Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A 'mystery' - a broken window

I got a phone call yesterday from our CG owner about 2 hours after we had left our Montana. The maintenance guy while mowing found that we had a broken window. Amazingly, they said it could NOT possibly have been a rock kicked up by that high powered, high speed bladed mower. I can't argue that point since we weren't there but have a very special term starting with the word "Bull".

My wife walked around the camper once and I did it twice to check for open windows, turn off the water and check hatch locks It is covered by insurance so it wont hurt too much besides the inconvenience

Now, the point of this thread - has anyone found an on-line source for replacement glass only. Many, including Trekwood will sell complete windows but in a so far cursory look, haven't found a glass source yet. I'll be checking the local glass companys as well, but chance of finding the right color may be slim. If it ends up that I need to replace the entire window, Hehr, in their wisdom, has put the part number on the inside of the frame - grrrr

Another project is looming, whichever way I go

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
If insurance is covering why would you source the window??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If insurance is covering why would you source the window??
Probably a high deductible, higher than what the replacement window would actually cost.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Exactly. Same thing happened to us. Campground paid for the replacement.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:19 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
First of all, having my insurance pay for a new window was NOT my question. For the price of a single pane of glass, I will not spend my time chasing a few bucks that with the deductible, might not cover the cost.

Additionally, I will not put our RV is some dealer's lot for days-weeks-months for them to do a simple job of pulling a hlf dozen screws, popping out a complete window assembly and installing a new one.

Next - our CG claims it wasn't their fault. It kust 'happened' and since we we did not witness the event, can't request a thing from them by our seasonal contract with them. By the time I got there, there was plastic over the hole and every piece of glass had been removed from the ground along with any possible rock.

A word of advice. The CG when covering the hole with plastic used blue masking tape. In less then 24 hours, the sun, even on a cool day before it started raining later had begun baking the sticky into the well waxed siding and needed some elbow grease to remove. My new patch is only stuck to the window frame with a good brand duct tape
Old 10-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you can't get what you need from a local glass company then I would go with Trekwood. I had to replace a whole window last year and they were easy to work with and get the right window and the whole process went well.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Check this thread. Luck23 is selling a replacement window that might fit.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ghlight=Window
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you can't get what you need from a local glass company then I would go with Trekwood. I had to replace a whole window last year and they were easy to work with and get the right window and the whole process went well.

Thanks. According to the Trekwood website, it doesn't appear that they list the one needed by size. I do need to pull the existing window out for the exact part number since Hehr doesn't have an easily visible part number except a tag on the hidden side of the frame.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch & Kathy View Post
Check this thread. Luck23 is selling a replacement window that might fit.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ghlight=Window

Thanks. I wish it would fit but mine is approximately47x57
Old 10-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Several members have been sucessful using a local glass shop to repair their broken windows. Do a "Search" on "broken window replace" and you will find a number of Threads about it. Here are a couple to get you started. You can also PM those who have been successful and see if they have additional information for you.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=81544
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=82200
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=75046
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=79247
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=77061

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Thanks for the search, Carl. I knew I wasn't alone but so far have not had time to dig in deeper.

Dang but those windows are dearly priced
Old 10-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I got a phone call yesterday from our CG owner about 2 hours after we had left our Montana. The maintenance guy while mowing found that we had a broken window. Amazingly, they said it could NOT possibly have been a rock kicked up by that high powered, high speed bladed mower. I can't argue that point since we weren't there but have a very special term starting with the word "Bull".

My wife walked around the camper once and I did it twice to check for open windows, turn off the water and check hatch locks It is covered by insurance so it wont hurt too much besides the inconvenience

Now, the point of this thread - has anyone found an on-line source for replacement glass only. Many, including Trekwood will sell complete windows but in a so far cursory look, haven't found a glass source yet. I'll be checking the local glass companys as well, but chance of finding the right color may be slim. If it ends up that I need to replace the entire window, Hehr, in their wisdom, has put the part number on the inside of the frame - grrrr

The park is being foolish by not installing the mulching plate to stop the possibility of throwing rocks at windows, pets, children, adults. Our owner made that mistake and took out their house sliding glass door. I installed the
mulch plate for him when I heard rocks bouncing off the side of my RV.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
JJW
Established Member

M.O.C. #21798
Just a FYI, I was sitting in our 3711FL when the side window exploded!! There wasn't a mower or another living thing around, the window just exploded. I'm so glad my husband was around because I knew that he wouldn't believe it. So maybe that happened to your RV.
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #14
Dave and Beta
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22710
I can’t answer your question, but I did post a couple of weeks ago, that my interior pane of dual pane window shattered while at the RV dealer. Now it wasn’t hit from the outside, because the outside glass is unmarked and in place. And it wasn’t hit from the inside because the screen is fully intact with glass particles against it on the inside. So it broke on its own. Someone posted that some glass has impurity’s in it and those particles , not visible to the naked eye, can start to rust, cause an expansion and break the tempered glass.
Dave and Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:48 PM   #15
Museone
Established Member

M.O.C. #24325
I ve had a window break for apparently no reason upon further investigation found out that the sealing glue or silicone that holds the two panels of glass together was separating on two other windows. Seal dead them up with liquid nails silicone and seems to be holding
Museone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #16
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
Broken Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

We had the a similar situation just last week. The maintenance man at the facility where we store our 2008 3400RL called to let me know that while mowing the grass his lawnmower kicked up a stone that shattered our rear window. The difference here is that the facility accepted responsibility and offered up front to pay for the repairs. We ended up having the shop that does our service work (Southern Comfort RV Service) come out and remove the entire window assembly and take it to a local glass shop where they had to make a template and send it to the glass supplier to have a piece (48x72) cut and tempered. The downside is that we may have to postpone our next trip while we wait for the glass to arrive. As an alternative we checked with Trekwood on buying the entire assembly. Trekwood quoted the window assembly at $505.00 plus $350.00 freight with a 5 to 6 week lead time and the caveat that even thought we provided the which they needed to match the part number they would not guarantee that it would fit and that not accept a return if it didn't
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Just finished installing my broken LR window on my 3790. I went directly to Lippert. Excellent customer service, but it took over a month to get it from the actual mfg. $155 +/-. Check an existing window to see who mfg the window. Then find serial number on window frame. I had to remove my frame on the inside. The number was on the inside bottom. Photograph both the mfg logo and number. Lippert wants them both. Save the handle from the old one. Easy to remove and install.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #18
KJT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23367
Fyi
WD40 works wonders on adhesive removal from tape.
KJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I just got my quote from LCI (Duncan) yesterday. The window, including crating, truck shipping, installation kit and tax is $831.

LCI wants the entire number off the inside clamp ring. 32 screws later, got it. The order will go in as soon as I discuss with my insurance company since it will be a DIY installation and I don't want the supplier's name on the check.

I found a couple other suppliers that were asking in excess of $1000 just for the window then another $200 plus for shipping. Trekwood is ridiculous! They appear to have the window - surplus material at $805 plus another $120 for the screen and no install kit then $200 for shipping. Someone should remind them that the screens are part of Hehr's OE supply. Elk Mountain is even more costly.

I probably could have found just a replacement pane locally at some glass shop but the COVID upsurge here is not for me to wander the shops
Old 04-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Window is now installed. Bought it from LCI/Duncan. Not the best of experiences as the glass doesn't totally match and the supplied installation kit, weather stripping 2' short and 15 screws short, was useless. I've reused the existing screws and locally sourced weatherstripping. If I ever have to replace another window, might find another supplier.

For those of you that ever consider this as a DIY project, tempered glass with the correct tint was impossible to find locally, especially with the COVID restrictions.

With that said, you need to remove the inside clamp ring to find the OE Hehr number (assuming that's the brand your RV has installed). That ordering/part number is on a tag on that ring. After that, you sit and wait 3-5 weeks for your window. You will also need a business ship to if it's a big window - mine was 47x57 and the total weight being 171 pounds, motly wood crate. The window itself probably didn't weigh 60 pounds - and you need to pay shipping for that weight.

The actual installation amounts to removing those 38 or so clamp ring screws again then prying the window away from the outside wall. Luckily mine didn't have adhesive on both sides of the weatherstripping as some will.

You install weather stripping on the window frame, hoist it in place using a helper to hold it there while you use your screw gun(s) to pre drill a couple holes matching the clamp ring, install a couple screws. At this time, your helper is done and all you have to do is finish up installing the rest of those screws. Speaking of installing those screws - it is the worst part of the job. You are drilling through the holes in the clamp ring to a rounded part of the main window extrusion which means that sometimes you barely hit the outer edge or - gasp- leave a screw dhowing of which I have one.

Not a faint of heart DIY project, but not too bad for someone reasonably handy. I have two decent DeWalt cordless screw guns - one with a drill bit, the other with a Phillips bit which is a real time (and sanity) saver