Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
riley

M.O.C. #9987
Onan vs Generac 5.5kw LP generator

Been pricing these two units which, on paper, appear to be the same, but when it comes to cost, the Onan is generally a minimum of $500 more than a Generac. Why?
Am I paying the extra because of the name "Onan", or is it really that much better?
Thanks in advance...

riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
You might also look at the RV unit made by Honda- I think they are quite similar to a Onan- Hicklin Diesel in Grimes, Iowa ( a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa ) are authorized dealers- The units are approximately the same size as an Onan- I haven't priced them yet but think they are less expensive than a Onan- Good luck- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by riley

Been pricing these two units which, on paper, appear to be the same, but when it comes to cost, the Onan is generally a minimum of $500 more than a Generac. Why?
Am I paying the extra because of the name "Onan", or is it really that much better?
Thanks in advance...

I can speak for Onan, It was what I had installed in my Montana Fifth Wheel when I ordered it. I don't know much about the others, but could not ask for a better performing generator, quiet ,smooth and easy starting. I personally was not interested in any other brand, there was a bit of savings when getting it is installed at the factory instead of the generator prep, and installing it later.Onan seems to be the generator of choice when ordering an rv.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We ordered our Onan from the factory with our 3075. We also had an Onan in our 05, 2955 before that. They are easy to start, reliable, quiet, and can handle the AC surges. We would not get anything else installed in our 5er. It's one of my wife's favorite options.
That being said, Honda makes a wide range of great generators too.
I'm sure Genarac makes quiet generators but i have not heard one yet.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have owned the Onan and the Genrac. The Onan was mounted in the front compartment and the Generac is mounted in a Tool Box and built by Mountain Master in Arizona. Both were excellent and never a issue, I still have the Generac but very seldom use it. We will never do any boondocking/wally docking or park were there isn't a 50 amp service. Thats just our preference. Others have other choices. I will say the Onan was propane and it would suck up a lot of propane, were the Generac was a gas burner and it does seem to be more energy efficent. Good Luck with your decision. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Someone mentioned Honda provided an RV generator. An internet search yielded an EV4010 and an EV6010, but neither of these are listed in official Honda Generator listings because these have been REMOVED. I wondered why until I found another site with some reviews:

http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EV6010.html

These genny's got bad reviews and are no longer available from Honda? That would make me not want one. But if you have one, and it stills works, then the best to you. There are some complaints about Generac and Onan, but word is that Onan is the best, which is why it can be the priciest. There are generators that run off gas, propane and even diesel. Whatever you pick, don't forget to consider bringing extra fuel for it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
riley

M.O.C. #9987
Whoops.....got off the track!! Looking a LP generator. I couldn't find an LP made by Honda.

I currently run a Onan CampPower 2500kw in my Lance camper , so I know they are good. It came with the camper, and I didn't purchase it separately. I find myself in a position now where I'm considering buying one to add to my 5th wheel. I'm just asking if the Onan is worth the extra money
riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I have no experience with Onan, other than having head it's top of the line. My only experience with Generac was not good. Had one in a Class C and every time we turn a corner, the generator quit!
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
The onan is worth the money just for the simple fact that repairs are less likely and if you do need parts or repairs there is usually a shop close buy.
IAMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #10
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have the Onan 5500 and must say it works very well. Having said that, if I was to do it again I would buy a small Honda and go with Solar power.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I have 2017 Montana 3000RE and I thinking about having a generator permanently installed in the front bay. The trailer is already wired to accommodate a generator. Does anyone know about what it would cost to install the generator?
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just had my Onan 4000 repaired after 31 hours on the clock. The man who repaired it said the new meaning in the last few years were not as good as the older version. He has done nothing but repair generators for 30 years. He said the Generac was even worse. I ask what was the best generator, the Honda. His shop was full of Onan and 1 Honda and wouldn't even fix a Generic.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just a side note, I just read that Onan, owned by Cummins, will not be labelled as Onan anymore, but will be Cummins in the future, and I guess the generator will still be the same.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote