RV business is a revolving door for employees. Both on the units and the components. For me being from Michigan i would rather see the workers working and I'll deal with the issues that arise from my Monty. MADE IN THE USA.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:

Man David I bet you wished they would have not changed the exterior color to other than white or just leave all the graphics off It's amazing how many people at the resorts come over and say they Love those "Honky Tonk" eyebrow and awning lights on my Monty and ask How they are wired and where I got them etc..,I guess I am just in the younger"whipper snapper" generation that likes a little "Bling"
Quote:

Well, as a matter of fact this old geezer does prefer the white exterior and I also do not like the black awnings, a/c covers, etc. I guess I'm just destined to be old school! Each to his own. LOL

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Good thing you do NOT design Rv's My man and change with the times or you would be out of business PRONTO and you do not like black awnings???? I guess you love the look of old Mildew white awnings and toppers, once you go black you won't go back
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, as a matter of fact this old geezer does prefer the white exterior and I also do not like the black awnings, a/c covers, etc. I guess I'm just destined to be old school! Each to his own. LOL
Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 AM   #19
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
When I first saw those lights I thought "how cool". After a bit of thought I said "just another item to go bad with wind and weather". Sounds like I was correct! I'll add my own bling!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #20
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yes you are correct but hey for 8 bucks and 30 min to replace them no big and I am retired I need something to do sometimes
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

When I first saw those lights I thought "how cool". After a bit of thought I said "just another item to go bad with wind and weather". Sounds like I was correct! I'll add my own bling!