Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Yellow Spots In Ceiling UPDATE

I just noticed that I have yellow spots on my ceiling, It is where they put the staples and then used some kind of stuff to fill the holes and then they wiped off the excess it left a streak on each one of them. Well I think it is the propane and all the cooking I do has turned each one of them yellow and it looks bad. I am wondering what to do short of having to paint the whole thing. I have tried to wash it off and that don't work either. Anyone have any idea's?????

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:50 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Believe they use WHITE WOOD PUTTY to cover those kinds of divits. Have no idea how to clean them tho.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I believe this is the texture they put in the ceiling. I too, first thought they were trying to cover small holes. If you have lots of them it is in the texture. If you just have a few it is something else.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
There are two rows on each panel, guess I will have to start trying to find something to remove them, Don't know what that will be though. I sure would hate to have to paint the whole thing that would be a mess.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Try some Oxy Clean. I use it alot in my laundry. But be careful, try one spot first, wouldn't want you to make it brighter than the rest of the ceiling.

Let us know what you use.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Might also try "Orange Blast". I get it at Wally World in the automotive section. Stuff will clean durn near anything. I would also do a small test area.

Dennis
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
I will let you all know what I try and if anything works... Thanks for the ideas!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Do you burn candles in your rig? We didn't have exactly your problem but got stripes on our ceiling along where the framework is. Turned out to be soot from candles combined with either moisture or temperature difference of the frame. Once we got that cleaned up we tried smokeless candles but they weren't smokeless enough. We finally bought a candle warmer that heats the candle, melting it and releasing the nice smells and no more stripes. A couple of other members had this same problem with candles. If you don't burn candles, then disregard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
PrariePoodle
Try the new Clorox Pen. You can do just a real small area with it. Also on our other unit I used White Out to cover up the staple holes.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:39 PM   #10
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Last summer i noticed small yellow spots on the ceiling in the living room. The more I looked the more I noticed. I cleaned them off with some pinesol and a sponge. They all came off with a little elbow greese. Could not figure out what caused this.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:11 PM   #11
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Steve I did do the candle thing and did get the stripes in the ceiling and got them cleaned off, but this is different as it is just spots where the staples are across each panel. I will do the colox pen and see what happens. These spots are a mess and I cannot put up with them so I will find something to either remove them or I will repaint it...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #12
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Ok gang here is what it is! I got the orange stuff out this morning and climbed up and started to wash on one of the spots, the more I washed the softer it got so I scraped on it a little and it all came off leaving a damaged spot. I did a few more and it seems that my ceiling panels are all damaged. Kind of like something was scraped across them and it made litte nicks or holes. They used what I think is the texture that sunseekers talked about and just smeared it on them.

I truely hope that yours are not like this because it will in time turn yellow because of the propane heat and the cooking. It will take me weeks to get all this stuff off, then I have to find something to try and cover the damage. I have to say that even with the damage it looks better that having all the yellow dirty spots. I don't know maybe I am just tooooo picky but I like my ceiling to look nice.

I would have to say to keystone please don't put damaged ceiling panels in because it is going to be very hard for someone to try and fix having to look up all the time.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #13
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Linda,

I don't have any yellow spots but I don't think we have ever used the stove. When we go out in Monty Betty equates that to going out to eat so we are toaster oven and microwave people.

Where our ceiling tiles go together are 1 inch strips the width of the trailer. Don't know if this will help or not.
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Linda,

How large are these "damaged" spots???? I keep thinking it sounds like the staple divits, where they put the ceiling panals on and stapled to hold in place. I know they use white wood putty to cover the divits on the ceiling and walls. They used a wood colored putty to cover the ones on the cabinets and wood areas.

Seems that if you cleaned one of those wood putty spots off you might have a area as large as the putty covered, that now looks damaged. ????

So, anyone know what the ceiling panels are made of??? I cannot seem to remember what they told us at the plant tour.

I have smears of what I assume is the wood putty on the ceiling too, but have ignored same till now. Hope to ignore a lot longer. But then, Al and I are not living in our unit 365.

Carol
Old 12-22-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Carol that is what I thought they were at first but they are scattered all over the place. At one of them there is a cut in the ceiling about 1 1/2 inches long, I do have the 1 inch strip to cover where the panels are put together. If the holes and dents are from the staples they sure did a sloppy job on them.

I do a lot of cooking sence we are full timers and of course you know how I love to cook and invent new things. I will just have to remove the yellow spots. I will try and take a picture of one or two of them so you can see what they look like.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yea, a photo would be helpful.

Someone suggested the bleach pen, did you try that??? That sounds like it might have merit!

Carol
Old 12-23-2004, 05:24 PM   #17
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
prariepoodle

Had similar spots in the stick house and tried to remove by various means, had some success but each method ended up making the area look damaged. Finally tried Kilz (stain covering paint). Applied it with a very small brush nearly dry. Used very small strokes and the finished product was quite nice.

travel safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, Kilz is great stuff. Used that on a ceiling in our stick home. One of the Kilz products has a whitener as well as mildew killer, if I recall, and the other is just to kill mildew. So be sure to get the right one. Sounds like the one with whitener would be appropriate for this use.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #19
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Our Monty didn't have yellow spots on the ceiling panels but after a couple of years the plastic shroud around the AC started to turn yellow. It didn't turn all yellow just big blotches. We tried various things to clean it but it was "in" the plastic. Like someone said it looks horrible.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #20
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
Chester..

There are paints that are specific to plastic that can be obtained at auto parts houses. They are used to paint the plastic parts on the enterior of cars and trucks. Should do a nice job on the A/C grill if nothing else works.

Travel safe..
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote