Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Psst - want some drugs?

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young:
I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, --- America would be a better place.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I think I had most of those drugs growing up. Great post.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
AMEN, me too.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Here also. My Mother and I often discussed that kids today do not want to sit and listen to the adults talk. Therefore they don't know how to be quiet and they don't know a lot about how it was in the old days. I learned a lot, sitting quietly while my folks visited. There were drugs around when I was growing up but if I had been caught there would have been dire circumstances to pay and my folks would not have admonished the school or the police.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Could not have said it better myself. My kids are "drugged" even today. Too bad more parents today feel their kids need to have their freedom. If you ask me, it is just the parents wanting their freedom. Too busy to be bothered with teaching them respect and right from wrong. Whatever happend to the days where if your kid were going to spend the night at someones house you didn't know, you went to the house to meet the parents?
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote