Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
At the carefree site, what is the "alumaguard" mentioned for some models? Anyone know? Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #22
montanagal
Established Member

M.O.C. #3266
Hello,

We have a 3400 RL 2005 Montana and we purchased our sun shade through our dealer, who will then order it through a company called: Careefree of Colorado. You cannot order it directly.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely
Diana
montanagal

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pep1977

Hey all,
wondering if there is anything out there that has been used to put on the windows or over the windows of the trailer to help keep it cool. i see lots of motorhomes with a screen type material over some of the windows. just wondering what is the best stuff out there without going broke doing it. thanks
montanagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #23
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
To John who emailed me - Your email address did not work - came back with permanent errors - here is my response.

I actually have not gotten them made - other things have gotten in the way. But the fabric on the cut edges does not ravel - but I plan on turning under a inch or so on each side to give a more finished edge and give me something to sew the velcro to - I have purchased industrial velcro to stick on the Monty and some regular velcro sold by the yard to sew on the shade fabric (was able to buy only the side I needed of the velcro).

I saw an article on doing this in the Trailer Life magazine (was an article on dealing with the heat and cold) and wrote and asked them where I could locate the fabric BUT they never responded back - so I searched on my own. There are a few websites that sell it but I think I got the better deal from Farmtek.

Hope this helps - Laura

__________________________________________________ ___________________
You posted a note about using sun blocker fabric from Farmtec - how did the material work (fraying on edges, etc). Thanks for the info. John
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Joe, Laura and our 3 dogs - 2004 Chevy Silverado diesel pulling a 2005 3400RL Montana
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- WOW --- what a ride!!!"
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #24
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Here's my quick, El Cheapo solution for Sun/Heat blocking in FL this summer.

I was getting full sun almost all day through my rear window and side windsow's on the sofa side. Not to mention the heat from the skylights.

I just wanted an easy inexpensive fix for a a couple of months. So....I went out in search of what might do the trick. I found the Auto Shades in Wal-Mart in large and small. They are shiny aluminum on one side and pure white on the other. I then purchased velcro and 'white' duct tape for putting together two large shades for the rear.

Two large auto shades $2.88 each) were cut to fit the rear and taped them together across the middle (horizontal/on the inside). I then put small pieces of velcro (industrial strength I cut into little squares) in each corner of the window and one at the middle top and bottom. I cut small auto shades ($2.48 ea) to fit the side windows (no taping needed) and velcro in the corners.

The look from the outside is all shiny silver and from the inside, with the shades between the mini blinds and the window (inside) it looks like Shojie screens. I left a little opening at the bottom of the window on the side to look out if I need to.

Next I cut the shades to the size of the skylights and used long strips of velcro to attach to the rim of the sky lights.

I really like the effect. This may sound tacky to some, but it's really not. I am not in a park with especially attractive outside views right now so I don't mind not being able to see out the back and side windows. I still have the dining side and front and other side windows for light and now my AC cycles on and off instead of running constanly. I can no longer feel the heat coming off the windows.

When the hot, hot, days of summer are over, I'll just take them down and fold them up. Lightweight and easy to store. The velcro on the corner's of the windows is white and does not show through the mini blinds when the shades are removed.

Total cost of the project $17. My neighbor grabbed up the auto shade material I had left and made covers for her skylights.

The Cheap auto shades are the only ones I found with the white backing.

The inside Heat is greatly reduced, The shojie (sp) screen effect is quite cozy.

fla native

2004 2980RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel
3500 (LadyRam)
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
fla native,
Sounds like a great fix to those hot summer days!!! And the best part is all that for less than $20, how could you go wrong??

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote