Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Roamers Retreat CG, Kinzer, PA

So much has been posted about Roamers in other thread, I don't think I can add anything except:

We are in Space 64. Will be here for 3 night (at least)

We left Cedar Ridge (See other post) and traveled down River Rd. PA 521, to US 206, to US-209, to PA-33. I was following TomTom (no, not a TomTom in a TV in front of me - you know, the GPS TomTom) and, I had scoped out the route on MS S&T last evening. I had decided that I was going to follow US-222 on down to PA-30 and hang a left to go to Roamers.

Well, TomTom was telling me to go a different way as I got closer to 30. We said, "What the heck!" We followed TomTom's direction. Now I can't tell you the roads we were on, but they were all, and I mean all, back roads with max speed of 45 (posted) and down to 25 for a lot of them (posted) with twisty turn that I would have been proud to say I had ridden on a motorcycle.

My wife used some words to describe the scenery that was more powerful than "beautiful" I'm not going to wake her up to ask her what the words were. But, with just the little bit I was able to see I would describe as "beyond beautiful." TomTom must have known what we had wanted to see.

Strange thing, as I came to the intersection of PA-30, I didn't know which way to go. TomTom was going crazy, and even asked me to turn around. No way Jose! So, being the man that I am, I called Roamers and asked directions. They said to turn left and that they were just a little bit more up the road. Gee! They were probably 300 yards.

As we were walking in the CG I saw a road going out to the road we came in on. Well, TomTom knew the CG was on that road, but it did not know that is not the way I should have gone in. So, I'm glad I reduced myself to the woman's mentality and asked directions.

CU

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We had the same problem last weekend when we where up there around Lancaster also. We have the Magellan 6000T on the interstate going to Cabella's and it was wacky. Telling us to U-turn. Kept redoing the route when we never turned off. We thought our GPS was broken. Has not happened since. I was surpised that you had the some of the same issues. We have used it up there a lot in our TV and it has taken us down back roads that we enjoyed but understand with the Monty not to much fun. We have also always stayed at Roamers. A nice campground. We have been going up there for years. While you are there check out Country Acres Campground at 20 Leven Road, Gordonville PA web: www.countryacrescamground.com. 717-687-8014. We never knew it was there. They are located right off 30 around the Outlets. It has a swimming pool, 99% large level 50 amp sites, is $42.00 weekdays, $46.00 weekends. 10% discount Good Sams or AAA. It is 10-15 min. up 30 from Roamers. They also provide a 2 hr Dutch Country Tour free if you are staying at the campground. Just might be a place you want to check out for future camping. Owners are super nice. Roamers use to be our favorite but we think this place has them beat. We feel they are located closer to places we like to travel, Intercoarse, Outlets, New Holland. and the sites are great!Have a great vacation. We love it there. Perhaps a nice location for a rally someday. (I hope I don't get in trouble saying that) Anyway..... if you do check it out, let us know what you thought. We booked already for next year but have not stayed there yet.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I noticed the signs as I was going back and forth along Hwy 30. It was one of the pop-ups on my mapping system. One of the requirements for our stay in the area was Passport America and Roamers honors PPA for 3 nights. As far as I know, it is the only CG in the area that honors PPA which gives you 50% off.

In another post it was said that the TomTom should be set for the fastest route. Problem with that theory is that point A to B over back roads may be faster because it is shorter than taking the interstates all the way around the back roads, so TomTom will give you the back roads.

We are staying an extra day. We spent the day at "Urgent Care," for DW's knee that gave out this morning. Seems she strained it somehow and it flared up today so the day was not what we expected it to be. Tomorrow we'll do what we were going to do today.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wayne you are going to love lancaster co it is one of the best places Susie and I have ever been to. If you can try to eat at plain and fancy on 340 old philadelphia pike between bird in hand and Intercourse. You will not believe the food. Hey the country side aint bad either. yall take care. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Your right they do accept PPA and that 50% is a rate you can't beat for a great campground.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote