Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
How high is your Bedsaver attached to your hitch?

We got our Bedsaver shipped to us while we were in the RGV and Glen mounted it on the hitch in the highest holes. This means that we have to pull away from the kingpin and then raise the front legs of the Montana so that we will clear the Bedsaver. Is the Bedsaver too high?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Mine is the same Glen, If you have it any lower, it might miss the slot... I think I will deal with the inconvenience of having to raise it slightly after unhooks than worry.. If you lower it, there might be a chance that the bed saver will still catch your unit, but it might be so LOW that the unit will hit or slightly hit the top side's of your bed.. Don't take the chance. Just my 2 cents

Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Judy,

I installed mine this winter and was thinking the same thing. Yours sounds too high to me. I think the way to set it up is so it's low enough not to interfer with hook up but still high enough to keep the tow deck off the pickup's bed. I have about 6 inches between the bed and the trailer when hooked up on the hitch. After you get it where you think it will work, lower the king pin into the bed saver and slowly put all the weight of the trailer on it. I would think you should have at least a 4-5 inch gap between truck and trailer and still be an inch or two below the hitch plate.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Judy and Glen, I have mine set up so when I slip out of the hitch I just go over the top of the bed saver. If I do not raise my front legs enough I will then catch in the bed saver and that is what you really want it to do. You just have to go very slow and you will get used to how high you need to raise the Montana.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Ours just misses the bedsaver when hitching up. It must be right because when we were leaving Reno in September and the trailer slipped the bedsaver was right there to catch it...Thank goodness!!!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. My bedsaver is sitting on my workbench in the garage waiting for a warm day to install it and I was thinking about how high or low to set it.Since the camper is not here yet I can't experiment but it sound like I should set it in the highest holes...but sweetfires method sounds logical...I am..as always ...soooo confused...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for sharing, everyone. We may try it for a while in this high position as it's a sure catch if it's ever needed. It's just a little inconvenient to have to stand at the controls while Glen pulls ahead. But it's worth it!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote