Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
TST Tire pressure monitors

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or in the tire sub forum...but here it is (for now). Mods can move it if appropriate...

So I added the TST flow thru type sensors to my Monty (my truck already has OEM TPM but no temp.) and I noted that this sensor requires steel valve stems.
I had been meaning to go to steel stems anyway so this was good motivation to proceed. I had America's Tire rebalance and rotate the tires since they were off the trailer anyway.

I found some nice steel valve stems on etrailer.com and ordered a set...BUT they did NOT FIT my wheels (OEM Montana 16" aluminum). The holes on the outer rim part of the wheel were too small of diameter for the nut and washer to fit.

I spoke to etrailer about this and pointed out that this wheel is very common and they should know about the hole diameter issue to warn people about checking closely. Yes, I should have done this, but I would not have known the diameter of the washer and nut on the valve stem anyway.

I will be returning these and had to make a second trip to America's Tire after they were able to quickly obtain the correct stems (see photos for comparison).

NOTE: the photo of the single stem is of the new (correct) ones that America's Tire got for me. The two side by side are of an old "correct" one that was previously installed on one of my tires. The one next to it is one of the new (INcorrect) stems from etrailer. Note the difference in size and type of nut and washer.

SO, I'm posting this up to possibly help anyone else considering this addition to their Monty; BE AWARE that there are more than one type of steel valve stem and check the hole diameter on your specific wheels.
Mine measured 5/8" diameter which was the same as the nut on the stem (no room for a socket in the hole, the washer was even larger at 3/4").

Got 'em mounted up and the TST sensors work great with no repeater antenna needed (included in the kit).
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You've brought up an issue that some of us have run into around the 2010 timeframe when going to steel stems. Yes, what causes "parade rest" on the install is the hole recess in the OEM aluminum wheels is not big enough to get a socket down in to tighten any nut. I and others have gone with the Enkei style valve stems which are designed to hold from the inside of the wheel. Here's a link just to show others the design, not if they fit the hole which they'll have to measure with the OEM valve stem removed. Others will appreciate your post with photos.
https://www.ebay.com/i/163915789357?...xoC68wQAvD_BwE
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I had the style with the nuts inside the wheel, and after several failures over the years, have gone completely with the style that is inserted from the inside and has the nut outside and have no issues with failures due to the nuts coming loose. Discount Tire and Les Schwab are two of the dealers that I have used that don't seem to have a problem with supplying metal valve stems for our aluminum wheels.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yes, America's Tire also had no problem finding the right valve stems either.

Stacey at etrailer (very helpful and nice lady) was open to hearing my suggestion that she bring up the valve stem design issue to the appropriate people at etrailer and maybe consider sourcing and offering the style needed for the Montana wheels (at least the ones I have! )
Old 10-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A small dab of blue loctite on the inside nuts solves most all that issue. At a glance, I do like what America Tire came up with in today's market. None the less, both designs solve the small recessed valve stem hole in the aluminum rims.
A couple of years ago I actually asked a tech at Etrailer what the diameter of the washer was and he responded very quickly. We talked just a bit about the issue, but I guess it didn't get any farther.
Here's a link. https://www.etrailer.com/question-272419.html?fb=yes
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yep, those measurements that etrailer gave you correspond to what I measured.
You were smart enough to ask BEFORE buying...