Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
42 days in our Montana

We just returned from a 42 day work-vacation. I pulled my Monty from Vancouver Island up to Athabaska, then back through Edmonton, Jasper, Prince George and out to Kitimat and we just drove home today from Prince George to Vancouver Island. We logged about 3000 miles. The Monty pulls better than any Fiver I have ever owned. We had lots of high winds. The Montana tracks and pulls like a dream.
Here is a list of issues we had with the unit.

An oak plug fell out of one of the kitchen chairs............. that's it!

Everything worked excellent and even the Mission tires ran cool and held their pressure the whole trip. Keystone builds excellent RVs and we love this Montana more every day we live in it. I never expected to have the good fortune of getting an RV that would be so trouble free but I did. The little modifcations I made worked out well. We love our kitchen faucet with the pull out sprayer and the stair hand rail is something we would not be without and should be standard equipement on a fine unit like a Montana. I have a few ideas for further improvements and I will post them in the improvement forum when I get them done. Take care, Don.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Don & Donna

Thats great news,towing ALL those miles and REALLY nothing went wrong.Sure does tell you something on the build quality of our Montanas(for the most part)
I know I for one enjoy reading and looking at your improverments.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great report!!! Glad to hear things when well. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:06 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Excellent..Gives us a lot more confidence.Having microscopically examining every part of our 3400, a work still in progress, we are more and more impressed with the "general" quality of the unit..Several assembly line quality issues that can be expected but easily corrected. Harley rider..The back up cam from Rv cams is on our short list for purchase. What model do you have and what is your evaluation of the product in terms of quality and function. I would plan to use it more for a rear view mirror than a backing aid..in your experience will that work.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:58 AM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Don and Donna,

That's quite a long list. Great news, I wish everyone the same luck with their Montys!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sounds like a great trip in a great rig! Does not get much better, eh??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Glad to hear that your Monty got a good report card. Hopefully ours will get the same A+ rating that yours has.

Since hubby will be pulling for some long trips it is good to hear that it pulls so great.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing the positive with us.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Wow, a plug fell out of one of your kitchen chairs! Of all things, I think I would take that thing back to the dealer and invoke the lemon law and demand a replacement.
All kidding aside these units are built. We just got back from a trip to Florida without a thing to report as a defect. Well there is one minor thing - please do not let the entomology people of Alabama hear about this but I think the nose cone of our Monty nearly wiped out the lovebug population of Alabama. SHHHH - don't tell everyone - but I got some bounce dryer sheets and they wiped right off. Keystone should make those nose cones so they deflect bugs in my humble opinion.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Rich & Helen

Can`t remember the model I have off hand.It is a 6 inch LCD monitor(color)I mostly use it for driving.Its shows 3 lanes of traffic behind me which is really nice.My camera is mounted on top of my rear ladder.What was a big surprize was how steady the picture is.Now that i just went threw a painful divorce,I travel alone and the ability to see the traffic behind me is very reassuring when changing lanes.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
harley rider..That is exactly what I wanted to hear...Someone else on the forum said the same thing a few months ago so the RV cam is now on our shorter list.Hang in there John...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Don & Donna, sounds like you had a wonderful time. Glad things went so well for you - always a big plus. These Monty's are just grand. We hope to get to Vancouver Island next time we are in your neck of the woods.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Don & Donna

Welcome Home, sounds like you guys had a real good trip. Glad to hear everything worked so well. Our last two longer trips worked out well also, looks like we have all the bugs worked out of our unit. We are planing to come over to Vancouver Island this summer to look for some acreage to retire on. Maybe we'll run into on the way.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
John and Dawn, Give me a call when you come over and we'll get together for sure. I like the Spirit class ferries from Twassen to Swartz Bay and I won't go Duke point any more because of the small ferries and the way they squeeze you next to the big trucks. I rarely take the Horseshoe Bay run because of the heavy city traffic on the Port Mann and Iron Workers Memorial bridges.

Also, the the Swartz Bay run has that nice buffet and we had that again last night. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
Lucky for you! We just took our first trip in our new 2955RL and are bringing it back to have a few things fixed. The radio won't work,the screen door has a huge gap on side,and the toilet won't hold water. I am sure these things are easily corrected. If this is all we have trouble with,that is great,too. We had a KEystone Cougar that had no problems as well. Keystone is the best!
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #16
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Wow, a plug fell out of one of your kitchen chairs! Of all things, I think I would take that thing back to the dealer and invoke the lemon law and demand a replacement.
All kidding aside these units are built. We just got back from a trip to Florida without a thing to report as a defect. Well there is one minor thing - please do not let the entomology people of Alabama hear about this but I think the nose cone of our Monty nearly wiped out the lovebug population of Alabama. SHHHH - don't tell everyone - but I got some bounce dryer sheets and they wiped right off. Keystone should make those nose cones so they deflect bugs in my humble opinion.

I was born and raised in SW Mississippi where it is also bug country and now permanantly in Arkansas and I can tell you that nothing deflects those bugs. But from experience not with just campers but auto's also the only thing I see that helps is a good coat of wax in this area. I had a FW Wilderness and it is not nearly as aero-dynamic as the Monty's and it seemed like a magnet to the lovebugs. Worse thing to do is to leave them on too long and let them get baked on. The dryer sheets work fine for removal as roadrunner stated.
Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #17
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Don & Donna,
Glad you had a great trip! Dano & I just got back from our vaction and covered 2500 miles in 10 days! We had, let's see, ummm, no problems at all! The Monty does follow nicely. We went thru narrow roads in CG's, tunnels, 3 lanes of traffic-mostly semis-in the middle lane, & our Mission tires ran cool too. Sounds like we both have great units!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #18
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Don and Donna, Now that is what I think we all like to hear!! Happy to hear everything went well.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sounds like a wonderful trip! Sure glad that your Montana has been everything you had hoped. May your next journey be just as smooth and enjoyable.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote