Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Winchester VA to Branson

We will be going to Winchester, VA in early May and then from there to Branson. we are planning on going from Omaha to Winchester mostly on I70 after the Quad Cities. It is coming back that we are wondering if there are any suggestions about the best route--we are looking at coming through KY--I think that is I64--don't want to go on 80 (PA turnpike if we can help it) I am sure some of you are more familiar with the East than we are since we have usually flown out there when we went before--Our son went to VA Tech.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I might suggest you run I70 west through Ohio, Indiana to StLouis. Then pickup I44 west to Springfield Mo then US 65 South to Branson.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My mapping program recommended 522 up to Hancock, MD then I 70 up to Breezewood, PA onto I 76 (PA Turnpike)/I 70 west. It takes you through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and into Missouri for 1020 miles. Mainly on I 70.
I try to stay off the PA Turnpike. When we go to Dayton Ohio from Baltimore we take I 68 out of Hancock, MD to I 79 at Morgantown, WV. North on I 79 to Washington, PA where we pick up I 70 west again. This is a nice drive. Some 6% grades but nothing like the western mountains, I imagine. The PA Turnpike has a reputation for always being under construction. I think the tole for our setup and weight was 11 dollars and 86 miles. I checked on the PA Turnpike WEB. Going I 68 does add 20 miles to your trip.

Hancock, MD has a nice family style restaurant "Park and Dine" east of town just before getting back on the interstate. Large plate of food for a very reasonable rate and great food. You would have to turn around at the truck stop just east of Park and Dine on E. Main ST. to continue your westerly trip.

If you go with my directions there is a nice truck stop at exit 22 on I 68 in MD.

We liked the Candy Hill Campground in Winchester, VA.

I hope this helps, good luck, tow safe and PM me if you have more questions.
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I, too, try to avoid the PA Turnpike. If you don't mind long steep grades, take I-68 out of Hancock, MD to Morgantown, WV. Jump on I-79 south to Charleston and pick up I-64 west to St. Louis?!!! Then I-44 to Springfield, before dropping south to Branson. I-68 is a nice road, not busy, and very scenic. MHO.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote