Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Local Programming

I contacted DirecTV about receiving local programming in different locations as we travel. This is the message I sent followed by their answer.

Hello,
I have been told that I could merely call DirecTV and tell them that
we are now located at zip code ##### and would like the local programs.

I think that it would be a great service by DirecTV if I could call in and say, "I'm now located in such and such a zip code and would like the programming for my local channels to be changed to this zip code. In our case, our Livingston, TX address is merely a place we can call a legal residence for voting purposes, but it is primarily a place where our mail can be gathered together and sent to us wherever we are in the U.S.

I understand how Nielsen controls this. But I don't understand how they can tell you that you can't give local programming to a customer who travels. Could you please clarify?

Thank You,
Orville Schinke

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Question about programming [Reference #: 081004-001605]

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Rachel V ID 400806) - 10/07/2008 04:27 AM
Dear Mr. Schinke,

Thanks for writing. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced. I see you're a long time customer to DIRECTV and we appreciate your loyalty to DIRECTV. I'll be happy to address your concern.

DIRECTV requires that you have a physical address on file at all times. This address cannot be changed frequently. Because you're in an RV, you're allowed to receive the distant network stations (DNS) from New York and Los Angeles.

However, DIRECTV cannot change your address every time you change a location, as the physical address on file needs to be stationary and not constantly changing. Please know that if you'd like to receive locals from the market you're in, you may be able to obtain these from an off air antenna.

Depending on the location and the type of dish you're using, you may not even be able to receive all of the local stations where you're at. Some local stations are broadcast from different satellites and require certain equipment to receive these.

I hope that I've been able to address your concerns. If you have additional questions or concerns, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 and an agent will be able to assist you.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Rachel V ID 400806
DIRECTV Customer Service

In view of their answer to me, I would like to know how some MOCers are legally receiving the local channels through DirecTV when they are in locations other than their normal address.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I agree with you Orv, I have tried and have gotten the same response, so I finally gave up and quit trying.

bw2
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't know if this will help or not.

The Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When on the road we use the antenna for local stations. If the antenna doesn't pickup local channels than we just do without.
Now that we are back at our home base we once again receive locals via Direct TV
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

When on the road we use the antenna for local stations. If the antenna doesn't pickup local channels than we just do without.
Now that we are back at our home base we once again receive locals via Direct TV
Glenn,
That's what we do also. I was merely trying to find out how some others on the MOC forum who have posted that they just call DirecTV and tell them they've moved. Thus, they are getting local programming wherever they may be. It's not legal.

Orv
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Orv: We do the same as you do. However if you talk to Directv enough I think anything can happen.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Edited: This (the below) is directly from that link. I guess I just don't understand the "recreational vehicle" portion. It appears it is entirely up to the satellite company. I would not be looking to get local Houston channels, but the national ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX channels as a "distant station."
=========================
"

Unserved Households

If the installation of an outdoor over-the-air rooftop antenna does not provide the local broadcast TV stations you desire, you may qualify as an "unserved household." If you qualify as an "unserved household," you may be eligible to receive "distant signals," or stations that originate outside of your local television market.

The term "unserved household" means a household or subscriber that:

cannot receive, through the use of a conventional, stationary, outdoor rooftop antenna, an over-the-air network signal of Grade B intensity as defined by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC);

has a satellite dish that is permanently attached to a recreational vehicle or a commercial truck; or

is subject to a waiver granted by the television network station.

Using a computer model, your satellite company can tell you if you are predicted to be "unserved." If you are not predicted to be unserved, you may ask your satellite company to request a waiver on your behalf.

As with local signals, your satellite company determines whether to provide distant signals to eligible subscribers and which distant signals will be offered. Satellite companies also may charge an additional fee to local subscribers for these distant signals."
Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Wayne,

That means that you QUALIFY for Distant Network Signals (DNS) from the satellite provider of your choice. This doesn't mean that you can get your LIL (Local into local) for the area you find yourself in. Bummer!

Dish, now that All American Direct is providing DNS, allows you to change your "service" location. When we get to Florida, I will call Dish and let you all know if I am successful in getting Florida LIL.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Orv, I don't think changing the address once a year would be considered too frequent. I would just pick up a local address and change to that. I'm not with DirecTV, but surely that won't foul their system up. We maintain an address here in Rockport, plus the one in East TX with no problems. With the ability for paper free billing from most services now days, the address is almost irrelevant.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Heck! I'd just be happy to have the distant network feeds. They show the 1 hour soaps I'd like to see, Heroes, Sons Of Anarchy, Sarah Connor Chronicles, etc., I'd just record them and skip all the commercials as I do now.

I'm with someone else that stated, when I'm away from Texas City and in East Timbuktu, I just need the East Timbuktu if I can get it on CATV or Air Broadcast. If I can't - I just watch the Sat.

As an after thought, it would be nice to check to see what's going around near the old homestead - but most newspapers have on-line information that I can look at if necessary, or subscribe to.

Does ANYONE have DNS using Dish Network?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Orv, I don't think changing the address once a year would be considered too frequent. I would just pick up a local address and change to that. I'm not with DirecTV, but surely that won't foul their system up. We maintain an address here in Rockport, plus the one in East TX with no problems. With the ability for paper free billing from most services now days, the address is almost irrelevant.
You may be right except for one thing. Our billing address doesn't change and that's what they use for pinpointing the local programming. When we first started full time RVing, we could get our local programming from our "home address" no matter where we were in the country. But the Feds stepped in and made the Satellite TV providers "pinpoint" their signals to the local area where your "permanent address" was. I understand this. So you can see that there is relevance in what your address is.

Orv
Why not change the billing address? I wouldn't think a couple changes a year would be too frequent. I don't have an account with DirecTV, but surely you can change the billing address on line if you go "green". These folks want to sell you a service. I would sure push them on this subject. If they can't tolerate a couple changes a year,simple solution; I would look elsewhere for programming.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I don't know if this will help or not.

The Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004

No Wayne, that doesn't help. That act only applies to one's permanent home where the possibility exists that you can't get local programming using a standard antenna or via cable. Morally, I don't thing it's right to be calling DirecTV every time a person moves their RV to another location for a period of time. For example, we've been here in Desert Hot Sp;rings, CA for almost nine months and my local channels via DirecTV are out of Houston, which I cannot get because I'm not presently located in that zip code area. I get the local channels here via my Winegard antenna and I have the E-W channels through DirecTV, so we're not hurting for programming. I just thought if others were able to get local programming wherever they parked their RV, then I thought I should have it also.

Orv
Ever heard the saying "too much information"? Dang, you've been living in one place nine months and you find it "morally wrong" to say you're living there? Do you maintain a residence in Livingston? Probably not. How can you "morally vote" in Polk County living somewhere else? It is my understanding those mail out ballots are for residents who are out of county on that day, not those living elsewhere. I maintain a residence in East TX, and I'm not in fact sure that I am qualified to vote by mail, even with the ballot mailed to my home address. Some folks really crack me up. Why complain about other folks getting service when you really don't seem to want it to begin with? JMHO
Old 10-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Would everyone please forget that I made that post. I will delete it as soon as I find it.I deny everything. We do not even have direct tv.Nothing I said works..Do not mention the post..I never made it...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What post Rich?
I'm lost!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did a post relating how I changed to the orlando local channels on Directtv when we spent the winters in flordia or for that matter Arizona. We have 2 residences.. a summer (ohio) and a winter Az Florida). I now deny everything in that post because it obviously does not work and Directtv should not be called to attempt the change. I will however continue to do what I do..
Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I did a post relating how I changed to the orlando local channels on Directtv when we spent the winters in flordia or for that matter Arizona. We have 2 residences.. a summer (ohio) and a winter Az Florida). I now deny everything in that post because it obviously does not work and Directtv should not be called to attempt the change. I will however continue to do what I do..
Sorry, I just got riled a bit about the question of this being morally wrong. I got rather pissed about issues like this some time ago. I used a flat panel antenna to pick up pay by the month internet, and was basically told I was stealing it. Duh! I use it now to pick up free wireless from the hotel were the wife works, and, btw, they know I use the service. Same thing here, how can it be morally or legally wrong to have your service changed to FL for six months when you pay for the service? Heck, I know people that change apartments that often. Goes back to the "too much information" category.

I could tell how to get free locals on some of the satellites, but I'm sure some on here would have cardiac arrest, so I'll lay off that subject.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we go to Florida for the winter we do a "temporary change of address" all our mail goes there for the 5 or 6 months we are there. When we return to Ohio we change it back...What is "wrong" with that. If you tell Directtv or dish that you are in a RV they will charge you extra,,,what is "right" with that. We pay for the directtv service includng local channels. It is simple..we stay in the Cleveland ,Ohio spot beam area part of the year and in the Orlando Florida spot beam area part of the year.We pay for local channels..we get them..
Old 10-11-2008, 05:36 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Amen!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
E-W broadcasts, also call Distant Network Service may work for some. Get local channels in two different areas when you move once a year may work for others. Since the original concept of spot beaming local channels was to satisfy the demographics for the advertisers, I think that is being met - and probably in both cases.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You may note that I deleted several of my posts in this thread simply because it appeared they were creating too much sarcasm and cynicsm from some posters. My original intention by starting this thread was merely to provide some information that I obtained from DirecTV. Apparently it struck some wrong chords.

Please forgive me if I unintentionally caused some hard feelings amongst members. Not my intent. From now on I will more closely review my posts to consider the audience I'm writing to. I'm one of those who is never politically correct. I call a spade a spade, not "an earth mover." If a person has to be so minutely careful in everything they write that can possibly be misconstrued in any way, then it's better that no posting is done at all, which I've considered. I really only want to post things that I feel may help someone, rather than just post jocular responses.

Again, forgive me. Someday, we may meet, down the road.

Orv