Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Travlr45

M.O.C. #9834
Newbie in Texas

After looking at RV's for years, I am ready to get my retirment rig: A 2010 347THT Montana Mountaineer toyhauler. I'll be pulling it with a 2007 2x2 Dodge 2500 6.7L diesel w/ the towing package.

I don't really need it until March next year, but the salesman kindly noted that the prices are likely to rise right after the Louisiville Trade show.

Is he blowing smoke? They have one on the lot that me and the DW like but I have no problem ordering one next January and waiting 6 weeks (delayed gratification is my life).

Bob in Houston

Travlr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even if prices rise, would they rise enough to force you to purchase early and lose the interest for your funds gained by waiting? Would the rise be less than the storage of the unit by purchasing early instead of when you need the unit? Would the rise cover the warranty time lost if you purchase early and the unit just SITS while waiting for when you can use it? Is the salesman gonna pay your interest and registration fees if you buy early and it sits until you can use it?

I hate when salesmen do that. It's bogus and a ploy, but a good salesman's job is to get you to pay for something when you don't need it. Stick to your guns, get what you want, and get it when you want it and can use it. In the meantime, you are shopping to become educated about what you want so when it's time for you to buy when YOU want to you will be that much more happy than buying when the salesman wants you to.

This worked for us. I got a great deal at an RV show when we were first looking for our first 5er. But I was "not ready" at the show and they told me the SAME THING (prices are higher). When we finally purchase our Monty 6 months later I was able to get a better equipped rig at the same dealership and when I described the deal and the salesperson's name they mostly honored it but we paid just a little bit higher because it was so much better equipped. We were very happy with our purchase because it was on our timeframe when we could use it immediately.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Art is on track. If that unit you looked at is still on the lot after Louisville Trade show then it will be an older model and the price should come down. If you are able to go to the show you may be able to get a good deal on a new model with more bells and whistles. It is a gamble. If you are in an area where they will normally be stored until spring then wait until late Nov or Dec and see what deals they will give you. Remember willing buyer willing seller. Work them, do some on line shopping to get a better feel for prices. Also check out the dealer's reputation.
Good question, good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, If you buy now the difference in price may be negated by not using the rig until you can, unless, of course, you just want a new truck now. Art and John bring up good points. I personally don't start looking until I am ready to buy. Good luck and Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
Bob,
We researched for 4 years and selected the model we really wanted. Then, by the time we were ready to pay cash, that model was no longer being produced. We settled for our second choice, saved enough money on the deal to add a few items, walked away just as happy and never looked back. Don't rush it, you'll be happier in the long run.

Tim in Katy
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Tim & Katy,
I love the picture.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Tim in Katy, I hope that's photoshopped!
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We went to the Hershey Show and looked at the toy hauler also. They told us that the price was only for the show. That Keystone was giving an extra $2000 off only for the show. Our friends took the show price, called the local dealer and guess what they met the price 2 weeks later. They also saved $1200 by picking it up in Indiana (just a thought). Considered it a paid vacation. So most of it is a bunch of bull. It is a great toy hauler. No we did not buy but thought hard about it as it would be great for all the toys!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
It's a good bet! Tim listed "photoshop" as a hobby in his profile!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Travlr45

M.O.C. #9834
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll keep my powder dry. I like this forum; you're a chatty bunch.

Bob in Houston
Travlr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
You caught me.

The valley in the background is the view from the top of Sulphur Mountain. The narrow road is an image from Afghanistan with a dead end sign added. The picture of our rig was taken at Rayford Crossing RV Resort north of Houston.

Tim in Katy
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote