Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
JOB CHANGE AT 50??

Was wondering if anyone here changed jobs late[49] and after many years at the same job.
I have 17 years where I am but the work don't seem to be there..and I have toys to pay for. Maybe slow bump or should go for the change? Only problem is that as trucking goes it "may" mean more time away from home..........that I hate.

Who took a chance and was glad or not so glad??

just doing some thinking at the computer

The best part about winning the lottery is you don't have to think about $$ so much!!{of course I am guessing}

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Check your e-mail. Would like to discuss privately.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
I did change, but same field different employer. It was fantastic.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
I have worked in the telecom industry since 1971. From 1981 to to 2004 I work in telecom equipment sales. That all came to a screeching halt on 4/16/04 when I was down sized after 17 years for the same company. I shifted from sales to telecom equipment engineering on a contract basis. It has been quite a learning experience but is working out ok. I will be 59 in July and we just close dout our house last Friday ( 4/28/06) and we are now full tme RV. There is life after 50 Best of luck and good successes.

John wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I worked for a company for 12 years and at the age of 45 the job left me . 9 months later I started for another company and liked that job better than the first, then after 18 months they closed also.
I had been an electrician/ electronics tech. and then I decided to do what I loved and became a full time Realtor (Ihad been doing it part time for years). Never looked back and no regrets.
Just do what you enjoy because life is short.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am at the same stage in my life but at a different age. After working for the same company now for over 11 years (started when I was 16) I ruined both shoulders. After undergoing 2 shoulder operations I am now having to find new employement. No more physical labor of my arms/shoulders. I have been fighting with the company for the past 20 months and still have no end in sight. I have spent the last 6 months trying to figure out what I would like to do and where I would like to work? The one thing this entire process has taught me is make sure whatever you do, you are happy. Life is very short and corporations do not care about the employee. Look out for you as nobody else will. Best of luck in your decision, I know it is not an easy one to make.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Life can take really unexpected turns, as you are experiencing. Whether it is companies or individuals, it this fast moving economic climate, learning how to re-invent ones self or ones company is paramount. Adding skills and redefining myself has been a pattern of survival since my mid-thirties. These last 12 years, being self-employed has been the most exciting and terrifying time of my life.

I am not very brave, but I discovered that most of our fears are unrealized. Fears must be faced and overcome because they are not building blocks but rather are distroyers.

One bit of insight from my times of uncertainty, I never permitted myself to tap into any IRA's or retirement accounts for living expenses. We just bit the bullet and lived on whatever our income was or wasn't. Now at retirement age, it is paying its dividends. I am debt free with the sale of my house and have adequate funds to be comfortable.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote