Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
wicked2

M.O.C. #30109
Front Window Breakage

I have a 2021 Montana 3763BP. Big window on the front. Got a rock chip and now the window is cracking. Filed insurance claim, they gave it to Custom Glass Solutions but they cannot find an installer. The dealers don't do it and many glass installers don't. You can't feel the cracks from outside but this is not a good situation. I don't know how many thicknesses of glass are in the window and Keystone's service department only deal with dealers. Keystone's customer service said to try an auto body shop. Has anyone had experience with this before?

wicked2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Well, crud. That's not something I like to hear. Wonder if there is anyway to protect that front window in transit?
Old 11-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
talk to a good window tinter, he might have a product
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-60-inches on Amazon

or

https://www.houstonclearbra.com/
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:29 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wanda-- Check around to the regular glass window installing companies. I had a side window shatter and went to one of the glass companies locally and they were able to match the glass (tint and all) and install it. I'm sure a good glass company can measure, order, tint and install a new front window for you. Just keep checking with all the companies in Vegas and I'm sure one will work it out for you.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:21 AM   #6
wicked2

M.O.C. #30109
I was thinking a heavy duty clear film or a snap on cover. It all started from a rock chip that wasn’t seen right away.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:27 AM   #7
wicked2

M.O.C. #30109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Wanda-- Check around to the regular glass window installing companies. I had a side window shatter and went to one of the glass companies locally and they were able to match the glass (tint and all) and install it. I'm sure a good glass company can measure, order, tint and install a new front window for you. Just keep checking with all the companies in Vegas and I'm sure one will work it out for you.
Thing about it is we are on the road. Not expected to go back to Vegas for months if ever. Looking for a new home. Problem is the company ordering the glass can’t get from Keystone for 4 to 6 weeks. We have given them our itinerary and that’s where they are having problems in finding someone. You would think they could find someone in Texas where we have been for a month. And Keystone is not helpful at all!
Old 11-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb1950 View Post
Well, crud. That's not something I like to hear. Wonder if there is anyway to protect that front window in transit?
Whatever you do to protect the front window of your truck. Same exposure, same materials. You might consider a wind deflector on the roof of your truck or mounted above the bed somewhere to create a breeze to carry stones over the top of the RV. When I can find one I will install one.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeologyTek View Post
I use Reflectix silver bubble wrap in the summer time. It blocks 100% of light, looks terrible, and works great!. It also covers the glass against bugs and rocks. I stick it on with 3M outdoor double stick tape. In Texas I was so hot you could not even touch the window in the summer time. Once I covered the window the sun could not hear it up.
So you think a rock travelling in excess of 60mph will bounce off the Reflectix? Buddy I got some land to sell you in Florida, water frontage on all 6 sides.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
We were at the factory for a Rally when the first started installing the front window.
I asked a rep during the tour about breakage.
He told me that Keystone has an agreement with the glass manufacturer that it could be purchased directly from the Glass manufacture and not have to go through Keystone.
My suggestion would be to contact Keystone Customer service to find out what they say. Good luck,
Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:50 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Being in the front, that window is most likely a laminated window made of "safety" glass such as on any motor vehicle. You may need to find an RV repair shop with some scaffolding that will allow a couple of workers to do the repairs. While the side windows are ,ae of single thickness tempered glass are usually in Montanas and most other RV today of the so called frameless design and are installed with a clamp ring, a gasket and a bunch of screws. Without seeing your 5er, could only guess that that front may be bedded in a mastic material instead and not the easiest of fixes.

Uf indeed it is a frameless design, then it's a pretty easy fix for any shop with some sort of scaffold, two people and a couple hours.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #12
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Whatever you do to protect the front window of your truck. Same exposure, same materials. You might consider a wind deflector on the roof of your truck or mounted above the bed somewhere to create a breeze to carry stones over the top of the RV. When I can find one I will install one.
Before I spent money for a wind deflector I would investigate wether or not a rock heavy enough to damage your window would be light enough to be affected by the wind deflector.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
I'm just amazed that they went back to front windows. No one learns from history. In the 80s Kropf and a couple of others came out with 5th wheels with front windows and it was a nightmare.

Common sense tells you that a window twice the size of your truck windshield probably stands twice the chance of getting hit with a rock (or tree branch). But your truck is designed to handle a broken windshield without doing much other damage. When a 5th wheel front window breaks they often weren't spotted immediately, so half of them ended up with water damage. At 65mph, the wind will take advantage of any chip or crack to drive water inside.

Window shops wanted nothing to do with replacing them. They didn't install like a normal window so they weren't confident in their work. Add in the liability for structural damage if they didn't get it installed right, and the risk was to big for them. I can't imagine much has changed.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked2 View Post
I have a 2021 Montana 3763BP. Big window on the front. Got a rock chip and now the window is cracking. Filed insurance claim, they gave it to Custom Glass Solutions but they cannot find an installer. The dealers don't do it and many glass installers don't. You can't feel the cracks from outside but this is not a good situation. I don't know how many thicknesses of glass are in the window and Keystone's service department only deal with dealers. Keystone's customer service said to try an auto body shop. Has anyone had experience with this before?
A few days ago we discovered a starburst rock peck on our 2021 Montana HC 295RL front glass. Talked to glass company today, they want to know if the glass is laminated, but have offered to come 30 miles to campground to fix the peck. $200 if they come to us, $100 if we take it in. Needless to say, we really don't want to move the camper until it's fixed. We also need a solution to TRY to prevent it from happening again.
Deejaybee727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejaybee727 View Post
A few days ago we discovered a starburst rock peck on our 2021 Montana HC 295RL front glass. Talked to glass company today, they want to know if the glass is laminated, but have offered to come 30 miles to campground to fix the peck. $200 if they come to us, $100 if we take it in. Needless to say, we really don't want to move the camper until it's fixed. We also need a solution to TRY to prevent it from happening again.
I think we all would like a solution to prevent even a auto windshield from getting chipped or broken . It’s inevitable, they are going to get broke , it’s the nature of the beast !!!
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I think we all would like a solution to prevent even a auto windshield from getting chipped or broken . It’s inevitable, they are going to get broke , it’s the nature of the beast !!!
Of course you're right, that was a reaction - venting frustration. Lol. We've certainly had enough pecks, dings, and cracks in glass to know we'll just have to fork over and move on to the next thing! Thanks for the reality check! 🙂
Old 12-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
From what I understand about those front windows (I have one too), is, they are advertised by Keystone as being "Automotive grade". Whatever that means.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #18
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Yes, as a matter of fact, we found info directly on the glass just a little while ago - low on outside of the window, driver's side. It may be visible from the inside - didn't check. It does say its Laminated, and says Coach Glass.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #19
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneGreen View Post
I'm just amazed that they went back to front windows. No one learns from history. In the 80s Kropf and a couple of others came out with 5th wheels with front windows and it was a nightmare.

Common sense tells you that a window twice the size of your truck windshield probably stands twice the chance of getting hit with a rock (or tree branch). But your truck is designed to handle a broken windshield without doing much other damage. When a 5th wheel front window breaks they often weren't spotted immediately, so half of them ended up with water damage. At 65mph, the wind will take advantage of any chip or crack to drive water inside.

Window shops wanted nothing to do with replacing them. They didn't install like a normal window so they weren't confident in their work. Add in the liability for structural damage if they didn't get it installed right, and the risk was to big for them. I can't imagine much has changed.
That makes no sense. The glass in my windshield and RV front window are the same, laminated safety glass. Fixing a starburst is a 15 min max job at any reputable auto glass installer. Same glass same repair.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:46 AM   #20
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Fortunately ours is just the repairable starburst as it sits - we're camping in GA until 1/6/22. We didn't want to get into the same situation as @wicked2, where it spread to a bigger crack that would've required the whole glass being replaced. Glad we found a reputable glass company in Waycross willing to come out to the campground. Out of curiosity we did look up coachglass.com, and their website tells you to contact RV Glass Solutions by Coach Glass if needing replacement, which deals directly with RV owners. Didn't contact them since we're not there yet. Going forward, will be inspecting the glass often, hoping to catch any future pecks while they're repairable.