Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stress/fuel prices/humor

I am not an expert in RVing. We have several on this forum that are. I am an expert in some fields, though. Biology/physiology, for example. This issue over rising fuel costs, can start to affect some people due to the stress they are putting on themselves over this issue - and you know who you are.

RVers, by their very nature are generally more "flexible" than the rest of the population. However, everyone is going to have to have a bit of a sense of humor about these rising fuel costs. Otherwise, some - and I'm not talking about anyone in particular on this forum - are going to start suffering some medical problems. Some are more prone to getting their blood pressure up than others.

My Dad called a bit ago, and he is FIRED UP. He just knows that the end of the world is coming, we're all going to run out of oil, and horses will be the new "hot" commodity. I told him he needed to relax, adjust, and go on with his life (and take his medicine).

This IS a very important issue. I am not denying that. It will impact most Americans financially - and many emotionally, and then medically. We can adjust to this. It may not be the way we planned a few years ago, but it is doable. Don't let this situation stress you out. You will only hurt yourself - and your family. Do what you have to adjust, and keep a sense of humor - that is an biological Rx. I have the background and knowledge in THAT field to give that advice.

There really is nothing we can do about it. If you believe that you can initiate a national movement to boycott certain gas stations - that would impact gas prices... GREAT! Get back with me and let me know how that went for you.

Health is your priority, as many here know. While this is a difficult situation - and it will probably get worse before it gets better - protect yourself emotionally. Your family will thank you for it.

Some here may think I'm just not taking this situation seriously enough. I believe that I am fully aware of what I may be required to do down the road with these spiraling fuel costs. This is just MY 2 cents worth... plus some others:

"I believe that you shouldn't take yourself too seriously, have some fun in this life, we’re only here a very short time. Just live your life so you wouldn’t be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip."
Will Rogers

Here's a reminder of the Senerity Prayer:

God, Grant Me The Serenity
To Accept The Things I Cannot Change
Courage To Change The Things I Can
And The Wisdom To Know The Difference
AMEN! (My Amen)

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
AMEN!!! To all of the above.

Not that many years ago they said there are only 2 guarantees in life... Death and Taxes. Add one more to that... Death, Taxes and Rising Fuel Costs. We've lived for centuries with death and taxes and now we can also live with higher fuel costs.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Great words Dave, my thoughts exactly. I hae a sister in law tha will only spend twenty dollars a week, on gas, and therefore will not go anywhre outside the $20.00 range. I've tried to tell her that she is limiting her social life, her mental health and her physical health by staying to her "20.00 range". She says she has to save money in case she has to make a trip one dauy. I about fell ove laughing and wished he luck. You cannot let yourself be limited by circumsxtnces over which you have no control.
Live,believe in yourself and the higher being, be happy in who you are and love your soul mate just as hard as you can and life is good!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
dsprik,
You make some excellent points. Stress is a fact of life and both a good thing and a bad thing. Like most things in life moderation is usually the best way to go. And there is no doubt that the cost of fuel is certainly going to cause many of us some higher stress. I do have to disagree with your suggestion that there is nothing we can do about it. If there was nothing we could do about things then we'd still be Colonies under the British Empire.

I'm not suggesting a revolution. I'm not suggesting anything other than we must keep thinking that there may be something we can do. The thought that there is nothing we can do simply causes me too much stress.

In the end we will have a say over the price of fuel. Right now we keep telling the oil companies that we will keep paying whatever price they sell their product for. Soon we will not be able to buy fuel at the rate we are now. Perhaps when that happens the price will come down some. Three dollars a gallon is high but we still plan on taking our trip this summer. If it goes to four dollars ........ well I don't know. I'm not sure just where the line will be drawn..... but somewhere down the road the limit will be reached. I do not have an unlimited $$$$ supply.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I understand what you are saying, Hamrad.

There are two different forms of stress. The "good" stress is the kind that an athlete feels just prior to and during a game. This stress is also present in the business world when someone has an achievable goal and a action plan, with a time frame, to obtain that goal. These situations are similar.

The "bad" stress comes in when someone becomes frustrated because they think they need to do something, and they cannot figure out what to do. They have no plan, and they are just sitting "dead in the water". This is a completely different stress (no endorphins, no adrenaline, no healing processes) and the body undergoes a totally different process. All bad. Heart attacks, strokes, reduced ability to heal/repair, etc.

My take on this oil price situation, and I sure have no problem being corrected on this, is that the scope of trying to change some factor (and I don't know what specifically that would be) that would bring down the price of fuel quickly (within the next 3-4 months) - based on the fact that this is a global problem - is enormous.

The Revolution relied on a core of a hundred men (leaders) or so initiating an action against a specific enemy. While this worked - eventually - for that end, I see this as hundreds, if not thousands, of times bigger, and obviously much harder to impact.

And THEN... What do rally around? Do we single out they "Big Three" oil companies, and consider them the new "Evil Empire from within"? One of the problems in the oil price situation, is that consumers are having a problem focusing on just what the right target should be... is it the oil companies? Is it the traders on the commodities exchange? Is it China and India? Is it the White House? OMG!!! WHAT IF IT'S ALL OF THEM??? See what I mean?

In the Revolution, it was easy... The King is evil! Death to anyone wearing red!!! That was an easy focal point to get the people to emotionaly rally around. This certainly is not. You have a lot of upset and worried consumers out there that are totally confused as to who they should focus on as the culprit.

I would make this recommendation to anyone who is starting to stress out over this, and really feels something needs to be done: Pick any one of those targets (or another one, if I missed one) and formulate a plan of action. Then stay focused and "move". Action, action, action. Set up a series of small, achievable goals (weekly would be good) that you can accomplish on your way to the major end goal. This will convert your "bad" stress to the "good" kind. This stress, with the endorphins/adrenaline, will be much better for your health. If you hit a "wall" in your quest, go through it. If you stop, your "stress" will revert to the bad stuff again. You can feel the difference. Just don't stop until you "win"... whatever your goal is. It's important that you feel that you have accomplished something.

My personal approach to this current oil price situation has been pretty much worry-free because I have faith/Faith, which helps me. I truly believe that this situation will smooth out in our global economy before some cataclysmic event occurs, that wipes out our entire lifestyle, as we know it. I also have the ability to relieve stress through Faith. I read where you are suppose to put your worries on His shoulders (not that action isn't required sometimes, though). I'm not perfect at that, but I think I'm getting better.

These are just my suggestions. Other than having my degree in Biological Sciences from Mich Tech, I also have coached football at both the high school and college levels. I started for five years (1 year redshirt) on a college football team, then one year in Canada. I have a lot of experience with stress at the biological level. I also was a American Red Cross CPR instructor for a few years. I'm just going off of my training and experience.

Hope this is helpful.

*On Edit~ Oh yeah... and keep your sense of humor. It really is healthy.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
My point was that we can do something. I do not know what. The important thing is that there MUST be something we can do. But I'll have to leave it to others to figure out what. I'm just glad our forefathers thought there was something they could do. And I don't think they were dissuaded by numbers. If they had considered that then they probably would never have had the revolution.

And we must keep our sense of humor! So keep smiling. I'll keep trying, too.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dennis, we just have to watch the stress levels caused by frustration. I agree that it would be nice if we could just see someone, or some organized group, actively trying to do something. It would help relieve a little frustration in many.

One pro-active thing people could do is write their Congressman. At least they would have the feeling that they are doing something, and prevent a little of the hopelessness that they would otherwise feel.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What limits our range of travel, our life style, etc is the amount of resources we have to expend on those things.We can go as far and do as much as our resources allow us.Although we have little or no control over "conditions" they do never the less limit what we can do.Actually I know of a lot of folks that use that 20.00 0r 50.00 rule because that is the limit of their resourses. And by doing that you are "doing something" you are not using as much fuel and you are still doing what you want to do, just limiting it to a smaller circle.Those who have unlimited resourses have no worries in that area but most folks have a limit and have no choice to stay within them. we not stressed at all we just adapt to changing conditions and move on...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 AM   #9
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I saw a segment on local news that the local Pawn Shops are booming because people are pawning their jewlry, boom boxes and etc. to get enough cash to get fuel to get home from work.
They also said people looking for homes are now looking closer to their jobs.
We are starting to adjust I guess.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
A very BAD adjustment that will happen is that many of those who don't already have their credit cards maxed out, will now start charging up their CCs and/or try to get more credit cards, so that they can pay for their gas. This will compound the problem we already have in this country with CC debt.

I'm afraid that many will not use good judgement on their "adjustments" in their budget, either. They will shorten up legitimate family priorities/necessities - groceries/utility payments, etc, but keep their beer budget/McDonalds budget intact, for example. Anyone know someone like that?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things that I notice on my school bus route that runs through 3 counties , several cities and covers 125 miles a day. Lots and lots of Motorcycles, many folks riding bicycles to work and My personal economic indicator..what is for sell in peoples front yards.Luxuries are the first thing to go in hard economic times. ATV's, Campers, Boats, jet ski's.Second vehicles, usually 5 to 6 year old autos and trucks that were used as work vehicles. These folks are now laid off and can no longer afford the second car/truck. Then ..yard sales..you might see a column or so in the area paper on thursday for sales Friday and Sat.now there are several columns.Next the classified adds, Guns, sporting equipment, Computers. Photo equipment.. Huge increase in those postings. The common blue collor working stiff is hurting and it will get worse when they run out of things to sell off..Went to a local garden center today to buy 5lbs of grass seed. It is usually so crowded on a Sunday that they have the police directing traffic..no such thing today, I asked what was going on and the owner said..people are not buying much grass seed or plants as of late. It could be a long hot summer..people with no place to go, nothing to do , having a hard time paying the bills and a lot of time on ther hands to think about it.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I don't think you can judge the whole country by what is happening in one area. In Southern California they are building new houses by the thousands and schools and shopping centers to go with the homes. Restaurants are crowded as are the freeways and sporting events. We went to Home Depot on Thursday and couldn't find a place to park. We have a Lowe's right down the street so it is not the only place in town. We stood in line for 1/2 to get into an RV show today. And our gas prices are the highest in the nation. Actually I was not even stressed about it until I tried to get through our resident psychologist's post! LOL
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's "Physiologist", not "Psychologist", Sue.

Although as you know, when we go through our education classes, they do make us take several Psych classes. They think it important for us to stay one step ahead of the kids in our classes (and the parents).

I have been to several business attitude/leadership courses and seminars - John Maxwell is an awesome speaker and author. I've seen him three times in person.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Anyone, that get so stressed out over gas prices that it makes them sick must have other major issues they need to deal with. That's not say we don't get frustrated over gas prices and wish they would drop, as I'm sue we would all like to spend more money on our selfs. I guess my kids inheritance will be a little less? but I think they will survive.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:35 AM   #15
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
When I heard that gas prices were going over $3/gallon then to $3.50/gallon and further I started to get a bit anxious. In our business our biggest expense is gas. We are self employed and have four children to provide for and the gas hike could really hurt us. Getting anxious and filling my day with worry will not solve the problem and will not make me feel any better. So now when I see those prices rising I just say "this too shall pass" and drive on. My needs will be met and this will pass eventually - worry will only make it worse.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #16
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142

My father was one that went to the gas station once a week and would only spend $5.00! That was in 2004, God took him in late 2004.. I could not imagine him living today and the gas prices this high! I think he was very tight with his money b/c of the depression. It was sad b/c when he passed away he had alot of money only he could not relax enough to spend any of it.
I agree we have to not stress. It is already impacting us ..we live in a town where there is no grocery store..school is 10 miles away and work is 34. But I think it could be worse right? We try to do all our shopping at once if we are in town. We already have cut back on trips into town. We have a scooter but it is to far to drive it to work! Around town to the post office or casey's makes it nice.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well it is good that so many of us do not have to worry about the increasing price of energy and the increases that it brings to many other things and that it brings zero stress into our lives.I am one of those folks. I am retired, I have a good pension, Although I drive a school bus I do not have to in order to pay any bills,As a matter of fact I will no longer drive after the end of this school year. We are within walking distance or biking distance of everything we need.If energy gets to high we do not need to RV, Our life style will remain unchanged. However..there are multitudes of folks all over this country, who are struggling to provide the necessities of life to their families.These folks are what was once the great middle class. We work with these folks through Community care every week. They had good jobs, were proud folks . now they must beg for food and clothing. These are folks who worked at Ford, Chevy, The steel mills, Industrial plants. When you can't feed your family, Can't find a good paying job, can't afford 3.00 a gallon fuel can't pay your natural gas or electric bills because they have doubled or tripeled..you suffer stress.This is not happening in one part of the country, Read the news paper, watch the news . It is nation wide. It is good that many of us are not exposed to these things and are therefore clueless as to the terrible times that millions of fellow Americans are experiencing. If you are unaware of these things , while you are waiting to go on your next camping trip you might wnat to contact your Church or a local community care organization. I am sure they will be able to find you some folks who are suffering economic stress in your Community. Perhaps you can, in some small way, help.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #18
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
We too live out of town at least 10 miles to the closest store. I have one child who has to be driven to school every day. I am trying to limit my trips back and forth to town but it is hard.
My Grandmother was the same way with her spending. When she passed she had more money than we could have imagined. She never spent a dime on anything she did not need. She too lived the depression and was always saving for that rainy day. I think though that she was truely happy.
I hope the hurricane season does not bring too many storms that result in another reason for gas prices to sore high. It is crazy down here just trying to get gas before and after a storm. Forget about the price the lines can be hours long. Now that will raise blood pressure for sure!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 AM   #19
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Good advice Richfaa You are 100% right. Helping others less fortunate is expected of us but not something we always remember to do when we are busy with day to day living.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great post, Rich! Charles Swindol said he has discovered that in his long life, that your happiness in life will be determined by 10% what happens to you and 90% what your attitude is.