Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Best deals on batteries?

We are picking up our new Montana next month and have researched extensively which battery is right for us. We'd like to go with 4 wet lead acid 6 volt batteries. Our initial thoughts are Interstates (which are made by Trojan) or Trojans. Looking at group L16 batteries with around 400 AH each. Just wondering where folks are buying theirs. Our local dealer doesn't carry anything like what we want. Tried Sam's same thing. So far the local Interstate dealer is the only place we've found. Open to suggestions. Hoping to lessen the pain as much as possible. Thanks!

Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I get ours at Costco, they sell Interstate. Around $90 each.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
We are picking up our new Montana next month and have researched extensively which battery is right for us. We'd like to go with 4 wet lead acid 6 volt batteries. Our initial thoughts are Interstates (which are made by Trojan) or Trojans. Looking at group L16 batteries with around 400 AH each. Just wondering where folks are buying theirs. Our local dealer doesn't carry anything like what we want. Tried Sam's same thing. So far the local Interstate dealer is the only place we've found. Open to suggestions. Hoping to lessen the pain as much as possible. Thanks!
Costco sells Interstate 6V 210 AH (4 would give you 420AH over all) for only $98 ea however the reviews are horrible, I would be surprised is they are made by Trojan. Although with Costco's warranty might be worth a try as the bad reviews could be over discharge related, who knows, hell of a price though. I cannot believe Costco would sell something with such bad reviews. As bad as the reviews are maybe better to take that $$$ to Vegas put it in Red on the roulette wheel try and double your $$$ and buy quality batteries.

https://www.costco.com/interstate-6-...100476406.html

I am also in the battery market however will be going with AGM as I do not want to deal with installing new vented battery box's
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
That is a smoking price for the amp hours. I'd really like to be in the 800 amp hour range though. We'd like to do a lot of dry camping. I don't know that I could fit enough in the battery storage area to get to the AH I want though. Awesome price though!
Old 03-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I, and several others in our camping group, have been using Costco batteries for over 10 years. I replaced the last set after 7 years of use only because I thought it was time.

When you do pull the trigger, take a look at this battery box *LINK* IT nicely holds four 6v batteries in one container. They also have other size combinations. You will have to add a top vent, but that is pretty simple with a couple of PVC pipe connectors.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I researched a lot and found that the most bang for the buck was at Batteries Plus. I bought the 6V 230AH. They also have 10% off if you buy online but they also give you the 10% in store if you ask for it. Find some old cores to bring along as the core charge is steep.
I also go by weight and these are heavier (more lead) than the Comparable Trojan T-105 and more AH. You can get a 235AH for a few bucks more but in the long run 5AH more won't make a difference.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I just realized the 6V batteries the OP is asking about are double the size of standard 6V they are 370AH ea and twice the weight and twice the height.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
This is the battery We've been looking at.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ategoryid=true

420 AH at 118lbs but the same foot print as the Duracell's at Batteries Plus and the Costco Batteries.

The downside is the cost $341.00 ea. I know you have to pay to play but darn it i'd like a groupon for them!
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:

420 AH at 118lbs but the same foot print as the Duracell's at Batteries Plus and the Costco Batteries.

The downside is the cost $341.00 ea. I know you have to pay to play but darn it i'd like a groupon for them!
Wow. What do you plan on doing when you are boon docking?
Do you plan on doing some welding?
Old 03-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:

WOW only a 6 month warranty, that would be a huge red flag for me.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Wow. What do you plan on doing when you are boon docking?
Do you plan on doing some welding?

The simple answer is whatever momma wants. We just love the idea of being out on BLM land with the scenic views. Oh yeah and it's free.

Being in the service for over 20yrs I'm probably over preparing. We are adding a 2nd Jaboni 265 watt solar panel to our factory Solar Flex package and we went with the Onan from the factory as well. I'm hoping the only limiting factor to enjoying Boondocking is water issues.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #12
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
An Onan and 800AH of batteries and Solar, you must be preparing for doomsday. That is a lot of added weight as well as redundancy. If you have the Onan 5500 with solar you can easily get by with 1/2 the AH of batteries. That combination will be close to 1000lb of added pin weight also. If you go with 800AH of batteries scratch the Onan and buy a small portable just for back up charging.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:

The simple answer is whatever momma wants. We just love the idea of being out on BLM land with the scenic views. Oh yeah and it's free.

Being in the service for over 20yrs I'm probably over preparing. We are adding a 2nd Jaboni 265 watt solar panel to our factory Solar Flex package and we went with the Onan from the factory as well. I'm hoping the only limiting factor to enjoying Boondocking is water issues.
Where is the emoji for ENVY.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
An Onan and 800AH of batteries and Solar, you must be preparing for doomsday. That is a lot of added weight as well as redundancy. If you have the Onan 5500 with solar you can easily get by with 1/2 the AH of batteries. That combination will be close to 1000lb of added pin weight also. If you go with 800AH of batteries scratch the Onan and buy a small portable just for back up charging.
I could certainly be wrong but from what I've read when you add weight to your trailer you can generally account for 20-25% of the added weight added to your original pin weight. So in this case if I had 1000lbs of cargo to my camper I'm upping my pin weight by 200-250lbs.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #15
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
I could certainly be wrong but from what I've read when you add weight to your trailer you can generally account for 20-25% of the added weight added to your original pin weight. So in this case if I had 1000lbs of cargo to my camper I'm upping my pin weight by 200-250lbs.
For overall trailer weight yeah the 20-25% pin calculation is more or less valid. In this case the batteries are much closer to the pin. Usually in front storage bay. Therefore the percentage of the added weight going on the pin will be much higher. Think 50-75% of the battery weight or more. Yes you can load additional weight at the back of your rig to counterbalance this, but that loading drill kind of defeats the purpose of the autonomy one would be looking for doesn't it?

At this point, I'd suggest you look in LFP batteries to save weight. Expensive yes, but might meet several potential needs you seem of have overlooked like payload on your tow vehicle rear axle or potential trailer overloading. You do not mention what trailer you have, what truck you have, nothing except doing a lot of boondocking. Without out more info it is hard to give specific recommendations. Its all a big balancing game. What works for one person's situation may not work for another.

The factory pin weight that is published does not include optional equipment. so the Onan will add 250 lbs, if you add 500lbs of batteries less the 60 or so that came with it, then add the weight of the inverter and other electrical gear and wiring you could be upwards of 1000 lbs but not likely. if you use the 50% for this front stored equipment and batteries then figure on ~400 lbs of additional pin weight just for those items. Can your truck handle it now??
JHMO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #16
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
For overall trailer weight yeah the 20-25% pin calculation is more or less valid. In this case the batteries are much closer to the pin. Usually in front storage bay. Therefore the percentage of the added weight going on the pin will be much higher. Think 50-75% of the battery weight or more. Yes you can load additional weight at the back of your rig to counterbalance this, but that loading drill kind of defeats the purpose of the autonomy one would be looking for doesn't it?

At this point, I'd suggest you look in LFP batteries to save weight. Expensive yes, but might meet several potential needs you seem of have overlooked like payload on your tow vehicle rear axle or potential trailer overloading. You do not mention what trailer you have, what truck you have, nothing except doing a lot of boondocking. Without out more info it is hard to give specific recommendations. Its all a big balancing game. What works for one person's situation may not work for another.
JHMO.
We have a 2015 Ford f350 Dually Diesel. The rig is a 2020 Montana 3813ms. Shipping weight 13685. Carrying Capacity 3165. Hitch weight 2820. I do plan on adding airbags to reduce suspension drop and keep everything level. Also adding a rack to the back of the camper to bring along a smoker amongst other things. It'll only have a 300lb capacity though. The hitch weight is a concern for sure. The only consistent advice I've seen is weigh it ourselves and see what the real numbers are. Although this solution doesn't really tell me what a safe hitch weight is.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #17
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
We have a 2015 Ford f350 Dually Diesel. The rig is a 2020 Montana 3813ms. Shipping weight 13685. Carrying Capacity 3165. Hitch weight 2820. I do plan on adding airbags to reduce suspension drop and keep everything level. Also adding a rack to the back of the camper to bring along a smoker amongst other things. It'll only have a 300lb capacity though. The hitch weight is a concern for sure. The only consistent advice I've seen is weigh it ourselves and see what the real numbers are. Although this solution doesn't really tell me what a safe hitch weight is.
Well congrats on the 3813MS... we have one too. Your truck is more than capable. Airbags will smooth the ride but not add to payload capacity. My best guess on hitch weight puts us at about 3500lbs when we are "all in"... we will be getting weighed soon. we will be adding 1200 watts of solar, 400-600AH of LFP batteries and we carry a champion 3150 genny in the truck for when we need more power to run A/C (with soft starts). I considered AGMs but my concern is weight, and LFP fixes that. At a price, steep too. The problem we have is the CCC numbers. with all the goodies on boards we have only about 2100 lbs of CCC left for our stuff, food etc. This why the LFP option works for us. YMMV as they say.

Engineering friend of mine says the pin weight should not exceed 25% of the total OEM trailer axle weight rating. So we should be good. we are also considering an air-ride pin box.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #18
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
maybe start with 2 batteries and then see what the demand needs are as you can easily add batteries if needed.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #19
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
How about 3 pairs of GC2 6V batteries. almost as much AH, 60 lb. less and depending on where you purchase them, $200-400 less money. Maybe you could figure how to stack them a little to save space and match the L16's.
Also it seems much easier to find these.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Lithium is enticing, our issue is space. With the Onan taking up a lot of space we have a small patch of land for our batteries. We won't have quite the solar drawing capacity you'll have (2x265watt panels) but we're hoping we'll have enough reserve battery capacity to make it through cloudy or overcast days.