Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Montana Portabote carrier

There are many times I want to take my Portabote (folding 12'9" boat) with us camping, but I did not want to put on a side carrier on the 5th wheel unit, or try to rig something on top of the truck cab.

I had my son-in-law build me an aluminum carrier - basically a metal box 13' long, 6" high, and about 2' wide. We bolted this under the 5th wheel so that the access opening for the boat was in the front. The rear end of the box is about 2 feet in front of the front axle. We drilled some holes in the bottom of the box so that moisture could drain out.

The porta-bote fits great. The box added about 60 pounds, but the weight is kept low this way. Since it is only 6" high, it is still plenty high for clearance. The only thing is we have to be unhooked from the truck, but that hasn't been a problem so far. Also, if I had to get to the RV underbelly, I only have to remove a dozen nuts.

I would think someone could build a similar box out of galvinized material as well??

[IMGPLEASE REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE PICTURE TO COMPLY WITH MOC PICTURE SIZE POLICY, THANK YOU. RVWHEELS http://i7.tinypic.com/24who3m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGPLEASE REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE PICTURE TO COMPLY WITH MOC PICTURE SIZE POLICY, THANK YOU. RVWHEELS http://i8.tinypic.com/24whuky.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGPLEASE REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE PICTURE TO COMPLY WITH MOC PICTURE SIZE POLICY, THANK YOU. RVWHEELS http://i8.tinypic.com/24whwut.jpg[/IMG]

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.

mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Matt,
Great job on the "bote box". I've been thinking along these lines to store some other, large but thin items, that do not weigh much. Thanks for the show and tell.

Lamar & Debbie
Cumming,GA

Our Website
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedreamer2004

'03 Mountaineer TT 335 RLBS
'03 F250 Crew Cab Lariat 7.3 PSD

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mallardjusted

There are many times I want to take my Portabote (folding 12'9" boat) with us camping, but I did not want to put on a side carrier on the 5th wheel unit, or try to rig something on top of the truck cab.

I had my son-in-law build me an aluminum carrier - basically a metal box 13' long, 6" high, and about 2' wide. We bolted this under the 5th wheel so that the access opening for the boat was in the front. The rear end of the box is about 2 feet in front of the front axle. We drilled some holes in the bottom of the box so that moisture could drain out.

The porta-bote fits great. The box added about 60 pounds, but the weight is kept low this way. Since it is only 6" high, it is still plenty high for clearance. The only thing is we have to be unhooked from the truck, but that hasn't been a problem so far. Also, if I had to get to the RV underbelly, I only have to remove a dozen nuts.

I would think someone could build a similar box out of galvinized material as well??
Matt, If you wouldn't mind I would like to make a web page out of your Bote Box to add to the MOC Member's Show and Tell pages.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Sure Glen, no problem. If you want, I could take some additional pictures.

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Matt- great minds think alike! I carried my porta boat in a galvanized box similar to yours, however with a top on it, bolted to the underside of my previous Aljo 5th wheel. It is currently awaiting installation to the underside of our new '06 Montana. Since my box is of galvanized metal I'm sure it weighs more than your 60 pounds, but certainly not enough to create weight problems. Clearance was never a prolem with ours either and we hauled it for 9 years to a lot of places. Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mallardjusted

Sure Glen, no problem. If you want, I could take some additional pictures.
That would be good and a little description about the installation would also be helpful. You can send it by PM.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Nice job on the aluminum box. I started down that road as a way to carry my Porta-bote until I found what the price was going to be. Then I looked into using galvanized. It was going to be less expensive but still significant. So I thought I would try an even less expensive solution first. If it didn't work I could always go back to having a box built.

I built three rollers of all thread covered by PVC and pipe insulation. The rollers are connected to the frame by brackets I fashioned out of 1 1/2" strap. Since the rollers do roll very easily, I had to build a front and rear stop to keep the bote in place in case of a sudden start or stop. It also enabled me to put a lock on the front stop to discourage the less than honest element.

To protect the bote from road crud, I went to a discount fabric store and bought five yards of naugahyde material which I had sewed into a bag shape to fit the bote. It works very well and has the added bonus of protecting the bote from the ground when I expand it.

Rear bracket - http://i7.tinypic.com/256gwa1.jpg

Front bracket - http://i7.tinypic.com/256gzdv.jpg

All three brackets - http://i7.tinypic.com/256h0qp.jpg

It has been on two trips and over 1,000 miles without a problem. The bote is easy to load and unload. No problems with clearance but I don't expect to take it off road either. Materials were less than $50. The sewing of the bag was outsourced (my wife brokered that part of the job) and I am told I don't want to know what it cost. :-(

Carl (& Susan) Youngren
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote