Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #61
datadr

M.O.C. #26286
Actually, I agree with you beeje. Our RV fridge has been flawless, and we even have rock-hard ice cream, but it's a smaller 8 cu ft and we don't camp in extremely hot places, so it does the job. However, our plans are to do more full time roaming in the future, and I would easily consider (and likely prefer) a residential. Yes, I'll plan to rig it with ample modern solar and battery for long trips off-pedestal, but we don't boondock (ever), so it's an option.

My point above is that Haylett is misleading folks with what he's stating. He's spouting FUD.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #62
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Agree on the misleading - think you are correct on the outside air temp having an impact. The other big thing is starting it at the correct time so it defrost in the coolest part of the day.
3rd AC / Dometic 320
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #63
skippydoo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25725
I dont get all they hype about "residential size" fridge is a MUST HAVE in rigs. We have one in ours but big whoop de dooo.
2 months ago we had adult kids and grand kids with us (yikes) we never had it filled up with food. That was 7 people.
Plus It's not like we are leaving a civilization and cant get to a store.

Maybe I am missing something. Regular RV fridge is ok for us.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #64
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
This video, his video is just an exercise showing his stupidity.
The doors come easily off these fridges, been doing it for years in the appliance business.
With the fridge doors off the body of our residential is 25" deep. Our entrance door is 28" wide.
Therefore anyone that should suggest taking a slide out to remove a residential fridge is plainly full of ....
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #65
DebNJim B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21158
We half time (aka snowbird) in ours w/res refer. Have completed three seasons and not a problem. in our previous rig w/rv fridge I would have to defrost it twice each winter. You could never fill it up completely as you need air flow or it all warms up, we can pack the resi right full and it all stays cold. And the ice maker is soo much better than those tiny ice cube trays. We don't boondock so that's a non issue and our hybrid battery the dealer gave us has no problem while we travel.
When we bought our 5er I got a lifetime warranty mainly for the slides and refer. If the fridge goes out our dealer will just replace it without issue. He has done the microwave twice so far.
I think the bottom line is: if you boondock by all means you should go with an rv fridge, if you don't you have the choice of which ever you prefer.
As for brand, I have had many salesmen badmouth different brands and it's always the one they don't sell. I have several Samsung products from cell phone to fridge and none has been a problem. Our s&b appliances have had only one issue in 15 years and that was the compressor in our Amana fridge which is suppose to be the best make out there.

In the end we would not go back to an rv fridge, but again that is a matter of taste.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote