Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
Mildew on exterior molding & caulk

I've had a time cleaning mildew that seems to form on exterior molding, paricularly around windows and doors. I reached out for help in another online forum and found a solution I'd like to pass on. Clorox makes a pen. It has an applicator on both ends, one wide and one fine. The clorox comes out as a gel rather than a liquid. I put it on and leave it for awhile...sometimes overnight. It does a good job. You can even save a little money and refill it with clorox gel instead of buying the pen every time.

Montana_2547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
masonsand the gel pen idea is really great and works righ to the point of the problem. I have some spray that came from Camping World that is not suppose to hurt the finish. Has the gel left any marks or strips on the filon walls? Take care.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

Has the gel left any marks or strips on the filon walls? Take care.
None whatsoever!!
Old 12-11-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
Montana_2608
Established Member

M.O.C. #2608
I was recently found to be allergic to quite a bit of common things, including mold and mildew. My Dr. gave me a paper that had many products for people with this problem. Being a long time RV owner, I found something that really rang a bell with me concerning this problem. There are two products anyone with an RV should look into. Here they are, taken right off of a website:
"NAS-12 - This is a pre-mixed liquid, easy to use and contains no chlorine. It is safe, non-toxic, biodegradable, odorless and works great for the removal of mold stains just like bleach."
"No More Mildew - From an industrial use formula, No More Mildew forms an invisible, micro-thin coating to prevent mold, mildew and bacteria growth for up to two full years and has virtually no odor!"
I haven't used either product yet, but I've ordered two gallons of each and intend to clean my RV inside and out with it. One website where I found these products is:
http://www.natlallergy.com/

Just click on the "safe cleaning" icon, then on "Mold Control" on the second page, second heading on the left and you can "read all about it!" It states that its safe to use on most any surface. They also have a "Mold Cleanup Kit" which is what I bought.

PS to Sandy N Susan...WOW!!...what a beautiful RIG!!!
Montana_2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
The molding around my Montana was alful looking when I bought it.3 years sitting on the dealers lot did it I guess.what I used was a brillo pad.made the molding look brand new again.Really made a difference in the over all appearence.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not too sure about the Brillo pad thing. I would be very careful with steel wool and after you've cleaned it I would be getting some wax or protectant back on in a hurry.

I used Greased Lightning and an old tooth brush. Spray it on, let it set for a couple seconds, scrub a little with the tooth brush and rinse it off. Did mine at the same time I did the roof, again with the Greased Lightning. Scrub it, Rinse it, washed the entire rig with Blue Corral Wash and Wax. Looks as good as new.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:24 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Glen and Lorraine

Used the brillo pad about 4 monthes ago.So far I haven`t seen any adverse effects from using it.The molding still looks like new.At the time my molding was a dark brown in color.It was bad.Are we talking about the same thing I wounder?Its the trim that is soft to touch that runs around the whole outside of the Montana.Its kinda thin but would protect the outside if some one was to open a car door on it.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sandy N Susan, does one buy this pen at grocery stores and walmarts everywhere?
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #9
Montana_2547
Established Member

M.O.C. #2547
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Sandy N Susan, does one buy this pen at grocery stores and walmarts everywhere?
Thanks.
I bought it at a Super WalMart in the same isle as laundry detergent. They are very common and come on a card with plastic holding it on. I believe they call that a blister pack.

Another great spot remover is a product called Ooops!! Bought it at WalMart also. Found it in the hardware dept. close the paint. Like in the area with paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. Doesn't work on mold, but it's a killer on most anything else.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #10
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
The Clorox pen works like a champ. The only negative that I have heard is that if it is not rinsed off thoroughly, it can attack the silicon sealant used to seal between the metal strip and the wall of the rig. I think that any solution that is on the basic end of the pH scale would do the same. Not sure about a mild acidic mixture. The points on the pen makes it easy to pinpoint where you want the Clorox gel to be and care will keep it in the proper place. I have not had any adverse effects on the filon finish. Where we base from, the humidity and ambient temp grows the mold very quicky so it is a constant task.

travel safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote