Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
HD TV

I understand that an optional LCD HD TV is available. My question is, how well does the HD reception work with the supplied Winegard antenna? And, if using DirecTV, does the smaller 3 LNB antenna work acceptably well in receiving the HD signals?

We have the larger "HD antenna" for our home. Some have said this is required to receive the "local channel HD" signals, but since these are often unavailable when on longer trips, the easier to set up, smaller dish antenna works just fine. What have y'all experienced?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have an 08 3000RK which has 2 HD TV's and the Winegard antenna works great. When I did the channel search it found 16 channels and I could not understand why, that is when I found out that the TV's where HD (no info in the packet about it). When it was done I tuned in the HD channels and they where clear and crisp, it even picked up a couple more that my house antenna won't pick up for over the air HD.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
In doing an Internet search, I have found the following info that relates to the DirecTV service that I currently have.

DirecTV currently transmits HD signaling on at least 3 satellites, thus at least a 3 LNB dish antenna is required to receive most of the current HD transmissions. As most DirecTV subscribes know, DirecTV is in the process to airing more HD channels - many on what they call the Ka-Band. Thus, receiving all HD signals requires their latest Ku/Ka band dish antenna, along with its greater difficulty in set up.

In the past, I could position my 18" dish in approximately 2 minutes with no more than a compass and the wife on the Walki-Talki. In preparing to upgrade our 5vr TV's for DTV - and since the wife is getting used to HD, it looks like I will be looking at hauling the larger 5 LNB dish around and taking more time to make it work in the future.

Any other ideas out there?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have the 3 LNB dish, super 18 I think is what it is called and it picks up all of the new HD channels. What you need to have is the B band converter for all input connections (mine has 2 connections) to the receiver, this allows it to decode the new HD channels.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
You will need a 5 lnb to pick up the new channels and rumors are that the current ones you are getting with a 3 lnb are going to be moved to the new satellites.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
For Direct we need, as Bill noted, the 5-LNB dish to receive the newer HD channels (Mpeg-4). I've got one on the roof at home. It's big and complex. I'll need a bigger tripod to support its weight and I'm not sure if it can be aimed without an expensive ($100-$200) meter. Has anyone out there used the 5-LNB dish while in the RV? How hard was the aiming process? Any tips?
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have been using the 5 lnb since last fall, have set it up 6 or 8 times and was no more difficult than the 3 lnb. The secret is, as has been said before, getting it level before you make your settings. We are currently in RGV and when we arrived last month I had a problem with a couple of the satelites 119 and 99b, could not pick up a signal from either. On the second day without changing a thing I was picking up a good signal from 119 but still nothing on 99b but I was getting all my channels including HD. I went on Direct TV tech forum and found out that they are changing a bunch of the channels and 99b is only spot beamed locals now. Everything is working fine, but who knows what they are doing with those satelites. You really dont even need a meter, but I use my old 30 dollar meter to get the compass setting.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have the 5 LNB dish and as Bill Collier says it is not difficult at all to align. Secret is level the thing first. Get your figures from TV, set them and then just rotate dish to azimuth and you get a signal. I just use the $30.00 signal finder from Winegard and works great. I am receiving around 90 HD stations. Channel 92 is the HD guide. I also get East and West coast feeds but only West coast in HD (Not sure why this ). Will check with DirecTV when I get time to hold for tech support.......I did sign up for the HD package. DW loves it, YES!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Thanks for the assurances.

Looks like after I've added four golf cart batteries and an inverter, HD will be my next upgrade. I was able to get two HDDVRs (replacing two HD Tivos)for practically nothing last June. (Actually, after the discounts and programming credits, I made money, and was able to sell the Tivos on E-bay, but that's another story). I need to call Direct and convince them they need to send me another free HDDVR.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Bill,

What's this about "another" free HDDVR? I currently have 1 HD and 1 non-HD receiver, and would like to replace the non-HD with HD. I have been told that the HD receiver will cost me $100. What's the scoop?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
There is a very long (VERY LONG) thread at DBStalk.com about the deals customers received from Directv. It's too long to read entirely, but you should skip through it, especially the more recent posts (before the thread was closed. There is little consistency, but if you scan through it, you'll see many customers got their HDDVRs for free, or better. I had to pay a shipping charge for the two of about $20, but got programming credits that more than offset the costs of the receivers.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...ght=deals+free
Old 03-13-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
harryd2
Established Member

M.O.C. #2373
I have the 5 lpn dish that I put on a 8'by10"by1" treated board cut 3'by5' boted togather in cross shape. I level the post find the tilt, evelation and asmunth put the antanina on it have my wife tell me when I get a signal (5min to 1& a half hours)
harryd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
King Dome. Don't worry about HD as the regular picture is beautiful on the View Sonic. TV is HDTV ready.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! an "after post"

When I set up the Sat Receiver the king dome did a search and found Sat 119. HD channels were not available. This morning I did a search for 110 and HD Channels showed up in the Guide. King dome only has one LNB with two feeds to the Hanna. I have one of the newer boxes Dish 722 receiver and in dual mode watch independent channels in LR or BR without disturbing the other TV.

Question. Has anyone received both 119 and 110 at the same time with a king dome or a ground unit with two LNB's or more?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
rickfox, I have used the 5 LNB Direct-Tv dish quite some time when we were full timing. I still have the 5 LNB dish, but when we build another house Direct-TV came out and installed what called a Slim Line dish and it does the same as the 5 LNB its just a little less cumbersome. Yes I set the 5 LNB up with just using the TV and cell phones and wife no problem. Direct-Tv will be out Friday and install the Dish and the HDTV receiver in our new 5th wheel. I ask for a Tri-Pod mount but I don't think than will happen. But I have two Tri-Pods from full timing days. So I'm ready for the excuse of them wanting to put it on a stationary pole, not going to happen. It will be mounted on a Tri-Pod. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote