Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2024, 07:31 PM   #1
danaw

M.O.C. #33723
A/c seal

On my 2016 High Country I have a water leak in the return air vent in the living area, so I replaced the a/c seal with a universal seal I bought from the local RV repair place. One bolt did not pull down so I bought the next size up and same problem and still leaks. The leak is on the side that did not pull down.
Any suggestions how to maybe “heli coil” the hole or any suggestions

danaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:22 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you can see where the bolt/screw comes through, you might be able to just use a nut to make it work.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:27 PM   #3
danaw

M.O.C. #33723
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
If you can see where the bolt/screw comes through, you might be able to just use a nut to make it work.
Thanks, thought about that but not excited about removing a ceiling panel. Might be what I have to do.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:41 PM   #4
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
How about a toggle bolt?
https://www.google.com/search?q=togg...I5miTM&vssid=l
Old 02-16-2024, 08:38 PM   #5
danaw

M.O.C. #33723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Hadn’t thought of that. Might be a great idea. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:10 PM   #6
Ricos Ride
Established Member

M.O.C. #18095
I have replaced the gasket, solved the problem only to have the leak eventually return. Retightening the a/c mounts proved to be just another short term solution. So I bought a tube of Henry roof sealant, and put a bead between the gasket and the roof. Problem solved. Recently had heavy rain, wind 21 mpg gusting to 35 and no leaks. You can buy Henry products at Home Depot
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:34 PM   #7
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaw View Post
On my 2016 High Country I have a water leak in the return air vent in the living area, so I replaced the a/c seal with a universal seal I bought from the local RV repair place. One bolt did not pull down so I bought the next size up and same problem and still leaks. The leak is on the side that did not pull down.
Any suggestions how to maybe “heli coil” the hole or any suggestions
Is this a Dometic / Heat pump in the rear of the coach? Dometic had issues like this around the time you purchased your rig. There are threads on this in the BBS.

Thanks

John
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:24 PM   #8
danaw

M.O.C. #33723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricos Ride View Post
I have replaced the gasket, solved the problem only to have the leak eventually return. Retightening the a/c mounts proved to be just another short term solution. So I bought a tube of Henry roof sealant, and put a bead between the gasket and the roof. Problem solved. Recently had heavy rain, wind 21 mpg gusting to 35 and no leaks. You can buy Henry products at Home Depot
Essentially that is what I did. I tried to use an insert in the hole,it tightened a little. But before replacing the unit I ran a bead of Dacor self leveling caulk for insurance it won’t leak. Might be the wrong thing to do, but expect rain tomorrow and I will find out.