Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
new GPS unit

Picked up a new GPS unit. It is a Nuvi 1490T by Garmin. It has a 5" screen and has a better and louder voice. What I need to know is sources of points of interest (POI) downloads. I understand that some are available that area helpful.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The Garmin website has some there. How are you enjoying the Northwest Fall.
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Stiles,

I use this one and it has about everything .

http://www.poi-factory.com
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you go to this web site you will find a link to a POI page. (Second Column, Second Item)

And if you go to this web site you will have a direct link to a bunch of POI's. (Choose your weapon)

I just couldn't resist.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Stiles, I use this one and it has about everything .

http://www.poi-factory.com
Thanks so much awaywego. We didn't know about this site. Thanks to you we've downloaded lots of new "points of interest" to our Garmin. Great info.
Dick and Sharon

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dick and Sharon,

Glad you are able to use the site. I was amazed at all the info.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
My NUVI Garmin is about 3 years old and I had to add a SD card so POI's could be downloaded. The loader would only put them on a card. I learned about POI Library about 2 months ago from RV.net. You will need, at least mine did, a Garmin POI loader available at the site listed below. When you download a POI file to your pc create a sub-directory for each one under a main directory. When you do this you can load everything from the main directory when the loader asks for a location and the sub-directory names will be the file name listed under POI's on the Garmin.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=927
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Also, when you download the POI's, you can also load an Icon and MP3 file along with it. We have the Low Clearance file and Dunkin Donuts on our Nuvi 680.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Here is another site with POI's. It has POI information on more than just the Garmin.

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

Use the TXT files for Garmin and the Garmin POI Software to create a file for your POI's.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonT

My NUVI Garmin is about 3 years old and I had to add a SD card so POI's could be downloaded. The loader would only put them on a card. I learned about POI Library about 2 months ago from RV.net. You will need, at least mine did, a Garmin POI loader available at the site listed below. When you download a POI file to your pc create a sub-directory for each one under a main directory. When you do this you can load everything from the main directory when the loader asks for a location and the sub-directory names will be the file name listed under POI's on the Garmin.

Really good info, Ron. Thanks!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the poi links. I've downloaded quite a few since reading this and they will be very helpful in our travels.

Stiles, congratulations on the new unit. You mentioned larger screen and louder voice. What did you have before? I just got a new one last month also is why I'm wondering. The voice is not as loud as my old streetpilot 2720 but is plenty loud enough when set at 90%. I liked that old 2720 a lot but the newer ones have some features that finally caused me to scrape the mold off the wallet.. like wanting lane assist after towing straight through (well, that's not exactly straight) Houston and its road construction in a driving rain with heavy traffic and never being in the right lane for my next required maneuver. Lane assist will really be nice. I like the speed limits on the screen, also. And the traffic info, although I hope I never need that.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Originally posted by RonT

I have downloaded the loader and now need to know how or where to find the POIs to enter?
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I got many from here. Registration is free. You can download gpx or cvs files and poi loader can handle them. It's amazing what poi's are available here.

http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles/alpha

Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks,Steve. Safe travels to you folks!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and Pam, if you have MapSource, that came with your Garmin, you can open the gpx files to see if it's something you want to put into the Garmin. Maybe you already know this.

If you download a cvs file, then if you have Microsoft Streets and Trips then you can Data/Import Data Wizard the csv file into Streets and Trips for the same purpose. During the import, the first column is longitude, the second is latitude. The third I identify as "name" and the fourth, if there is a fourth, I identify as "name2" even if it is an address or zip or something like that. Otherwise, the next thing I'll tell you doesn't work right. Once in S&T you can, if you want, Data/Export GPX File and create a file with gpx extension that can then be opened in MapSource, should you want to do that.

POI Loader will load from either csv or gpx so the above is only needed if you want to create a file that works with mapsource for some reason.