Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Onan Marques Platinum 5500 LP - any experience?

I am now zeroing in on adding either the Onan Marques Gold or the Platinum 5500 LP. Does anyone have any experience with these two generators? The only difference I can see is the Platinum is quieter by about 3db and has fuel injection. What I don't know is whether the Platinum gets better or worse "gas mileage" or whatever you call it.

John and Dorothy
'06 Dodge 3500 Diesel pulling Montana 3075RL

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have the Onan Marques Gold and love it. Wouldn't be without it. Quiet, dependable (as long as you don't run out of propane) and easy to start. We had ours installed at the factory and is all we do is go to the closet and push the button. Can't even hear it from the inside. On the outside there is very little noise. It is vented out to the bottom of the trailer and never have had a problem with odor. If you need any pictures I can provide them for you. Let me know. The decision is yours this is just our experience. Kathi

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I know we had a previous topic on this awhile ago, Kathi, but how much did you say the Onan weighed? I know for your circumstances it is a"must have", but I was wondering about the weight difference between the Gold and the Platinum.

That would be important to know, John, in making any decision on which one of the two. It's always better to be quieter, but the weight and fuel consumption "under rated load" are both factors that I would need to throw into the mix in my consideration.

Can you ask Onan directly about this? Or check their website?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
We also have the Marquis Gold 5500LP in our 3400. Quiet and very easy to start although it seems to be sensitive to low gas pressure. It will not stay running when the propane bottle reaches near 1/4 full. I get a code that says low pressure. Other than that it is really a nice unit and runs all appliances including 2 air conditioners.

Tom & Sherry Hook
Sassy (Pomeranian) & KiKi (?Cat)
1999 F250 PS
2005 3400RL
http://www.tomandsherry.blogspot.com/
[IMG=left]
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We opted for the gold 5500 LP as well and it is so quiet we can actually take a nap in the bedroom over it. We're always careful to keep the slide windows closed over the exhaust.

We did have the following problems -
The dealer pinched the fuel supply line between the propane cylinder and cabinet wall during install causing it to quit periodically and give the low pressure alarm. Of course the dealer wouldn't touch it, but Cummings/Denver found the problem immediately and charged me because it wasn't an Onan issue....long story. Check the fuel supply routing out of the regulator after the install to make sure it is well clear of the cylinder.

Having some problem now the the transfer switch overload breaker popping when I run the AC - haven't dealt with it yet. I don't think the transfer switch is an Onan product.

We hear rumors that the LP units have difficulty starting at high altitude in the cold, but we have never had trouble getting it started. The only time we have to prod it a little is right after we turn on the LP tanks after it has been stored (air in lines).

Don't know about the advantages/disadvantages between the gold and platimum, but you can't go wrong with the gold.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="ClickforLittleton,Colorado Forecast"height=100width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
thook,
I noticed you like to boat on Lake Roosevelt. I am down at Two Rivers campground every year from April - October (except this year, I leave tomorrow on my journey to Goshen for the fall rally). I also have a boat on Roosevelt and spend as much time in the water as possible. =) We will have to try and get together next summer when you head that way again.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
We also have the 5500 gold. We had no problems starting the generator at 7000 feet in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We are also amazed at how quiet the unit is. We wouldn't be without it!

06 3670 Montana, MorRyde suspension, King Dome Satelite, 5500 onan propane generator
05 dodge 4x4 turbo diesel, six speed
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote