Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
Montana_3280

M.O.C. #3280
Super Glide vs Reese Signature

Have read every post on hitches. Need help deciding for 05 Chevy 2500 Ext.Cab/short bed to pull Montana 2850. Many members live and die by Super Glide and others say that any hitch will do. We are not full timers and will pull 6-8 times per year. Have narrowed choices to the Super Glide (automatic slider) and the Reese Signature (manual slider). All of the RV shops I have spoken with infer that the Super Glide is not worth the extra $1000. +. Have also read about back window incidents and then also that others have only had to use their manual slide 2-3 times per year.

Suggestions, experience, advice and help appreciated.

Thanks

Montana_3280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I pull a 2980RL with my 2005 shortbed chevy and have not used the slide once. But, if I ever need it I got it.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Forgot to tell you I use a manual Reese slider.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #4
Montana_3280

M.O.C. #3280
Guess I should add-- other than automatic slide feature-- is there an advantage to Super Glide in stability, smoothness, cornering/handling, etc.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the manual reese but if I were doing it again I'd go with the superglide. To me there's not even room for comparison. If you want to have to not even think about whether you need to slide the slider, the superglide is the way to go. If $$ is a concern, then the manual will work fine for you but you'll have to remember to get out and pop the slider. Popping it can be a challenge sometimes. You either have to hold the trailer still with the manual lever on the controller or you will have to block the trailer wheels. Then do it again to move the slider back to its normal position after the turn. You do NOT want to go down the road with it slid back. That would be dangerous. Just my opinion but if you can swing the bucks I'd highly recommend the superglide. (If you decide later you want the manual I'd be very happy to swap my manual for your superglide, straight across!)
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I agree with sreigle, If the upfront cost is not a concern I would definately go with the Super Glide. I figured if I did not slide the hitch one time I would pay for the extra cost of the hitch in the two insurance deductables, truck & camper. That being said I am sure the Reese is a very good hitch as well. I guess it boils down to how vigilant you will be about making sure there is no contact between the front cap and cab. Good luck in your decision making process.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Shari insisted we get the SuperGlide once she knew what it was. I said "Please don't throw me in that briar patch!". (I wanted it too!) Her feeling was that you never know when you'll get in a spot where you'll either forget to slide it back, or won't be able to do so. If the hitch does it for you every time, you don't have to worry. Ol' whats-her-name also thinks I'm forgetful. It's a great hitch and I would buy one all over again.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
DVW, Steve tried to make the same deal with me when I asked pretty much the same question as yours back in February when I joined MOC!

Still, he is dead on about the worth of the SuperGlide if you can swing the dollars. Not having to worry about the nose of the Montana kissing the truck cab is just like the commercials say—priceless. I will add that our SuperGlide earned its keep when we first put the Montana in the back yard as I had to make some short turns due to the Georgia pines that used to be back there.

I really do not know if the SuperGlide is smoother than any other hitch as I have only used it, but for what it is worth, it has my deepest recommendation. By the way, have you ordered the video from PullRite? That sealed the deal for me.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Superglide and would not be without it. Have made U-turns with the coach in some tight areas and everything went so smooth. In my opinion, when you spend $35 - $75K on a fifth wheel why would one want to cheat the most important piece of equipment when towing with a shortbed truck? As long as I tow with a shortbed truck there will be a Superglide doing the job.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:21 AM   #10
Montana_3280

M.O.C. #3280
With super glide 16k are there 2 types of rail mounting kits-- 1 where the rails are hard mounted and only the hitch can be removed and 2 where the rails can be completely removed from bed?? If so, other than removing totally is there advantage in hitch operation to completely removable. Also, due to the unique mounting plate locking device on king pin-- 1)can you still use king-pin tripod stabilizer?? and 2 dealers have indicated they have had issues on service calls where a tow vehicle breaks down they can not tow 5th wheel because they do not have super glide and their tow vehicles can't accomodate the mounting plate.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I guess I have to stand up to the reese Signature Hitch. yes, I can see the advantages of the automatic release. But how many time have you had to use it. We went with the 18K Reese Signature Hitch and very much pleased with it. So far, we have not been in a situation that I felt that we had to use the slider portion. There is enough clearance between the Montana and the truck when making 90 degree turns. The montana with the extension pin and the curve of the cap allows enough room to turn. That said, I am constantly aware of the distance and have my wife watch when were backing up and have to make a sharp turn. What I like of the new Reese hitch is there is no bucking anymore like I had in the old 20K. It takes a little getting used to coming in low and letting the pin slide up on the carrage. The reason for this instructions is there is a release bar inside that opens the hole to put in the safety pin. Dummy me didnt read the instructions and bent it the first time out. Straignten it with a crow bar and it works perfect now. Also counciled the owner too. He knows better now.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crewcab short bed diesel.
Reese 18K Signature series hitch
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:04 AM   #12
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
DVW,
We got the "super-rail" system which allows you to remove the hitch and the rails. It was more expensive, but I wanted to be able to use the truck bed completely flat if necessary. After 8 months of owning this set-up, I haven't had to remove the hitch yet, but may this weekend if my daughter is moving, in which case Dad gets to help haul stuff. I knew if we didn't get the removable rails, I'd need them at some time and would be unhappy that I didn't get them. As to the issue of the hitch plate, it makes sense, I've not thought about that before. I do know that I have to tell the service folks at the dealer to be careful, but they use forklifts to move the rigs around. As to being able to use a stabilizer, we do with no problem.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's not a case of "But how many time have you had to use it?" It's a case of "Are you going to remember to use it?"

The complete peace of mind that my Superglde is AUTOMATIC and that it will AUTOMATICALLY slide is all the justification I needed to buy mine. That and the more positive locking of the hitch mechanism.

I am the one that posted the picture of the TV with the busted out rear window. He had also stated that he THOUGHT he didn't need to worry about an automatic slider. He got off cheap as he was lucky he only busted out the window and didn't do any other damage to his truck.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Well it's about 10 to 1 in favor of the Superglide but let me make it 11 to 1.

I am forgetful and have looked back several times while backing using the mirrors and seen where the AUTOMATIC Supergilde had saved my cab. I'm sure I made the right decision.

I think I use it most when the back-in slots are 90 degrees from the driveway requiring me to "jack-knife" the trailer.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #15
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I don’t believe we can overstate the idea of forgetfulness. Even the person with the best memory can have lapses such as when it is raining, dark, or just exhausted after a long day. And let us not forget——that we cannot predict some of the tight places in which we might find ourselves.

I cannot stress enough how reassuring it is to know that the SuperGlide will protect the cab of my over 40k truck and 30k Montana investment.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #16
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
DVW brought up a good point. You will need the adapter from Pullright or remove the capture plate to have your coach pulled by a regular 5th wheel hitch. IF someone tries to hook up to your kingpin without it they will destroy your capture plate. I have purchased the king pin adapter plate and carry it with me incase my coach needs to be towed while out on the road. I think the part number is 3336 from Pullrite.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #17
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Reese Signature is what I went with, install hitch used the under the bed mount in 6 hours for $1000 no tax or shipping. It features the Power Puck under the bed mounting system, when hitch is removed four puck size mounts 3/8" tall is all that’s left. The locking jaws make for no chucking. You know you are hitched up by flag system. Weighs less take up less room. Just one complaint would be when returning the slide to pull position the safety pin can be a little stubborn to slide back in. Really like the hitch!!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:05 AM   #18
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I too am looking for a new hitch as I probably will sell my hitch with my truck. I just ordered an 06 long bed and am trying to decide which hitch I should get. My current hitch is a 18K hidden hitch rocker and has worked very well. It seems like everyone like the Reese hitch. Can you buy directly from the manufacture or is there an on-line dealer some of you are dealing with? Appreciate any point you can give to save time in my research. Thanks!

Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, I got mine at the RV dealer when we bought our first Montana. You might get a better deal shopping around. As for the Reese, it's probably just the one that's most available. There are lots of good hitches out there in my estimation. Nice King Ranch, by the way!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
As far as not being able to tow the coach if a person has the Superglide and the road side service does not that is true. When I purchased my road side service plan I asked and explained I had the Superglide and would they be able to help if I were to break down. They said they have two options and they will pay and cover both if I were to be towed in. First is most commerical road service crews have an air compressor in the truck so they can unscrew the adapter plate on my king pin and then tow the coach like normal. The dealership who is doing the repairs will just reinstall the plate when I come to pick up the coach. The second option is they will send a semi hauler out to tow my truck and coach together and not even disconnect the Montana from my truck until I am at the repair shop. Thought I would add my 3 cents in just incase.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote