Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
More on DISH TV

Hi,
Just received the following from Escapees Headquarters concerning the DISH Network:

Escapees E-news Release

Latest news on Dish Network and Distant Network channels

12/5/2006

Just prior to the December first deadline for the court-ordered termination of Distant Network services, A third-party provider, National Programming Service (NPS), struck a last-minute deal with Charlie Ergen (Dish Network’s CEO) to provide distant network services to Dish Network customers. Folks who have lost their distant feeds can sign up for similar services with NPS either through the company's website at http://www.mydistantnetworks.com or by phone at 800.786.9677. If you go to the website, there is a downloadable RV/mobile waiver form in PDF format available. It looks a lot like the old RV declaration, and you are instructed to fax the form and a copy of your RV registration to them. I have heard from several people who have successfully restored their channels this way.

There's been a lot of discussion about this deal between Dish Network and NPS. Some industry sources believe that this is a legal way for Dish to get around the injunction, but others believe that it violates the specifics of the injunction as ordered by the court. It appears that, for the time being, this is a viable way for Dish Network RV and mobile customers to get their distant networks. Be aware, though, that there's no way to tell for sure if this agreement between Dish and NPS will stand the test in the courts that is likely to come in the future.

Hope this helps MOCers who have DISH to have some better days ahead.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the info, buddy.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Hmmmmm I have a feeling that Ted Turner owns both companies so if that is the case, it makes sense.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
We dumped Dish network for Direct TV, so much easier to pick up signal!!!
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
After reading the recommendation by the District Magistrate, it is my understanding that the motion to deny NPS from transmitting and Echostar from conducting (legal terms) distance network service programming (DNS) will be sent to the original judge who entered the permanent injunction prohibiting Echostar from delivering DNS. Further, it seems that the original judge, if he accepts the recommendation from the magistrate, will permit NPS to transmit DNS to Echostar customers who are eligible under SHVIA. Essentially, anyone who has a permanent satellite dish mounted on a 5th wheel (or RV) is considered an underserved household and will be permitted to receive DNS from NPS.

I have been following this very carefully as the investment we have made to receive transmissions from satellites owned by Echostar is significant. The dish on the roof is specific to Dish, and, of course, the receiver is specific to Dish. In the memorandum and recommendation to the original judge, the point was made that DirecTV is the only other competitor, should NPS be barred from expanding their market share and provide the service to Echostar customers. Further, it was noted that DirecTV is *requiring* former Echostar customers to cancel any subscription they may have left if they desire to purchase DNS from DirectTV (in violation of, in my humble opinion, only, of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act). Essentially, Rupert Murdoch, who owns News Corporation (DirecTV) and Fox, is attempting through litigation to capitalize on Echostar's previous disregard for following the rules of SHVIA. But, this capitalizing is causing a significant financial hardship on current Echostar customers.

Also, it is interesting that Echostar had been receiving $2 million per MONTH, and NPS, by leasing hardware (satellite transponder) from Echostar will only put $2 million per YEAR into Echostar's pocket.

I have no reason to tout Echostar over DirecTV or vice versa. When I chose to go with Dish, it was for technical reasons specific to my situation. I wanted to be able to use 1 receiver for 3 televisions, seamlessly. However, I do have a problem if there is only one branding iron in the fire.

Finally, it is interesting to note that prior to the final order of permanent injunction of providing DNS by Echostar, Echostar had reached agreement (stipulations) with 90% of the original plaintiffs. The one plaintiff that would not stipulate was - you guessed it - Fox!

Just my 2 cents...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For those who are interested, here is the Report and Recommendation from the Magistrate:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.ph...7&d=1166224020
Old 12-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
And, an informed 2 Cents it is.
I like the idea of the RF signal, wish my Direct TV had it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The original judge (as discussed in a previous post) has upheld the Recommendation. This means that NPS is permitted to provide DNS to Dish customers:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.ph...4&d=1166485609
Old 12-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Update on DNS fron NPS (All American):

Faxed RV waiver on Saturday, 12/16/06 and today have 8 new channels - ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX (east & west coast feeds).
Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
F Y I - NPS is my programmer for my 4DTV/CBand dish at the stick house. They have been real good to their BUD (Big Ugly Dish) customers. Although, their prices have gone up too and we keep loosing CBand programming - but that's is not NPS's fault.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

The original judge (as discussed in a previous post) has upheld the Recommendation. This means that NPS is permitted to provide DNS to Dish customers:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.ph...4&d=1166485609
Thanks for providing this as well as the previous link. This seems like a very fair resolution that protects the consumer and still has a consequence to Dishnet for failing to adhere to the law. Also, it didn't allow DirectTV and it's owners to gain a windfall of new customers which seemed to be the goal of their latest motions.

Now, as to whether the existing law needs to be adjusted to meet the needs of new technology, that is a whole new issue.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
FWIW, my wife and I were talking about this law and how it should be re-written so that, IMO everyone would be happy.

If you have a stick house, you should get your local affiliate stations from your home area, anywhere in the U.S. If not, then pick an area you want, such as East and West. This way, the local affilates would be happy (they get advertising revenue) and it makes much more sense to watch "local" news from your hometown as opposed to New York, or wherever.

And, you too saw thru DirecTV's flurry of motions to gain a windfall of customers!