Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well, you certainly more than deserve to vent like that. Many manufacturing recalls are not their fault since the transfer switch, and the fridge recalls are probably vendor based and therefore can span several manufacturers. But a lot of that other stuff is just wrong. How long have they been making trailers? You wouldn't expect some of this stuff. Why aren't recalls automatically done at the dealer BEFORE selling it to you? As soon as a recall is announced, the dealer should perform them on their inventory BEFORE selling the product. I had one and others have bought our rigs, then there was the "oh by the way, you need to bring it in for a recall" and you find it's been out for 6 months or more. This tells me Montana doesn't want to spend money on what they need to fix until they have a buyer.

There were a few problems when we got our unit, the worse one being that the refrigerator died within four months. We don't fulltime and a good thing too, because it took the dealer 7 weeks to fix a brand new unit and fridge. They took care of a Dometic recall at that time and acted like nice guys that were doing me a favor until I found the recall almost a year old. Then there's the "it's not my problem" attitude for the multitude of parts in there. I feel a dealer should own a problem for what they sell and force their vendors to work with them for each customer problem. For example, the dealer should be responsible for getting Onan to service the rig either at their location or transporting it to a suitable service center. Then credit your warranty for how long it takes. It works for the auto companies and home warranties. Isn't an RV a "vehicle" you live in?

As a slight consolation, there have also been worse stories than yours, not that it should make you feel any better, but every time it's terribly sad to hear of an owner's troubles. I can only offer sympathy and understanding that you deserve to "b***h" because you've earned it. But even if you are able to get all these things taken care of we can't be surprised that you chuck the thing. But I'm not so sure all manufacturers have the best in quality construction. There are horror stories even amongst the best of them.

The Montana brand is one of the most popular names out there under the Keystone line but I sure wonder why Keystone just puts other subnames under it to keep it high in sales, then they are having quality issues? What's up with that? Are they trying to make up sales losses from customers straying away because of quality issues by sticking the Montana name in front of other of their models? Montana now includes, Montana, Mountaineer, Big Sky and High Country. I recall when it was ONLY Montana.

Then there's dealers that do not stand behind what they sell. On the other hand my dealer stands behind my Monty, but they stand way behind. So far behind, I don't even go through them any more. Fortunately, the things I've addressed are no where near what you are experiencing even after almost five years of ownership.

I hope you feel better now that you got me going too. You ain't alone even if I haven't had as bad a time as you. Hang in there and the best to your future ownership and travels.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote