Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
It's official; I hate this trailer!

Our 2016 High Country 310 RE is now 4 years old, and I am fed up with this POS. We have had trouble with the Accu Slide cable-actuated slides since day one, especially the kitchen slide (slide #2, driver's side). After several trips to the service shop in the first months of ownership, we finally got the drive motor replaced (the new one is an oil dripper), and had rollers installed for the slides to run on. Then, in January, we were in Colorado Springs, when a cable broke on the #1 slide (curb-side). The only shop that could fix it within a month (Cousins RV) replaced the cable (with my help) for "only" $700. They also supposedly adjusted the other (#2)slide. So last month, we were staying in Las Vegas and I noticed the wall siding was puckered-in next to the #2 slide lower leading edge, when the slide was extended. When the slide was retracted, the wall returned to normal. Watching the wall opening next to the refrigerator while extending and retracting the slide, you could see the wall moving in and out.

When we got home we took the rig to the repair shop, and they confirmed what I guessed was the problem: the wall stud adjacent to the slide opening had broken it's welded connection to the sill framing. Estimate for repair $7,000. That's SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix a factory defect. Hey, no problem, that's why we have an extended warranty, right? WRONG! Warranty company (United States) denied the claim, since according to them, the slide is covered, but the wall stud is not because the frame is excluded, and the damage is "incidental" damage. Even though the stud is an integral part of the slide mechanism (cable pulleys are attached to the slide).

As you can guess, we are frustrated beyond belief. I told the wife, there is NO WAY I am paying 7 grand to fix this POS. Has anyone else run into this issue? I have an idea how to fix it myself, but will need detailed schematics of how this is framed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Do you have pictures or video of the wall? Has it let loose at the bottom or top?
Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
At the bottom. I have a photo I will post later. Steve and Terri had a similar experience, and they got off cheap; I have PM'd them to get more details.

Edit: Here is the thread by SteveAndTerri. Their photo looks exactly like mine.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=77301
Old 08-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Our 2016 High Country 310 RE is now 4 years old, and I am fed up with this POS. We have had trouble with the Accu Slide cable-actuated slides since day one, especially the kitchen slide (slide #2, driver's side). After several trips to the service shop in the first months of ownership, we finally got the drive motor replaced (the new one is an oil dripper), and had rollers installed for the slides to run on. Then, in January, we were in Colorado Springs, when a cable broke on the #1 slide (curb-side). The only shop that could fix it within a month (Cousins RV) replaced the cable (with my help) for "only" $700. They also supposedly adjusted the other (#2)slide. So last month, we were staying in Las Vegas and I noticed the wall siding was puckered-in next to the #2 slide lower leading edge, when the slide was extended. When the slide was retracted, the wall returned to normal. Watching the wall opening next to the refrigerator while extending and retracting the slide, you could see the wall moving in and out.

When we got home we took the rig to the repair shop, and they confirmed what I guessed was the problem: the wall stud adjacent to the slide opening had broken it's welded connection to the sill framing. Estimate for repair $7,000. That's SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix a factory defect. Hey, no problem, that's why we have an extended warranty, right? WRONG! Warranty company (United States) denied the claim, since according to them, the slide is covered, but the wall stud is not because the frame is excluded, and the damage is "incidental" damage. Even though the stud is an integral part of the slide mechanism (cable pulleys are attached to the slide).

As you can guess, we are frustrated beyond belief. I told the wife, there is NO WAY I am paying 7 grand to fix this POS. Has anyone else run into this issue? I have an idea how to fix it myself, but will need detailed schematics of how this is framed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
File complaint with Consumer Protection Agency.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
GIBS IN coos bay ARE SLIDE EXPERTS! Jonathan did ours..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
DFB: Thanks, we are taking it to RV Corral in Eugene, where we originally bought it. They know their stuff, and will work with the warranty company and Keystone.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Good choice... stay safe..
Old 09-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
UPDATE:
RV Corral, in Eugene, Oregon fixed the problem in 2 working days (one of which was labor Day!) and the repair is invisible. They removed the side skirting, and welded in gusset plates. Only charged us $765, which is a far cry from the $7,000 that Triple A RV in Medford quoted us.

Highly recommend RV Corral; fair prices and great people.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Back to Gibs for us... Now its the cable bedroom slide.....
Old 09-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Some one here mentioned a class action law suit.. Are they getting names together for a list?. Its one thing to have a trim piece fall Down or stuff like that. For us its nearly every single trip. We just spent about 1500 in slide out repairs . One was the large hydraulic slide , then right after it was the cable driven slide.Last month black water tank busted open. Trip before that it was-the axel shakle bolts. Keystone should have at no cost replaced the thetford toilets. ..since the only fix was to replace with another brand,., yes, some things happen.. Broken welds, leaks, walls falling off are not normal...thanks..
Old 09-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
[QUOTE=dfb;1197841]Some one here mentioned a class action law suit.. Are they getting names together for a list?.

Do I hear a volunteer?
Old 09-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Some one here mentioned a class action law suit.. Are they getting names together for a list?. Its one thing to have a trim piece fall Down or stuff like that. For us its nearly every single trip. We just spent about 1500 in slide out repairs . One was the large hydraulic slide , then right after it was the cable driven slide.Last month black water tank busted open. Trip before that it was-the axel shakle bolts. Keystone should have at no cost replaced the thetford toilets. ..since the only fix was to replace with another brand,., yes, some things happen.. Broken welds, leaks, walls falling off are not normal...thanks..

I hear you on the issues and you have my empathy. As far as Thetford toilets, I know when I buy a trailer with a Thetford it will come out when I get the trailer...just like the one I just bought. They're cheap and that's why they are installed, and, I don't like them - sort of like OEM TK tires.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #13
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Have you talked to Keystone Customer Service? An authorized Repair shop fixed my for $800 last year. Send them a video.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #14
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Have you talked to Keystone Customer Service? An authorized Repair shop fixed my for $800 last year. Send them a video.
‘sorry, your unit is out of warranty.. take it To your dealer..
Old 09-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Sounds like Keystone has some serious quality control issues--not good for future business--that's for sure
Gutz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Dfb, don’t hold your breath on any kind of lawsuit. It will take at least one person, or if you can find someone to join you, a couple people to file a lawsuit. Its out of your pocket unless you can find an attorney that will work on a contingency, and that is highly unlikely. Then the attorney will have to petition the court to have the suite changed to a class action. Who’s first to pony up the cash to file? Sure hate to hear about all your issues with the rig.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #17
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz54 View Post
Sounds like Keystone has some serious quality control issues--not good for future business--that's for sure

They all have quality control issues; every manufacturer. They don't care. As long as folks buy them faster than they can make them just as they are they aren't going to change a successful business plan. 99%+ of those that want "bigger and better" and lament the lack of quality, are not willing to pay the increased prices for "bigger and better" including the extra weight requiring a "bigger and better" tow vehicle. They want bigger, better, luxury that drops on a Ford F150 and costs peanuts. The RV manufacturers have the buying public figured out.....and they are going gangbusters.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Dad says to paint a big lemon on it..lol
Old 09-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
They all have quality control issues; every manufacturer. They don't care. As long as folks buy them faster than they can make them just as they are they aren't going to change a successful business plan. 99%+ of those that want "bigger and better" and lament the lack of quality, are not willing to pay the increased prices for "bigger and better" including the extra weight requiring a "bigger and better" tow vehicle. They want bigger, better, luxury that drops on a Ford F150 and costs peanuts. The RV manufacturers have the buying public figured out.....and they are going gangbusters.
I think it was Holiday Rambler that put every unit in a rain simulator to check for leaks. The lowest priced models now are at 100k.. thats not a low price. I found out years ago its cheaper to have quality than a low price. We all worked hard for our money. When we are sold a product that does not give the value we paid for, most of us remember that the next time. Im the type of buyer who is willing to pay more to get more. How much more would it cost to use galvanized screws?... a better carpet, better roof,? For those of us willing to pay we should have that option..We were buying these with 10 ply tires. When these tires blew out it cost many of us more in the damages caused by not enough tire to save Keystone money for more profit. Now they use 14 ply Sailuns.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #20
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
I think it was Holiday Rambler that put every unit in a rain simulator to check for leaks. The lowest priced models now are at 100k.. thats not a low price. I found out years ago its cheaper to have quality than a low price. We all worked hard for our money. When we are sold a product that does not give the value we paid for, most of us remember that the next time. Im the type of buyer who is willing to pay more to get more. How much more would it cost to use galvanized screws?... a better carpet, better roof,? For those of us willing to pay we should have that option..We were buying these with 10 ply tires. When these tires blew out it cost many of us more in the damages caused by not enough tire to save Keystone money for more profit. Now they use 14 ply Sailuns.

I'm like you except I won't buy a diesel OR a dually so my options are limited. I don't care what they cost but I just don't want the above. The issue as I see it is that those that say "hang the cost, I want luxury" might constitute 5% of the market. As a manufacturer they want to concentrate on the 95%, not the tiny niche market, then we go back to what I said previously.