Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Mapping Software

I have the DeLorme Street Atlas now but I'm thinking of buying the Microsoft 2010 Streets and Trips. I've seen a video where you can download your route from Streets and Trips into your nuvi gps. Is the Streets and Trip easy to use or do you find it difficult?

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have used much older versions of Delorme Street Atlas, but for trip planning I used Delorme's Map'n'Go. Then I started using Microsoft Streets which was bundled in the PCs as I upgraded my systems every other year and it provided both Altas and trip planning functions and still use it today. The learning curves are about the same for both. Microsoft Streets and Trips is very intuitive to use in my opinion.

To be fair I have not used Delorme products in some years because of the bundling with new PCs, but I would guess that it is equivalent to the Microsoft offering by now. Since you are familiar with Delorme mapping products, I am pretty sure the buzzwords and functions have equivalent and obvious solutions with Streets and Trips and therefore will be easy for you to learn.

The older versions of the Streets and Trips required its own GPS that I did not use. I hope the new 2010 version you describe is not as restrictive. It's a good feature if it allows transport of plans to a Nuvi or something else. My B-I-L just acquired this version and I have not had a chance to check it out.

Let me know how you like 2010 S&T.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've used Delorme's Street Atlas with a laptop computer for nine years of full timing. We upgrade the software every couple years. Right now we have the 2010 version.

I believe all the mapping software is good and I wouldn't hesitate, if I was starting out, to go with any of them.

We happen to like Delorme's products.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I've used S&T for several years. I find it fairly easy to use, but you have to remember that computers are not really smart, if you feed it poor info, you will get poor results. After you have planned a route, go over it carefully to make sure that it makes sense. The commonest mistake I make is to place a waypoint on the wrong side of an interstate. That can get you going in circles if you are not careful.

We use the MS GPS "puck" but I have hooked up to our geocaching hand held GPS, and it will work that way too. Probably what you are used to is what works best.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't have a GPS but I have been using S&T for years and find it a great mapping software. I would highly recommend it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have all three and Streets & Trips is very user frendly, compaired to Garmin's Map Source, and DeLorme.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
birdie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1169
Dennis I am sitting here playing with Streets and Trips now it is the 09 version. Had it on may old laptop till it died think it was 03 not sure. I like it.
Birdie tell Sharon Hi
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
You can download a 60 day free trial of Streets and Trips here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I just downloaded the trial version of 2010 S&T and I found that the maps in the area where I live are STILL not updated. This is VERY dissappointing, since that is the thing that irritated me with my older version of S&T. I value mapping software on its accuracy first, then the user interface a close second.

I had a 2004 or 2005 version of S&T. Microsquish has since come out with a 2006, 2008, 2009 and now a 2010 version and the maps are improved but far from updated. What's worse is that the 2010 version ties into Bing and if you don't watch out will change your browsers to use Bing and MSN as the defaults! I hate when they do that - leave my customizations alone! THEN, if you look at the maps on Bing (kind of like Google maps), those maps are more accurate, but S&T that plans your route doesn't use the more accurate maps from Bing.

What I am getting at is follow Ontmont's advice and be careful about the planning. For example, I plotted a trip from Murrieta, CA where I live to Anchorage, AK. It created a route about 400 miles farther by using I-15 instead of the much shorter I-5 route. I had to force a stop in Seattle to get it to plot my more preferred route. The old S&T did not do this. This means they changed their map routing algorithms. They removed the ferry option in route planning so I can't find a way to get on the Southeast Passage between Seattle and Juneau/Skagway. This was also not a problem in the older version.

So far I am disappointed on the update and I have spent just one day. The best thing so far is support for more GPS units but mine are not on the list. "tbhd's" is on the list! I found a review that had the same negatives, and now I know why they were also disappointed.

I will take advantage of the 60 day trial to iron this out so I might have more to add. Buying the software is only $40 and you get to also have a second copy on a laptop where I would use my Garmin handheld as the GPS unit if I can figure out how especially since it's not on the supported list (I am pretty good at faking out software, by using hardware, but this is not guaranteed).

Summary: The user interface is great, as usual. It is easier to use out-of-the-box than most, but the data is still too old for minor streets and names. I still have to check but I wish they had downloaded upgraded maps. However, the major thoroughfares are covered and there are ways to manipulate route determination but this can be more difficult to figure out. I need to evaluate Delorme one of these days to make a fair comparison. But for tbhd I think for $40 it's definitely worth a try especially to incorporate the Nuvi! It will provide 95% of the trip planning. Just verify the route and create stops to better define the route you want to get to 100%. The database with 1000's of POIs is very good. There is also a feature that provides coupons for various businesses in the areas you visit but this is another subscription to another service and you'll need a printer to get a hardcopy to provide for the business.

I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I downloaded the free 60 day trial offer yesterday and it took 6+ hours with my hispeed dsl connection. I tryed it on a routing to great falls montana and it took me to Chicago. No way hoza as they say. All the diferent mapping software that I have tryed on that routing has me going to Chicago from southern Indy. I prefer to put a straight edge to an atlas map of the US and draw a staight line between my two points, and follow the clossest good roads including interstates. Works for me just fine.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, we have been using Google maps and Rand McNally for over two years. Google allows you to move your route wherever you want. We then check it against RM Truckers Atlas to be sure we are OK with heights and routes. Print out the written instructions and carry them with us. We then use our onboard nav system, BUT, we alter it to the routing we have checked. In other words, I NEVER totally put complete faith in the GPS thing with the trailer connected. When we disconnect from trailer, we use the NAV system as primary guidance. A little different without the Montana connected. It would be nice to transfer our routing to our Nav system but I don't think we can do that. When we take a different turn than what the nav system tells us it usually reroutes us properly. BTW. We have the indash Nav system from GM. We also have a Magellan Road Mate for backup.....But it needs updating also......We tried to use Copilot at one time but it was not very user friendly, at least for us......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Thanks everyone. I'm still thinking about it. It might be a good present for Santa Claus to bring me before we leave for warmer climates.

Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Dennis Costco sell it for 29.00 2009 or 2010 cant remember which year
Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I use to use the S&T solely till I got a GPS unit,now I use it as a backup and to check bridge clearances due to a second air-conditioner
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I use 2008 S&T and like it fairly well. We plan trips constantly to check out trip times. I like that I can schedule layovers. I think they should add a "via" so that you can force routing where you want it and I'd like to be able to specify a start date. I didn't know that I can check bridge heights - how? We stick the GPS puck on top of the interior sliding cover for the sunroof, so it can see the satellites easily, and drop the cable to the laptop, which usually sits on the seat console.
I looked at the S&T packages in Best Buy. You can buy with and without the GPS puck, but you lose a feature if you buy it without. I forget which feature, though.... I might go and research this, if I get around to it.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have been using the Delorme for the past 4 years with the GPS puck on the dash--no problems. We also have a hand-held GPS from DeLorme for goecaching. I think sticking with one manufacturer for both geocaching and driving simplies issues. So far I update annually and have been very pleased with the results. I use Delorme Street Atlas for trip planning and navigation and Topo USA for the geocaching stuff since it has a download button on the Geocaching site. I don't have experience with other products but would expect similar performance.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
How did we ever make with only paper maps?
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote