Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
3400rl Maiden voyage success

We just completed our maiden voyage with our 3400rl and everything went fine.

Knowing that I would have to back into some of the State Park sites on our trip, I hitched up our unit and went to the local high school parking lot (As previously recommended by some of you folks) and practiced backing it into the slots used by autos. My wife said I did a good job and after doing this 5 times successfully, I raised my confidence level to where I felt much better about handling this unit and called it a day.

Starting July 6, we began a week of camping in 3 different State Parks here in Michigan. The first day was the only pull through that I was able to have on this trip and believe it or not, I had the most trouble in this one than that of the rest, which were all back in's.
We had only 1 night at this site and had to move the next day to my first back in site. I had no trouble with this site as it was in line with a park roadway. As I said, the rest were all back in's and I had no trouble with any of the rest as I chose the largest sites I could get - most being 45' X 50' sites.

We had mostly good weather. Our last 2 days camping were in the Upper peninsula in Michigan and all went well except the last night was humid and we turned on the AC and kept popping the circuit breaker (only 20 amps in this park) and had to deal with this for a while until I could get a park attendant to change the breaker.

We have a question and would appreciate any input anyone can offer.

Our tow vehicle is a 2003 chevy 2500 HD crew cab and short box with a duramax/allison combo. I was disapointed on the fuel economy we got especially on the last leg of our trip. We got only 9.7 miles per gal. Is this what others with like truck and trailer are getting?
I drive around 58 miles per hour on 2 lane highways and 63-65 on expressways. I pull it in the tow mode with the overdrive (5th gear) locked out. The truck is supposed to have a 3.73 rear end. At the speed of 58 miles per hour, the tach reads 2750 rpms. Also, I have only 5200 miles on the truck to this point. Is this fuel economy that we get the same for others that have like trucks and trailers? We had some hills, but I would hate to see what the fuel economy would be if we went south through the kentucky and Tennesee Mountains.

Again, we had a nice time with no mishaps and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Gary & Carole

cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary & Carole, ours is not the same brand but some of the same concepts apply. You might try next time leaving it in overdrive and let the transmission decide when to downshift. If you are in an area where it is shifting a lot, then it would pay to lock it out to save some heat buildup in the transmission. 2750rpm at 58mph sounds more like you were in 3rd gear rather than 4th. Mine also has the 3.73 axle and five-speed automatic (but different brand).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Gary & Carole, Sorry can't help you with the fuel economics as we have a different set up. Did want to thank you for sharing your first adventure. Glad you had a successful maiden voyage. Always good to hear a positive report. Looking forward to meeting you guys somewhere down the road.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Gary & Carole,

I am so glad you had a great maiden voyage.

I will have to ask Dick tonight when we are back at the campground and hopefully be able to post to you tomorrow on your truck mileage. We have a 2002 and an extended cab, but we do get better gas mileage than that.

Hopefully I will have something useful for you tomorrow?
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Don't have any input for you on the truck fuel economy. Sorry. But enjoyed hearing about your first outing. Did you get up to Sleeping Bear by Glen Arbor?? Glen Lake is one of our favorite places. Happy camping!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
TKS for sharing your first trip in your new coach. It's fun to hear how everyone is doing out there! Keep us posted on your adventures. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
When our daughter was about 2 (she is 29 now) we took a trip all the way up Michigan in my in-law's truck camper. Michigan is beautiful. We lived outside of Chicago at that time. We took a boat trip through the locks, met Tony the Tiger and spent a beautiful day on Mackinac Island. Brings back memories.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary and Carole,
Glad to hear you have a wonderful first trip out. I have the exact same truck except mine being an '04 and same coach. When it comes to towing my 3400RL I have seen everything from a solid 16 to a 9.4mpg When I am in the hills and the tranny starts that searching game I will use the tow mode, or when I am in city driving I also use tow mode. Once I am out on the open road and cruising at 65-68mph I turn the tow mode off and let the trans use fifth gear. On the flats I run a pretty solid 2,100rpms at 65mph. Some times a bit higher but usually around 2100-2200rpms. I have some miles towing up here in the Northwest and would say my "average mileage" is around 14.5mpg I had a 2003 Chevy (same truck as new one) that was a total loss in a accident. Towed the 315RLS TT at that time and did same with the tow mode as I do with this truck. The new truck will have over 9,000 miles on it after tonights trip. From what they are telling me at the dealership, mileage will only get better with more break in of the engine. It wont be fully broke in until it has at least 45,000 miles on it. (or so the dealership says.) Hope you have many more happy miles ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:01 AM   #9
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Last winter we hauled a 16000lb + coachman 11,000 miles and got the exact same mileage. As you can see by our signature we changed units. Now with the big difference in weight I expect to end up with 12mpg at the least. We live in ours 9 months of the year and at the present we are not traveling just running our campground. We travel in the winter in the south. We expect a lot easer time of it this winter. When we picked up the new 3400 100 miles north of here , it felt like we were not even hauling anything. Should be great. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #10
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Our thanks to everyone for the well wishes. The rest of this reply will be to thank those that did offer any economy advice.

To Steve and Vicky -
Thanks Steve for the comments. I know that the rpms were high, but I do believe that we were in 4th gear at the the range I mentioned (2750). I wasn't exactly comfortable with the whinning of the motor also, but do believe that it would be much higer at a lower gear. I will watch it more closely on our next trip. I will follow your suggestion on letting it shift on the transmission needs next time. In our tranny selections, we can select the "tow haul mode" by pushing the button in the end of the shift lever or we can push the button in and hold it in until the "D" icon with a slash line through it appears and this would mean the "overdrive" is locked out. I think I might try just using the "tow haul" mode without the overdrive lockout being engaged next time and see how it reacts.

Montana Sky -
We have been using the "tow haul" mode with the Overdrive lockout icon engaged since we got the RV. We didn't know we could use any other mode to pull in, even on the level. I mentioned to Steve in the above message that I will now use the "Tow haul" mode without the overdrive lockout icon engaged and see how that works. Is this how you tow or do you not even engage the "tow haul" mode when towing on the level and just tow as you would when normally driving without a Rv on the tow? I have also heard that about the break in millage.

Foggyb -
I can believe that, that after towing a 16,000 lb. rig and downsizing to a 13,790 (dry weight) RV like the 3400rl is. It must be really be a noticable difference. Ours hauls good, but I have nothing to compare it too as we have never towed anything before this.

Thanks everyone for the great comments and advice. You folks sure make us novices feel alot better with your help and a place to go when in need. Thanks so much.

Gary & Carole
Old 07-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #11
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Leave it in O/D. The only time I would lock it out is I was travelling at around 60 or so and it was just at the point of shifting up and any extra throttle would cause a downshift.

I don't have the lockout but when it seems to be stuck in 4th I just take it out of T/H and let it upshift, then I engage T/H and it holds 5th until I put my foot into it.

Get into O/D and the mileage will improve, just remember it does take fuel to make power, so the harder it runs or the higher rpm's the more fuel is used.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
John -
Thanks for the comments. One of my primary fears to let it shift into 5th gear (or overdrive)was the fear of doing damage to the transmition. Not knowing any better, I thought that is why they had the tow mode selection - being that, it is to use when towing a load. I was afraid that by allowing the transmition to shift into the overdrive, it would put too severe stress on the tranny and cause damage. From what I have now heard from you and others, it is ok to use the overdrive in terrain where it will operate. This is correct right?
Thanks for the comments.
Gary & Carole
Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary,
I have never had to lock out the O/D yet towing my 3400RL. I always tow in the tow mode in town and on the hills. Once I get up to 60+mph and the road is somewhat level I will turn the tow mode off. I have had no problems towing in fifth gear either with the tow mode on or off. I have had the tranny shift into fifth gear while in tow mode, but usually turn it off before hand. In my opinion, I would say turn the tow mode off and let the tranny use fifth gear. Once that "hunting" between fifth and fourth gear starts, turn the tow mode back on and let the computer take it from there. I really do like the tow mode for slowing down, coming off the interstate or going down the hills. it will downshift the tranny to help slow the coach down without doing so much wear on the brakes. Keep us updated as your travels continue.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:15 AM   #14
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Montana Sky -
Thanks for the feedback. Its ironic, but we get much more information about truck usage and procedures from folks like yourself than we do from the people that should have the info - I'm referring to truck salespersons and those above them. I had asked those persons for assistance prior to coming to this website and they couldn't or wouldn't offer much to asist us.
Montana Sky, seeing that you have the same unit as we do, where have you traveled up to this point and have you encountered any power problems, such as climbing any steep road grades of 4 or above? And when traveling, passing over some dips or bumps in the roadways, do you get the sensation that if you were going faster than 60 mph after encountering one of the more severe dips, that maybe another one like it in succession might cause an erratic, uncontolable action of bouncing?
The reason I ask, is I had this simuliar encounter and immediately let off the throttle to stabilize the truck and trailer combo and everthing straightened out fine. I came out of this experience with an appreciation of the heavy duty suspension and thought I could maybe add something else to make it even more stable. Have you did anything to the like?
Thanks for the continued support and feedback. We really appreciate it.
Gary & Carole
Old 07-18-2004, 10:14 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary & Carole,
I have been over into Montana and western Washington with my coach so far. Going east from here to Missoula I have climbed over two different mountain pass'. One between Coeur d alene Idaho and Kellogg, Idaho. The second bigger pass is Lookout Pass on the Montana, Idaho border. Both of these have grades going up and down over 6% if memory serves me right. And going west from here, I have been over to the Seattle, WA area climbing Snoqualmie pass with the same grades. I have not had any problems with any of these areas with my truck and coach yet. I will tell you that I have followed a friend that has the 8.1Liter Chevy big block and he will tend to walk away from me on some of the hills, but I am towing approx 1,500lbs more than he. The duramax I feel has all the power that I would ever need and keeping the speed has not really been a big problem. 38-50mph is where I usually end up in the climbing part, and once I hit the top I usually try to keep it under 50mph for the trip back down. As for the rocking sensation on big dips or humps in the road, I have encountered a few of them. I do exactly what you have done, just let off the throttle and the rocking will stop pretty quick. I have not changed one thing I my truck since I started towing the 3400RL. One thing that might help if you have not already done so is, take your tire pressure up to 80psi all the way around the truck. This will help firm up your sidewalls and take away some bounce. Also check the pressure on your coach, I will double check mine but I am pretty sure I have them at 80psi as well. I have heard of some folks using airbags to help in this type of situation, but I feel it happens so little that for me it is not worth the money. Another possible solution is an air ride hitch. Now were talking some big money, but just thought I would throw out what I know. To sum this up, I feel my truck rides just right for me and my towing needs. As you can see I could talk about my truck and coach all the time. I found out like yourself that most dealership people dont know anything about towing like yourself and I are and they dont really seem to want to. There are some great people on this site, so ask away. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. By the way nice coach and truck choice. =)
Old 07-18-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Montana Sky -
Wow! 6% grades! I have to admit that you have more guts than I have. I'm going to have to practice alot before I tackle anything that steep. By the way, what gear do you end up towing the fiver in that steep of an incline as you hit the crest? Yes the added weight will make alot of difference. I have a brother who I had followed in our maiden voyage and he has a 35' motor home and he was wondering why I couldn't keep up with him on some of the smaller hills in the upper penisula here in Michigan. After I told him that I was 13,790 dry weight and aprox. 14,390 loaded with 2/3 tank of fresh water he then understood why.
Thanks again for the valuable information. It helps alot and gives us a better understanding of this Rving.
Gary & Carole
Old 07-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary & Carole,
I usually end up topping most of them in second or third gear. Every once and a great while I will hit fourth, but not to often. I have heard that the more miles you get on your diesel the better it will run and tow as it breaks in. I have over 9,000 miles on mine now and I have noticed it seems to get a little faster and better mileage as the miles add up. Are you feeling like your truck is not doing well? The main thing I keep my eye on is the two temp gauges. Engine and tranny. The thing I try to keep reminding myself is with my trailer over 13,300lbs and my truck in right around 7,000lbs that puts me at a gross combo weight of 20,300lbs give or take. I figure as long as we get up and down in one piece at make it to the campground without hitting anything than it has been a good day of towing. =) Keep us updated on your trips as they happen. Dave/
Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #18
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Montana Sky -
I have also been told that the best economy will occur when the diesel engine gets broke in. With our chevy's, it is said to be around 45,000 miles. At present I have slightly over 5,000 miles on my truck. You mentioned earlier that when decending, you try to control the speed to not higher that 50 mph. You obviously have the truck in tow mode at this time. Do you have to tap the brakes every so often to so the rig down or does the down shifting occur as you take your foot off the throttle? Yes, I know what you mean about keeping an eye on the gauges. While coming down I-75 going south of the Machinaw bridge, we ran into some small hills and it was a warm humid day, around 86 degrees, I noticed that the electric engine fan would come on periodically to cool down the engine. Now remember, I was towing it the tow mode with the overdrive locked out. So the engine was running around 2700 rpm at around 60 mph. If you have heard this fan come on before, you know what I mean when I say that you really notice it when it comes on. So I was watching the gauges to make sure there were no heat spikes in temperature. I'm sure the fan would have came on less if I was in 5th or overdrive gear.
I'm not sure about your question about feeling whether or not that the truck is performing well or not. I don't have anything to judge it to as I have never towed anything like this rig before. I can remember going up a hill in Michigans upper penisula and having it in the tow mode w/ OD locked out and was continuing to depress the throttle and not getting the truck to increase speed, but to rather continue to lose speed. I didn't think the hill was that severe and was kind of let down on the performance of that climb. But what do I know! Again, I have nothing to compare it too. Just more experience will tell. Just before starting the trip, we weighed our truck and rig and the gross weight for the entire unit, truck and trailer was 21,280 lbs. loaded and with 2/3 tank of fresh water. It appears that I'm good according to the trucks gross weight specs. of 22,400, if memory serves me correctly.
Thanks again for the comments.
Gary & Carole
Old 07-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary and Carole,
You are correct, when I am up in the big mountain pass' I am in tow mode. I have had it happen in both situations, where I use the brake pedal to downshift the tranny and have just chose a manual gear by placing the gear shift in 3rd or 2nd on the way down. Even with the gear shift in second or third I find myself every now and then giving the brake pedal a real hard push to bring the rig back to the speed I like. My thought process on coming down off a grade, as long as you feel like you have total control of your rig your in good shape. I have seen some folks coming over the peaks crest and start down a tad bit faster than they should. Let me tell ya what, I have seen some good smoke of other brands of brakes really quick. The last trip down one of the bigger hills I ended up behind a semi doing mid 30's and this really worked well. The speed going down was right, having him infront of me helped with the braking and making sure I was not getting a little ahead of myself with the speed and curves. As far as the fan kicking on, yes I have heard it and your right. It is very noticeable, come to think about it, I usually dont ever hear it unless we are on the way up or down a steep grade. On the main highway/interstates I have not noticed it come on at all. Hope you will get a chance to head out again real soon. Dave/
Old 07-20-2004, 01:13 AM   #20
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Gary & Carole,

Sounds like you're about a month ahead of me on the experience scale. I'll be picking up our 3400 this Friday. Our maiden voayage will probably just be a weekender locally, but we'll be headed north for the bridge walk Labor Day. (Assuming I can find any space available within a reasonable distance.)

The discussion between you and Dave is really interesting to me. Dave's experience is validating some of the things we've experienced with our Cougar.

Glad you had a good trip.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote