Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #21
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I have had Verizon for years and will never change to anyone again. Tried sprint once and that was a huge mistake. The company I work for has gone from Verizon to Cingular and all the drivers wish they had never changed. The coverage is not even as good and there service stinks. Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Had Cingular for two years Now we have Verizon and it works so much better. We can even use our phones now. With Cingular they were expensive paper weights
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #23
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

Had Cingular for two years Now we have Verizon and it works so much better. We can even use our phones now. With Cingular they were expensive paper weights
Cingular bought AT&T's wireless business. I used AT&T OnRate for 8 years prior, traveled 90% of the time all over for business and the service was very good (for me). Since there are really only 3 primary carriers, Sprint(Nextel), Verizon, and Cingular(AT&T), you want to check the coverage maps where you'll most likely be and see what works best for you where you'll be. I know places where I don't get one carrier aren't any better for me with another. If there isn't a tower there just isn't a tower.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #24
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Working in the Industry Nextel (now Sprint/Nextel) and having looked at or used them all, I will tell you the phone I have to pay for is a Verizon and I have never had any problems with Service anywhere the coverage maps say it should work. Unfortunately I have not been able to say that about any of the others. We looked at Cingular but the sales rep could not get a signal in the store (or in the parking lot) when he was trying to activate a phone for the customer in front of me and I just left the store. My old Sprint phone would drop calls without me moving and Nextel coverage is limited and will not change for a while since the network technology is different from Sprints.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:12 AM   #25
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Did have Sprint for traveling till nationwide roaming came into play. I have not had any problems with service where you can get a signal, if no signal nothing works except a Sat. Phone.
I feel the playing field is getting more level, I am on the family plan, 4 phones all roll-over with no roaming(if you travel you need nationwide coverage with no roaming)
I also have a P.C. card now, used the cell phone with cable for years, but this is much better, does cost extra, but when you fulltime and use the internet it is much more convenient.

All said, to each his own, what ever works and makes you happy.

I do have a gate phone that works on any tower, any system, not just GSM.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:41 AM   #26
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have cingular. We have had good service in the West. Where the service was weak we use a Wilson Truckers Antenna and it really boost the signal. I lost my phone in Yuma and can't get a new one with a Oregon number in AZ. Go figure. So we will be a one phone family plan until we get home.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:56 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I can also tell you, that everyone here is talking about network accessability, you are all overlooking something. The BRAND of the cell phone makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in the exact same spot.

We discovered this after my wife and I had different brands and I noticed that she was would be able to carry on a conversation, uninterrupted, through the place on the road, where I not only couldn't keep from being dropped, my phone read "No Service" everytime. And my phone was much more expensive than hers.

I obviously questioned store rep about this. He said he had no idea why, but one company seemed to have far superior RF antenna systems.

I have had Kyocera, LG, Uniden, Nokia, Samsung, and the one brand that WAY outperformed all the others - and not just in one poor reception area... every one - MOTOROLA. Why the other comapnies can't copy that antenna electronics design, I don't know, but it is far superior. I have talked to tech support personnel several times over the years on this issue, and they alway have the same conclusion. It's really amazing to me that there would be THAT much difference in Moto's RF technology.

I know there are other cell brands out there, so maybe one of them is equal to Moto models, but I can surely tell you that you need to be careful judging a service carrier's coverage, without taking into STRONG consideration the brand of cell phone you are using. They are NOT all created equal. Many are slanted towards urban teens who spend millions texting and downloading cute ringtones. In downtown New York or Los Angeles, you do not need a superior antenna to make money for these cell phone companies - poor return on their investment developing better antennas...

When Cheryl and I downsized into this apartment up here in hilly NW Mich, we had to get rid of her LG 5550 that she loved, because it wouldn't work in our apt. I got her a Moto V262, and she has never had any problems. I already had switched to a V710. No one else's phone works in here, unless it's a Moto phone.

I really like some of the other brands of cell phones, but I am extremely leary of their reception, so I will stay with Moto. I do not just use my phone to talk a couple minutes a month as some here do. I use my phone extensively as a tool and I need access to a good data sytem, and a feature rich phone. While I don't like text messaging (I think it's a lucrative market that cell companies are taking way too much advantage of, financially - especially in the financially naive teen market), I do email and receive email, check the news, stocks, weather, Mapquest, calendar, etc.

I don't really think I it's necessary to step up to a "smart phone", as I believe that's why we have LAPTOPS...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:09 AM   #28
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
FWIW, we just went to Verizon from AT&T. The coverage is much better, with better reception. Seems like with AT&T the coverage is OK until you get off of the interstate highway system, then it's pretty spotty. Look at a coverage map and you can really see the difference.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What am I missing here? Alltel national coverage is substantially better then ATT/Cingular or Verizon as far as I can see. Verizon's mapping is very difficult and confusing to figure out. I could not pull up a single "National coverage" map like I could with Alltel and Cingular.

I know that these maps all have disclaimers as to accuracy, but Alltel is not THAT inaccurate, to where you could interpret both these maps to be equal - with Cingular, anyway. If someone could provide a link to Verizon's SINGLE national coverage map, that would be great.

Alltel National Coverage Map:
http://www.alltel.com/personal/wirel...om_map_775.gif

ATT/Cingular National Coverage Map:
http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cel..._mapfinder.jsp

Verizon National Coverage Map???
Old 03-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well here is something to consider..Carriers put their towers were the people are.If you are around interstates, turnpikes, major highways,Cities, large and small, no matter who the carrier you will get a signal.As you travel into low profitability areas for the carriers there are less apt to be towers or as many towers.Simple , fewer people, fewer cell phones, less people using them, less profit.Sure when we were in the movie set at old Tuscon, no signal for anyone, also no people, no towns...I have two cell phones..Mine a Moto..Cingular, the other ,school phone, Moto, verison..never have a problem. We are in a densely populated area..many people, many cell phones many towers.. The brand of phone does make a difference.Moto has a better antenna system..Where you are makes a difference. The cell signal can not pass through buildings, large trees, hills, mountains, through that 18 wheeler passing you, underground, and the signal is in the uhf range of frequencies and line of sight..range 12 15 miles from A Tower.The situation is improving as carriers build or share more and more towers.Next time you see a cell tower note the number of little building at its base..that will tell you the number of carriers sharing that tower. The only near perfect system is Satellite such as skytel that we had in the Government..anywhere, anyplace as long as you could see the satellite.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #31
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

What am I missing here? Alltel national coverage is substantially better then ATT/Cingular or Verizon as far as I can see. Verizon's mapping is very difficult and confusing to figure out. I could not pull up a single "National coverage" map like I could with Alltel and Cingular.

I know that these maps all have disclaimers as to accuracy, but Alltel is not THAT inaccurate, to where you could interpret both these maps to be equal - with Cingular, anyway. If someone could provide a link to Verizon's SINGLE national coverage map, that would be great.

http://www.alltel.com/personal/wirel...om_map_775.gif

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cel..._mapfinder.jsp

You may be missing roaming the roaming aspect of the equation.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #32
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I agree with dave you got to get a good phone with what ever company you choose, I have always had a MOTO and had good service w/Altel and cingular. the people i know that got the FREE phones have had problems, I always bought a better one, you get what you pay for
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 315RLS

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Alltel

AT&T

You may be missing roaming the roaming aspect of the equation.
315RLS,

The roaming is noted on both "National" plans, I believe. All dark blue on Alltel, and the darker color (whatever that is ) on Cingular are "Local" - no roaming. I believe the lighter coloring on both maps are roaming, and the "white" areas on both are "No Service" areas.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how to interpret these maps?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #34
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Trailer Trash it was Air Touch back then in Washington.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #35
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Verizon has done well by us. Mom and I each carry a Motorola and the rigs are equiped with magnetic base booster antenna - one in the T.V. and one in the coach. Coast to Coast signal has been good for us - even off the beaten path most times.

We are grandfathered in on the 7:00pm/7:00am free hours and use extensively the free anytime Verizon/Verizon cell service with other family and friends also holding Verizon plans. Our home hardwire line is bare bone basic only - haven't used their long distance for years.

Since everyones requirements are not the same - choices are good.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I note on that Cingular national coverage map there is that spot in north Western PA that indicates no coverage and that is absolutly correct.That is the Allegany national forest and there are few people up there and few towns and lots of mountains. Cingular, alltel, verison, none of them work there..been there done that.. Only got a signal by climing 100 feet up a fire tower and got a weak signal from Warren , PA.And have been in places in AZ were the map says no coverage and worked fine..There are many places in this country were you will just not get a signal..And those booster antenna work fine in a weak signal area, have one..But..if there is no signal...it will not create one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #37
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Dave
Go to verizonwireless.com and in the single line box where it says start with click there and go to individual plans. There is a coverage map there for there plans. I am in Colorado as you know and the phone service you speak of has no offices around here that I am aware of. Local verizon store says they have the best luck with LG phones. You could't give me another Motorola Phone. Earpiece volume is not loud enuf and there ringers are very hard to hear. Al
Old 03-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #38
xea
Established Member

M.O.C. #5306
I am very new to Rving matter of fact we havn't taken our rig out yet. But you guys have been so helpful to me I hope I can help some of you. I have cingular, I had at&t when they merged, before that I had sprint. We switched from sprint to at&t because at&t had way better coverage in the boonies. (reno) we have since moved to oregon. I can say that from Reno to vancouver, I have been very happy with Cingular/at&t I havn't tried it back east so I can't compare. For me it is because I am on an old plan noone else can match I probably won't switch.

The thing I really wanted to weigh in on was Sprint's Aircard. I live in an area where I don't get highspeed coverage so I tried out aircards. Tried cingular for 80/mo dropped calls all the time, moved to Sprint and it was 60/month with great signal and speed. I wouldn't say it was as fast as cable but it is very fast for a moble type of coverage. As you can tell I am very happy with the air card, and I feel the price is resonable too.
xea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Al, could you give me the link? I can only find "State" maps, not a single "national" map. I really didn't want to paste 40 or so regional maps together to get the "big" picture of their national coverage. One nice thing about these "regional" maps is that you can see an area close up - impossible with the other two maps.

Of course if these "approximate" coverage borders are not that accurate, it doesn't make any difference if you can see them up close or with a National map.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #40
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Dave
It's a pop up within the individual rate plans within the verizonwireless site. WWW.verizonwireless.com Along the left side you will see the box for single rate plans click there and the next page will give you the Americas choice national coverage map. Someone who is smarter than me with these computers could probably do that. But you are working with a limited computer operator here Sorry Al