Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
POI's and Database in RGV area? Terrible?

Been in the RGV in Weslaco Texas and notice that my Garmin 330, purchased in May 2007, is terrible in this area. The POI info is woefull and inacurate. I have all the current software and hardware updates installed. I have used it all over the country and this is by far the worst I have seen it. I am using the 2007 data and have considered getting the 2008 update but am afraid its not any better. Does anybody have any info on this dilemma? Is the 2008 data any more accurate or complete than the 2007 version? Has anyone else experienced data in different parts of the country better or worse than other parts of the country? I am from Wisconsin and find it very accurate there, in California, New Mexico, and all over the East Coast. Comments?

danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dan, we have the Garmin 660 with 2008 software. It seems up to date but noticed while in Chillicothe OH for Christmas, some of my son's town streets were "woeful" but not terrible.

I did call Garmin on an unrelated issue and believe me they are great in the assist category.

Recommend you call them direct for help with your exact question if no one can help you here. Garmin seems very customer oriented and may even give you 2008 free. Try Them! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al purchased an update from Garmin late 2007, and you are right, there is TONS of stuff down in the Valley that is missing in action, we were on several roads today, and over the last month, that do not exist per Garmin, and these are NOT new roads.

With all the trouble we had uploading this update (another nightmare story that went on and on for weeks), we are not very happy at this moment either.

Not sure how they get the POI data, but the flipping streets and roads and highways and stuff should be better than this, per Garmin they do not even exist. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No, we have not called them, YET!

On Edit, Guess I'll save my energy and not bother with the phone call, I just loaded up Microsoft Streets and Trips, 2008, and same thing, NO roads!! no 2 mile, no 3 mile, no nothing north of the 83 around Mission. Bizarre, don't remember it that way last year, but, I don't remember a lot of stuff these days!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have the in-dash system and it has been flawless until RGV, it goes crazy around 83 and the frontage roads, cut backs ect, trying to get me to a programed POI. It keeps wanting me go in circles, which I can do by myself. Other than around 83 it seems to work fine, however the POI's leave a lot to be disired, many are just not listed.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You got me curious, so I just checked my S&T 2008. Those streets are all there as well as POIs like campgrounds, and "Excalibur bar & grill" but you do seem to have to zoom in an extra level to see them.

In S&T, you do have go into the View menu to set which POIs are displayed. Don't know if Garmin is anyway similar.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK John, I'll give ya this one, but there is no reason that 2 mile and 3 mile north of 83 should disappear like that. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sometimes I don't like computers!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Carol: Don't try following Nolana on your GPS. It quits around Ware. I think that there has been so many changes in the RGV in the past 7 yrs.,that we have been coming down, here that there isn't any way that the changes can be kept up. I guess I will save my $$ because I was going to get the 08 update.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
I suspect that Garmin's database is obtained from a 3rd party source and consequently all GPS models that share the same data will be deficient in the same area's. Perhaps someone with a Tom Tom or another brand will speak up and verify this. Any other model user have the same problem in the RGV area? For example, I did a search for a STAPLES in the area and it directed me to a house on Jackson street in Pharr. In an area that was impossible for Staples to even been in the past. Is there an address or phone number you can call in or notify errors?
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dan,

try this link for info, such as downloads, and telephone contacts for Garmin. Good Luck.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #10
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Guess who Garmin gets there updated maps from?? What I have read in the past has indicated they get allot of it from Microsoft Streets and Trips (But who knows where they get it). I have a C340 and have found the same things with mine at times. I have even had mine show roads that did not exist yet also. I also am planning to get the map update for mine. I have also read reviews on the update and some people still complained about things not being there. This is the cheapest prices I have found it for http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6435074
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think the source for most mapping programs, and paper maps, is Navteq: http://www.navteq.com/about/data.html
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
My brother-in law has a garmin c330 and called garmin about updating to the 2008 map. They told him the 330 does not have enough memory to hold the new 2008 info. Told him he could still use it by just downloading the part of the country he plans to visit.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ontmont, you are correct. There are only several sources for that data. And, by the way, Garmin and Tom Tom Go both use Navteq maps in their units. Last year both got in a bidding war to buy Navteq and I believe Nokia ended up buying them. In fact, if you want to see how the maps are created, go to CNet where they follow Navteq.http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-10863_7...tml?tag=ss_prv I am not sure who Microsoft gets their data from, but I think that DeLorme collects their own. Hope this helps explain it better.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
From what I've been reading, most are saying the 2008 map update is a waste of money. Many are waiting until fall when the 2009 update comes out.

If you really need the 2008 update, this is the lowest I've found it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have two Garmins, Streets and Trips, Street Atlas, and the truck has a builtin gps. All have that same problem. The POI info, as John noted, is from 3rd party sources. I don't know where they get it. The maps are also third party, most from navteq, as John noted also. My understanding is the mapping sources get their information from government sources. The roads will be no better than government maps.

Our last neighborhood in Topeka, KS, was totally screwed up on the official government city map and every Topeka map I ever saw. All of my mapping applications listed above have the exact same anomalies as those govt maps. So I'd guess they all use the same source.

I often can find what I want using the Find feature on the Garmin. When not, I look at the phone book or the internet and enter the street address into the Garmin. A bandaid at best but better than nothing at all.

Unless the list of changes for new map versions compel me to purchase, I do not update until two or three years.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -
I was surprised, but Navteq is actually collecting their own road data. If you follow the link I posted above, they are running a vehicle with a driver and a navigator and collecting data onto a computer with a GPS as they drive. In the article they show the setup and describe how they are doing it. I also originally thought they were using USGS maps.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #17
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by danlinserv

I suspect that Garmin's database is obtained from a 3rd party source and consequently all GPS models that share the same data will be deficient in the same area's. Perhaps someone with a Tom Tom or another brand will speak up and verify this. Any other model user have the same problem in the RGV area? For example, I did a search for a STAPLES in the area and it directed me to a house on Jackson street in Pharr. In an area that was impossible for Staples to even been in the past. Is there an address or phone number you can call in or notify errors?
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, that's good to hear, about them updating their maps themselves. I wonder if they are also updating POI's. I'll go read that article.

Also, Garmin entered into an extended contract with NavTeq last November to use their maps through 2015 with an option to renew through 2019.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/111607.html

I had Street Atlas on my old laptop and Streets and Trips on both. All had the exact same anomalies in our old neighborhood, same as the official city map. So I guess they were all using the same source, at least at that time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #19
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
I have a Tom Tom 720 which I bought in Brownsville and also saw streets are missing. On the way to Ft Brown Golf Course (which is not on the POI data base) my GPS showed we were going across a field as we were on University Av in front of the college.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We spent a half a day running around the RGV to find the 2008 upgrade for our Garmin 2720 because it was on sale for fifty dollars at Best Buy but they didn't have any. Got one at Circuit city. It still "misfires" a lot. Was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. And as we found out, made the mistake of driving into Mexico and got lost. GPS don't work there. Our neighbor in a campground claims his Maggelan works fine there. Anybody have one care to comment?
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote