Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Water Heater--Noise?

Just noticed that our water heater is making a strange/different noise--haven't heard it before! Only makes the noise when on electric and it's a low, hissing noise almost like water running but no evidence of any leaks. Can hear it inside the rig/kitchen area and certainly at the water heater outside. Any ideas? Should I turn the electric off and just use propane until I find out what's going on? Thanks, B

barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Edit to my previous post. Once the water gets up to temp, the noise stops so it's only 'noisey' when on the heating cycle.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check the anode rod at the bottom of the heater tank to see if it has degraded substantially. There have been reports of a hissing noise that can be the result of a worn out anode rod. That would be my first step, anyway.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think when the heating element starts to get coated from hard water it will start to do that. As Bingo says the anode rod is important on these and if you are full timing or a heavy user the rod will need to be looked at yearly. The noise will not hurt anything just the element working
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually hard water beginning to coat the heating element will begin to degrade it's efficiency. The same is true at a S&B but usually the water heater in an S&B is placed away from the living area and so people don't notice the noise. We use a water softener with our rig specifically for that reason and also to keep from getting build up in the lines and faucets.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
As an added precaution, removing the junk from the anode rod and cleaning the tank of the same stuff (our scale is yellow in color), will help to keep and particles from clogging the hot water outlet check valve.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Thanks to all who replied. Today, the water heater just quit--the electric element is not working. I checked the switch, circuit breaker etc and all were 'on' but when I tried to cycle the switch on the water heater it was very difficult to turn off--I pressed it hard and it moved but it now appears to be 'floating' and not making contact. Not sure but think the switch may have 'fried' for some reason so may have to contact a RV Service rep to check things out--not comfortable doing my own troubleshooting as problem may be more complex than a failed switch. Works ok on propane so still have hot water, thankfully.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
that switch just pops out of the hole that it is in. there are two wires plugged into it. thats all. just shut off the power first. The switch is junk to say it mildly. any switch will work just check the amp rating on both switches if you can't find the one to fit.New one is about 8.00 dollars,
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote