Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Wash and Wax Please

What a job! We washed the Monty last night then got up this morning and waxed till around noon. Happy that the job is done. Had to take off some glue that they got sloppy with. Found a couple of decals that had bubbles in them. All in all everything else looked pretty good. One thing I would really change on the outside would be that flimsy ladder...glad we dont have to use it much.
Now I think we are just going to sit and relax for the rest of the day...we earned it!!

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
That is a BIG job, but it does bring its own satisfaction. I'm planning to do mine this next week, right after I do my taxes(which brings me no satisfaction).
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
no wax here...wash only.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Just washed mine today. It took me almost 6 hours, but I did take a break or two. Next I am going to rub a coat of 303 proctectant on it, but that will have to wait until Monday.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I washed ours today but will put off waxing for awhile. We're not supposed to wash our rigs in this park but it's ok to use those special damp wipes. When those ran out I used a bucket of water and some terry cloth towels and that worked just fine. I do have a few black streaks here and there to take care of but that will wait a few days, too. We're to have a lot of rain this next week with just a few nice days so tomorrow we're going back into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to continue our sightseeing of this beautiful park.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
Saturday morning got the trailer home by 8am, washed it and waxed it done by 11:30am. Let me tell you that is a job and a half. Felt pretty good the rest of the day but yesterday morning until about midday I could barely use my arms they were SOOOO sore.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #7
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Just washed mine today. It took me almost 6 hours, but I did take a break or two. Next I am going to rub a coat of 303 proctectant on it, but that will have to wait until Monday.
I just bought some 303. Do I use this over wax or in place of. My caps are pretty dull. Anyone know how long it lasts?
Thanks!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Campbud, unless they've changed the ladders since the 2003 models they're a whole lot stronger than you'd think. I've been up our many, many times and we carried two bikes on a ladder rack for a couple of years. On our 2001 Montana I mounted the bikes too low and caught a bike wheel on the ground coming out of a gas station. Not just a little but a whole lot. Vicki was in a car behind me and saw it. It did damage the ladder somewhat but not nearly like I expected. And it didn't hurt the mounts nor the Montana at all. I was very impressed and since that time don't worry at all about the strength of the ladder. Just wanted to mention that they're stronger than they seem. At least ours have been, thankfully.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Steve, it seems when you climb on ours it gives a bit more than it should, but that is why I let hubbie climb it too! Sorry to hear about the bike. I am trying to talk hubbie into the bike rack on the ladder. How satisfied with it are you?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We were very satisfied with it except to climb the ladder I had to remove the bikes. I could climb around/over the rack but not the bikes. That's the major drawback. We no longer have it, though. After almost two years we had used the bikes only once so gave them to our kids. The bikes rode on that ladder rack for somewhere around 20,000 to 25,000 miles just fine.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:22 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Our Montana started out our trip last week clean so it was only the bugs on the front that demanded attention. Yesterday, I got out my 'Bug Bust' and the front cap is now clean as a whistle. I will try to put on some fresh wax before we leave here this week for a trip to Colorado.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
David,
Try dryer sheets (see my earlier post) for cleaning bugs off the cap. Works great for me, and easy, too. I keep a box of them in the basement w/hose and ladder (sounds like a fireman).
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #13
Harold & Teresa
Established Member

M.O.C. #248
A friend I met while camping showed me a tip that is really beneficial for washing your trailer. Get a Y adapter for your water hose and on one side of the Y add some type of soap dispenser. I use a garden hose sprayer for putting chemicals on your yard. Fill it with your favorite rv/car wash soap. On the other side of the Y use an extension brush that allows water to flow through for rinsing. Rinse, apply soap with dispenser, scrub with brush and then rinse again. Saves a tremendous amount of time.
Harold & Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote