Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
. There is an on-off switch at the water heater, and I learned the hard way that when you are draining the tank, turning this switch off should be step one. The switch controls both gas and electric and prevents accidentally heating an empty tank.........
Actually I think on most, if not all, the switch mounted on the front of the water heater only controls the electric heating element, not the propane burner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New model Suburban with dual switch 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	4746  

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj;
<snip>.. The switch controls both gas and electric and prevents accidentally heating an empty tank...
</snip>
Not exactly. That external rocker switch only control the 120V side of the water heater. The propane side works regardless of the rocker switch position.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
You all beat me to it. The external switch on the water heater itself ONLY controls the 120 volt ac. NOT the propane.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Karenraecamp
Established Member

M.O.C. #25205
Could someone explain to me why there is an electric and gas switch inside. On my last rv, there was just a switch on the water heater and one for propane. When I had RV school I was told to remember, the switch on the water heater is always first on and first off. What does the electric switch inside do??
Karenraecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The inside switch is wired in series with the switch on the water heater. You can turn on the switch on the water heater and leave it in. Then you can control the water heater, electric or propane, from inside.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Karenraecamp
Established Member

M.O.C. #25205
I got that, thanks, but definately do not leave the outside one on or it will burn up??
Old 10-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenraecamp View Post
I got that, thanks, but definately do not leave the outside one on or it will burn up??
Since they are effectively wired in series, you have to leave the outside one on for the inside one to work. Leaving the outside one on will not burn up anything.

I say effectively wired in series because the inside switch is actually 12 vdc that energizes a relay that sends 120 vac to the outside switch that sends 120 vac to the heating element. I posted a diagram of that wiring in a comment a little farther up this thread.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #28
Karenraecamp
Established Member

M.O.C. #25205
thank you
Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Since they are effectively wired in series, you have to leave the outside one on for the inside one to work. Leaving the outside one on will not burn up anything.

I say effectively wired in series because the inside switch is actually 12 vdc that energizes a relay that sends 120 vac to the outside switch that sends 120 vac to the heating element. I posted a diagram of that wiring in a comment a little farther up this thread.
Exactly, well stated. First thing I do when breaking camp where I have electric service is to turn that exterior switch off so the inside switch will do nothing. I even go so far as to put tape over the propane switch if we have power and vice versa if we don't. Its a given someone will turn on the wrong switch. Usually the DW. LOL
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote