Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Cheap Truly Unlimited Internet for Your RV

Somewhere, on an RV / camping forum web site, I stumbled into a post where the poster shared a video for an alternative, truly unlimited data plan. He included a YouTube video which I bookmarked and watch over and over again.

Long story short, my wife and I decided to try it. The initial investment was minimal an the monthly plan for unlimited phone-text-and-data is truly only $40 a month. It's a pay-as-you go process and at any time you want to skip a month or two, you can.

I'd like to thank the fellow who posted the initial post, but like I said, I can't find it any more and I'm not sure which internet forum it came from.

Meanwhile, below is the video for you to absorb.

The plan is called "Visible" and it uses the Verison network.

In our case, we did not get the $19 ZTE phone off of Amazon. We went ahead and purchased it directly from the Visible web site at the same time. It cost a little more than the $19 ones off Amazon, but we just felt better getting the phone from the Visible. They also sent the Sim Card.

The other thing we deviated from, from the video, was the Hoo Too router. We checked and they still do not have any available. We ended up getting a GL-Net Mango Mini Smart Router. It was $19. It's only about 2.5 inches square and an inch thick. It plugs into the phone with the USB cable.

The initial set-up for this router was a little tricky, but once we figured it out, it worked great! We were able to connect 3 work computers, 2 home computers, and an I-pad.

The reason for the router is so you can hook up multiple devices at the same time, because Visible is set up for only 1 device at a time. I've been using the phone and router for work (we're at home right now), and testing it out over the next 3 weeks or so.

We're hitting the road in April, still employed with our respective companies, but have no clue when we'll be returning to the house. So, the last step in our plans has finally fallen in place... reliable internet at an affordable price. Along with our AT&T phones and their Hot Spot ability, we should be well covered. Unfortunately, our AT&T hot spots do not work well with my wife's company computer. And they do throttle, even though it's suppose to be an unlimited plan.

So, thanks to that fellow who first posted this. And hope you enjoy the video below. It explains a lot, in very simple language.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Just purchased phone and router yesterday. Waiting for FedEx and Amazon to deliver today. Going to try to use this setup at home as well as when we're on the road. Will post results.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:12 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Congrats Dutchmen on taking it on the road and thanks for the info. I have an unlimited AT&T plan with a Netgear router that works well for us most of the time, but I have been looking for an alternative like Verizon where AT&T coverage is spotty. This may well be the answer. I can work from the road also, but phone and internet is a must no matter where I am.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #4
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Been using Visible a little while now (idea from same video). Joined one of the big groups and only pay $25. Group members are billed completely separate and only downside is if your group drops below 4 members (3 members $30, 2 - $35). Hotspot only allows 5 Mbps throughput but we've been streaming w/ no problem.

I use GLiNet 750 Slate router both in the boat and rv (I actually use some of the services in the Slate like file services and DLNA). They work great and small form factor is easy to mount.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:30 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Been using Visible a little while now (idea from same video). Joined one of the big groups and only pay $25. Group members are billed completely separate and only downside is if your group drops below 4 members (3 members $30, 2 - $35). Hotspot only allows 5 Mbps throughput but we've been streaming w/ no problem.

I use GLiNet 750 Slate router both in the boat and rv (I actually use some of the services in the Slate like file services and DLNA). They work great and small form factor is easy to mount.
Is that 5 Mbps when using a router?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
5 Mbps to whatever device is connected to the hotspot - hotspot on Visible is limited to one device. In my case the device is my router. I don't use the phone much but supposedly that is not throttled at all.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
5 Mbps to whatever device is connected to the hotspot - hotspot on Visible is limited to one device. In my case the device is my router. I don't use the phone much but supposedly that is not throttled at all.
Thank you. Have you tried hooking up the router to the phone for faster speeds?

I have found I need about 12 Mps for work.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Jeffba,

I've not tethered to it, but I'm fairly certain you would still be throttled. Initially they weren't even throttling the hotspot connection but my recent speed tests have been right at 5 - 5.1

Also, Visible is Verizon owned and these are just like Verizon prepaid accounts - they take a backseat to Verizon postpaid accounts when network congestion occurs.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:03 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Somewhere, on an RV / camping forum web site, I stumbled into a post where the poster shared a video for an alternative, truly unlimited data plan. He included a YouTube video which I bookmarked and watch over and over again.

Long story short, my wife and I decided to try it. The initial investment was minimal an the monthly plan for unlimited phone-text-and-data is truly only $40 a month. It's a pay-as-you go process and at any time you want to skip a month or two, you can.

I'd like to thank the fellow who posted the initial post, but like I said, I can't find it any more and I'm not sure which internet forum it came from.

In our case, we did not get the $19 ZTE phone off of Amazon. We went ahead and purchased it directly from the Visible web site at the same time. It cost a little more than the $19 ones off Amazon, but we just felt better getting the phone from the Visible. They also sent the Sim Card.

The other thing we deviated from, from the video, was the Hoo Too router. We checked and they still do not have any available. We ended up getting a GL-Net Mango Mini Smart Router. It was $19. It's only about 2.5 inches square and an inch thick. It plugs into the phone with the USB cable.

The initial set-up for this router was a little tricky, but once we figured it out, it worked great! We were able to connect 3 work computers, 2 home computers, and an I-pad.

The reason for the router is so you can hook up multiple devices at the same time, because Visible is set up for only 1 device at a time. I've been using the phone and router for work (we're at home right now), and testing it out over the next 3 weeks or so.

We're hitting the road in April, still employed with our respective companies, but have no clue when we'll be returning to the house. So, the last step in our plans has finally fallen in place... reliable internet at an affordable price. Along with our AT&T phones and their Hot Spot ability, we should be well covered. Unfortunately, our AT&T hot spots do not work well with my wife's company computer. And they do throttle, even though it's suppose to be an unlimited plan.

So, thanks to that fellow who first posted this. And hope you enjoy the video below. It explains a lot, in very simple language.

What speeds are you getting?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've been connected with both my work computers (I have 2 from my company) and my personal laptop; my wife has her personal laptop, company laptop, and personal I-pad, all non stop since we purchased and set up the device. So far, it's not missed a beat. I have not tried streaming videos, but it has absolutely no issues with YouTube videos, Microsoft Teams meetings and chats for my company, or anything. I don't do gaming at all, so super, super, super fast speed and reaction turn over time is not a factor or THAT important for my purposes.

The farthest distance from the "router" to a connected wireless devise has been about 40 feet through 2 walls. The signal strength was still pretty good. In our 40 foot camper, the distance from the portable router to any connected devise will be less than 40 feet. So, we should be good.

Maybe this set-up is not for everyone, and no doubt, eventually we may run into a dead zone where the phone does not work at all. That is bound to happen eventually. But we are not boomdockers camping in remote Arizona deserts that are light years away from the closest cell tower either.

We still have our AT&T phones with "unlimited" data also, which we have never been throttled (except on January 6 of this year, and internet connection form all internet providers all over the USA was horrible that day).

Maybe this alternative is not for you, but it might be for someone else. I'm just sharing my experience, and so far, my experience has been very positive.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had Smart Talk or I think that is what it was called, through Walmart. The problem was it only used Verizon towers so I Dubois Wy every body’s phone worked and mine was a boat anchor.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I looked into this option as well. But what was concerning was the speed cap. 5mbps for 1 device or 10 on the network. I went a different direction. And so far great results but still testing. The 750 router is an excellent router I enjoyed using it on a prior plan.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Last2Die,

We have 30Gb of VZW hotspot on Beth's iPhone and I'll be porting my USCellular Samsung phone to ATT once we go fulltime (no ATT at our house in the boondocks of eastern NC), haven't decided a plan but will have some hotspot on it as well.

Yes, the 750 is a great little unit that packs a lot of services. Still looking for a $5-10/mth 1Gb or so data plan so I can stick a USB modem (got an old 290) in the boat's router for monitoring batteries, temps and webcam.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I've been using the Visible phone and GLiNet GL-AR70 router for 6 days as our primary Internet at home (with the intent on using it on the road when we travel). So far so good! Hardly notice any speed difference when using our "devices" to web surf. We've streamed a few shows, no issues or buffering. Was able to surf while streaming, so we're good to go. Will be canceling Comcast Xfiniti home internet.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #15
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
We have exactly the same setup that YouTube guy has the only place there was a problem was when we were at La Posa West LTVA Verizon was horrible but we stopped at rv park in town on way back from Imperial Dam LTVA and it worked great for Netflix and Amazon. We also run 3 security cameras on it.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I believe this is truly a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation. One of our neighbors in our Rv park outside Georgetown Tx has had this service for about a year. When he first got it he was loudly singing their praises and tried to convince us to get on his group. With 4 devices it would have been $20 each. The service has been seriously degrading this last year......he is not as happy now with the slow service. Granted, we are in one of the nation’s fastest growing areas outside Austin Tx but I will pay a bit more to consistently have good service. We have Verizon which costs too much imho but worth the price for service pretty much anywhere we are.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #17
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
We also switched to Visible for movie streaming. Not for business use. The fastest connection we have experienced was yesterday at 7.5 Mbps.
It usually runs at just under 5.
We have no complaints about picture quality or signal interruption.
It generally runs without stopping for buffering.

This company is owned by Verizon & uses the Verizon network.
We are currently in a campground in a marginal Verizon coverage area, but it is dependable every time.

We pay $25.00 per month in a group I formed with 3 other people through a Reddit site..
But, I believe the Visible site may now be set up to form groups through it directly.

All the group members are anonymous to each other & there is no connection with their account except 4 members in a group lowers the billing to $25.00 per month.
My wife & I save about $100 a month with Visible.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #18
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I believe this is truly a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation. One of our neighbors in our Rv park outside Georgetown Tx has had this service for about a year. When he first got it he was loudly singing their praises and tried to convince us to get on his group. With 4 devices it would have been $20 each. The service has been seriously degrading this last year......he is not as happy now with the slow service. Granted, we are in one of the nation’s fastest growing areas outside Austin Tx but I will pay a bit more to consistently have good service. We have Verizon which costs too much imho but worth the price for service pretty much anywhere we are.
I recently switched from Verizon to Spectrum for my work phone. Spectrum uses all of Verizon's towers and service. I had unlimited everything with wi/fi hot spot and my bill went from $75 + a month to $50 ($5 for new phone) a month and service has not changed. I live in Central Texas also.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #19
mcmiller

M.O.C. #17241
Don't believe the hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

We too heard about Visible. The $19 phone deal was not to be had. No good deal router either. If you can have only one device at a time, just use your phone
as a hot spot. Traveled from North Ga to NC and back to FL. The phone worked fine if you don't count the 10+ robo calls a days but the internet was virtually worthless. The best thing about Visible is their chat line in customer service when I signed up and when I cancelled. Good Luck!
mcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #20
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
I have had Visible for a couple years now, and pay $25/month with my group.
I've run into a couple areas where the phone said "Emergency Calls Only", so there's no roaming in some (any?) non-Verizon areas.
Speed is very dependent on how busy the network is. It has ranged from 30+Mbps, to under 5 Mbps.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote