Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
road to yellowstone

Hi, new to the board. I enjoy lurking but now need some assitance. what better place to ask? I think I finally have the wife talked into Yellowstone, we are flatlanders, northern illinois, and she has a thing about mountain driving, once she is on foot she is ok, it's the drive...She has handled the black hills, badlands, smokey mountains etc, but for some reason, she is really "in doubt" about heading into the rockies. is there a site, or information about the drive into yellowstone? I would like to get as close as possible with the rig before camping, I hate a long drive everyday to site see, any recomendations??

gobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Most sites are first-come first-serve in Yellowstone, but Monty's are too large to fit in most. Only Fishcamp which is smack in the middle of Yellowstone is large enough and one of the few that take reservations. But call early because they fill up fast and you need to provide your length of RV and TV so they can find a site to accomodate you. This is the best bet while in Yellowstone because it is centrally located.

Prior to getting there you will probably be taking I-90 or another westerly route to get to I-90 in North Dakota then after entering Wyoming you can head west toward Yellowstone probably SR14 through Cody, WY then on into Yellowstone on the far side of the state - I believe there are some climbs but nothing precarious. Personally, I have not used that road, but I have used the Southern, Eastern and Northern routes from Utah, Montana and Idaho and getting there via those routes is not very difficult as highways through mountains goes. You can either continue using the Eastern route I mentioned and have never done or you can proceed into Montana and enter Yellowstone from the north which is very doable in an RV - I know others have commented on the Eastern side entrance.

I am not sure what about driving through the Rockies concerns your wife but sticking to major roads into Wyoming from Illinois are considered very doable for a rig. In these forums many have commented on these roads and have mentioned that while the climbs and descents can be long, they are not dangerous at all. The main difference from an automobile will be slower driving and if you ignore the impatient, inconsiderate drivers like I have learned to do, you will do fine. Remember, you pay more for road use that unsafe drivers - let them figure a way around you. Just keep safe.

If the concerns are cliffs (like in the movie "The Long Trailer" with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball) you won't run into anything like that.

Stay relaxed - it's a long and scenic drive.
Drink plenty of water - Staying hydrated helps avoid altitude sickness.
Take your time - You'll see more, enjoy it more and you'll get there anyway.
Bring a camera - you'll be astounded at the beauty

While in Yosemite you will probably be driving everywhere but not for very long because the park is 100 miles north/south and 100 miles east/west and none of the roads run straight. However, planning to visit each quadrant of the park per day means less time spent driving. This allows you to stop often to see plentiful wildlife, plentiful attractions and even go on a few hikes since not EVERYTHING is right off the road. The parking everywhere is plentiful even for a large truck but you won't be alone especially going in the popular summer months. Visitors reduce greatly starting after Labor Day, but don't wait too long and get caught in an early snow storm (they can occur in October)

I hope things go so well for you that this will be the first of many trips beyond the flatlands of Illinois.

Good luck on your decision.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
This is the 4th year in a row for us to Yellowstone and we just returned this past Sunday.

Fishing Bridge is the only full hookup RV site in YNP. It is a 350 site campground but it is very tight. It was designed by a engineer and is very efficient. All sites require you to back in and all you will see out the window is your neighbor. They are that close. Each site only has enough room for the RV and the TV. Nothing else. From the middle of June until after Labor day the odds are not in your favor of getting a spot unless you call ahead for a reservation. Only 30amp service is available. But Fishing Bridge is a great central location for everything in the park.

East Gate (Cody WY). I have always approached Cody from Casper. Not a bad drive. Fairly flat. A few climbs but nothing real bad. Once you get inside the East Gate you will have a pretty good climb and decent as you go around Yellowstone Lake. This road rebuild was completed about 2 years ago and the road is in great shape. This is the most direct route to Fishing Bridge.

North East Gate (Cooke City, WY). I would not go this way. If your wife does not want to go over the mountains avoid this entrance and the Bear Tooth Highway. Very pretty but pulling the RV over it can be a white knuckle experience.

North Gate (Gardner, MT). I90 to Livingston, MT. south to Gardner is fairly flat and a decent road. This is how we left this past year on our way to Glacier. If you go this way, you will have a small climb from Gardner to Mammoth. Very short. From Mammoth I would head towards Norris. You will still have another small climb as you leave Mammoth but pulling the trailer it would be far easier than leaving Mammoth towards Tower. From Tower to Mt. Washburn is a old 2 lane blacktop that is narrow with some sharp drop offs. Could be a white knuckle experience pulling the trailer. Plus this area is very congested with animal watchers. Getting thru a bear jam pulling the trailer on a narrow road could take a long time. From Norris head towards Canyon. You will cross the continental divide but it is a good rood. Not a steep climb. From Canyon to Fishing Bridge is also a decent drive that is fairly flat. Lots of Bison in Hayden Valley so a Buffalo Jam is not uncommon.

Like I said we just got home from our 4th trip in as many years. It is a wonderful place with lots to see and do. Very well worth the trip.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Do you have any idea which way you are coming in from? We have not found too much of a problem coming in from Cody on the east side or coming into West Yellowstone from the south (Idaho). We personally stay in W Yellowstone which is only a mile or so from the gate. Lots of places to camp and a couple nice parks there. When on the bike, we have always stayed at the KOA. Pricey but they had on site food etc.

I would recommend staying away from the Beartooth hiway though. It is the pass going from Red Lodge, MT to the north est corner entrance to the park. A beautiful drive, but steep and long, long drop offs. Not for the height challenged like me!
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When we visited Yellowstone, we stayed at Wapiti, WY. There are two campgrounds in Wapiti and we stayed at the smaller one. Wapiti is about half way from Cody to the east gate. Our site was a pull through, wide enough to be comfortable and no challenges to parking. Our campground was relaxed, not swarming or too busy.

Leaving our CG in the morning, we found the drive into Yellowstone to be easy with a lot to see and enjoy. On the way to the East Gate, we saw moose, mule deer, elk and black bear before we got into the park. Like all parks, driving in Yellowstone is at a slow speed. I don't remember any really twisting roadways except outside the park on the north east as we left the Serengeti. You would have other options than the one we took.

We were there early to mid June and we had to wait a couple of days for the roads to be snow plowed. It was a great trip.

If we were to go again, we would probably go to the west side and enter through the west gate. The west side is more fully developed with more campgrounds and shopping (no shopping in Wapiti). Additionally, the campgrounds are nearer the west entrance than Wapiti is to the east gate.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
wow, thanks for all the good information. I think she is comfortable with the driving now.

next on the list is to find a good campground, we have young ones so we need a camp with a little more to offer than Wapiti. any recomendations? Pool is not necessary, but a grassy site with playgound and fishing would be good. I'd say within 30-40 miles of the park is ok
gobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We approached YNP from the south via Jackson Hole, WY and the Grand Teton NP. We were there in '06 after labor day but still had a reservation at Fishing Bridge. The spaces are tight but you will be somewhere else in the park during the daylight hours. Don't forget that Grand Teton NP is just a short drive south with great camping and RV spots at Colter Bay Village. I recommend the evening Ranger tour of wildlife if you are in the Grand Tetons. Have a blast.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We stayed at Valley View RV Park and Laundry. It is a PA park 14 miles west of Yellowstone and cost us $20.00 a night. Not a lot of amenities but did have a great laundry and nice playground. On the main road but we were gone everyday and relatively quiet at night. Parks in West Yellowstone proper were $58.00 night, nice park but we did not need all the amenities as we were gone everyday. I know folks use Fishing Bridge but I won't. I DO NOT LIKE being squeezed in like sardines, no matter how close everything is. The 14 mile daily drive to the park was a piece of cake and that park saved us $532.00 over the two weeks we were there. Now THAT'S a great savings.......Think of all the trinkets you can buy for $532.00.

BTW: The East entrance drive is beautiful and easy. We also drove the Grand Tetons route for an awe inspiring trip.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We love the drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone on Hwy 89. It is one of the most beautiful roads we have taken. You go thru Big Sky which is a great resort. You are following the river all the way.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
With vicinity to the park I think West Yellowstone has the most to offer. The West Gate to the loop is about 15 miles. Cody to the East gate is like 50 miles. Then another 30 miles from the East gate to the loop.

Fishing Bridge in the park is a great location but for the money I think you can find someplace in West Yellowstone with better amenities for the same money.

In the future we will either stay in West Yellowstone or to the North in Gardner. Most likely Gardner but we tend to stay in the north end of the park. West Yellowstone will provide a more central location to the various park activities.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
OMG! A few days ago we did go through Yellowstone....We went from the North East Gate to the West Gate.

Lesson learned when some advised not to drive Beartooth Pass...take the advise.

I had researched some on this site and read about avoiding Beartooth Pass....told my husband about it...

So here we are Making a trip from Ca. to Wyoming....jumping to Billings Montana, then returning to head back to Ca., but we decided to travel through Yellowstone.

We went through Beartooth Pass without knowing that we were on this pass....it is one scary, and yes as decribed above "white knuckle" drive. Beautiful scenery thou....We found ourselves at one time at 10,871 elev. I think we were even higher, but no sign was posted to tell us.

We did this route in a 30 foot travel trailer...would we do this in a Montana 5th wheel...no I would not!

My advise....unhook the trailer and make the drive in a vehicle alone.

To top this off we decided to travel to see the Tetons...somehow we ended up driving on the Teton Pass...a very curviy steep climb and down. 10% grades. The drive was short, but also a drive to hold tight onto the steering wheel...in my case as passenger...I held tight to the handles on my side of the truck. Coming down the climb our brakes did have a burning smell to them, but they worked fine.

As you can tell I am very use to the flat lands....mountin climbing with a trailer behind is really not for me, unless it is a gentle climb with lots of road left on the side, and a rail guard on the side of the road sure makes me more comfortable.

Even thou I was hangiin' on and said a few things going through Beartooth Pass and the Tetons Pass, I must say my husband drove like a pro.....

We are still hear to tell the stories
No barrel rolling down a Mountainside for us!

Now to only get home!
Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Been there, done that. My wife exhibited the same way *fear) you did, Denise. However, I didn't see it as all that bad. We went through the pass in 2003.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Check out "Red Rock RV park" we stayed there a month last summer.
Nice play ground, close to Yellowstone (West side) Great view of the area, Nice people.
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We spent a month at Redrock RV Park (Island Park, ID). We loved it there. Free wifi, at least when we were there. However, we did not have a satellite dish and got only one very snowy PBS station by antenna. We got our news by internet (Katrina hit New Orleans while we were there). It's a nice and quiet park close to Henry's Lake but it was 23 miles to the West gate of Yellowstone. Easy drive but it lost some of its luster when diesel went to 4.399 per gallon while we were there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thre is some extensive information on the different routes into Yellowstone. Although this was in reference to a motorhome, I'm sure that the driving conditions would be near the same for a 5er.

Driving Routes for Large RV's In Yellowstone
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote