Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
The Count Down Has Begun update

The count down has begun for our shake down trip, after a little over a year we are finally going to take our Montana on the road.

Going to leave Nevada on December first for Hattiesburg,Mississippi. We are very excited and a little scared at the same time as we have never hauled a 5th wheel before.

If anyone has any advice or tips that you would like to share I would be tickled to hear them.

Just as soon as I can get back on the internet I will let everyone know how the trip went.

update

Well Tomorrow is the day and let me tell you if anything could go wrong it did. With just 5 days to go it snowed about 6 to 8 inches. Then it droped to -10 degrees. Then the water froze so we worked all day yesterday to get it fixed, then the water hose sprung a leak.. Now today we have to somehow get the Ice off of the slide outs. But with the lords help we will do that and get the heck out of this frozen place. Just saw a Montana going down the interstate and wished it was me. You all take care and I will be back soon.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda and Walt, we are very excited for you and look forward to hear about your first trip.

I don't know what kind of advice you're looking for you so will offer just a few tidbits that seem important to me.

The first is to RELAX. Most mistakes come from being uptight. The Montanas tow absolutely beautifully.

Another mistake that's easy to make is to get in too big a hurry and follow the car ahead too closely. Remember it will take you longer to stop. But not that much longer. Be sure to read the manual for your brake controller and go through the adjustment procedure it talks about so your brakes are effective as possible. If you're not comfortable with stopping power, crank the gain up a little more. Be aware most manuals talk about testing braking at low speeds and talk about adjusting until the brakes lock up, then backing off. Both our Montanas were too heavy to lock the wheels up when braking so we never achieved that part of the setup procedure.

Allow more room on your turns as the Montana will turn inside the truck's wheeltracks. This is something that will become automatic after awhile.

If you take interstates and start getting a lot of jerking on the concrete slabs, try slowing down a little or speeding up a little. Sometimes this will make a big difference. Interstates can be really bad about this.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the trip. Have your hookup and unhooking routine that you stick to. Doesn't hurt to write things down. Sometimes a neighbor or park person will offer to assist you. It's ok for them to watch but I'd recommend they not do anything. For me, most mistakes I make come when something gets me out of my routine. I realize you have yet to develop a routine but you will. Check and doublecheck. But have fun.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
LINDA AND WALT -- CONGRATS ON GETTIN' ON THE ROAD. WE ARE EXCITED FOR YOU. WE WILL ALL BE ANXIOUSLY AWAITING TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR TRAVELS. STEVE SUMMED EVERYTHING UP NICELY. RELAX, RELAX, RELAX....TAKE THREE DEEP BREATHS AND ENJOY THE RIDE!!! HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU ......
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Most of all, relax and enjoy the trip.
That pretty much says it all.

Can't really add much more to what Steve already said.

And as far as "we have never hauled a 5th wheel before." Nothing to be scared about. That Montana will trail along so well there will be times you'll be looking back to make sure that it is still there.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Linda and Walt, Congrats on moving the 5er. Your Montana will pull just great. Steves advice is great. Just relax and take your time. You will have a great experience and will want to travel more often. It sounds like a great trip. Please have fun, enjoy it and be careful. Maybe we can meet up in Jackpot when you get back, we both live a short distance from there.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:00 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Have a great trip.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:31 AM   #7
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Relax and enjoy...watch the turns. After a few miles you will settle in. As some have said, the Monty tows very well. Happy trails!!
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Enjoy your trip. Beside relaxing, we found that we had a lot more fun if we cut back on the daily mileage. After all, it isn't like you're hurrying to get the last motel room.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sounds like great fun--hitting the highway. Relax and enjoy. Happyrving.........
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:04 AM   #10
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
The one thing I would recommend is "The Next Exit". It is a publication that list everything within 1/4 mile of every interstate exit. We use it for planning fuel stops and meals while on the road. Check out http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?m=2&p=319 . You are going to be coming to our backyard in Hattiesburg as Laurel is only about 25 miles up I59. How long are you staying ? Maybe we can have a cup of coffee. Have a safe trip.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
If we can be of any help as you pass through (or near) East Texas, please let us know. Just send email through this forum and we will get back to you. We have made the trip from here to Hattisburg many times and know the routes quite well. Many different possibilities for alternate routes with nice stop overs.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:59 AM   #12
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Thanks to all of you my fear is all but gone and my excitment grows each day. We have dicided to work our way down to interstate 40, then to Oklahome City, then 35 to Dallas, then 20 to Jackson, then 49 to Hattiesburg. Palebluedot we could be there a very long time and would love to meet up with you all. I knew that you lived in Laurel because I did a search for Mississippi members.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Your trip sounds very exciting. A little hint that helps us when traveling through strange towns. Keep a pair of binoculars up front with you. They are great for seeing road and street signs ahead of time. Sudden stops and turns don't work very well when you are hauling. Saves having to take the next street and trying to come back to where you wanted to be.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:27 AM   #14
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Your trip sounds very exciting. A little hint that helps us when traveling through strange towns. Keep a pair of binoculars up front with you. They are great for seeing road and street signs ahead of time. Sudden stops and turns don't work very well when you are hauling. Saves having to take the next street and trying to come back to where you wanted to be.

This is a wonderful idea I just happen to have a pair that I have never used... Thank you
Old 11-25-2004, 05:37 AM   #15
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Congratulations and Welcome to the forum. Follow the above advice and you will be just fine. Enjoy you trip and remember to give update. Take care.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
In case you might NOT wish to visit Dallas or navigate the traffic, I could suggest several alternate routes to connect with I-20. Several times a year we travel to Colorado with our Montana and I have moved further and further away from the Metroplex as the congestion has moved out. But, as this is none of my business, I will stay out of it unless my suggestions are requested. We have made the route to Hattisburg via Jackson many times. Happy traveling and enjoyable stay is my wish for you.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Very good idea for the binoculars in the front seat. Thanks!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 AM   #18
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

In case you might NOT wish to visit Dallas or navigate the traffic, I could suggest several alternate routes to connect with I-20. Several times a year we travel to Colorado with our Montana and I have moved further and further away from the Metroplex as the congestion has moved out. But, as this is none of my business, I will stay out of it unless my suggestions are requested. We have made the route to Hattisburg via Jackson many times. Happy traveling and enjoyable stay is my wish for you.
padredw, Yes,Yes! I would be very interested in knowing your route, I do hate going through Dallas in just the truck much less with a RV hooked on. Thank you so much for shareing it with me.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I will send an email with a bit more detail, but for the interest of other members of the forum I will share my basic route information. In the town of Gainsville, Texas, I35 intersects with US 82 (in this case US 82 East). 82 is a very good highway. My own preference is to come all the way to Paris, Texas on 82, but I think you might find it a better route to turn just east of Sherman on US 69 (South) and follow 69 all the way to I-20 (which will be just north of Tyler, Texas.) If you did continue to Paris, Texas you would take the south by-pass of the town and pick up US 271 (south) to Mt. Pleasant, Texas. There I would suggest following Texas Hwy 49 to Jefferson where you would intersect with US 59, then 59 South to I-20.

In the event that you follow the US 69 route, there is a very fine state park [Tyler State Park] very near your route. On the other route, Daingerfield State Park is right on Texas Hwy 49. When you know which way you might wish to travel, I can give you some specific information about both these parks or commercial RV parks in the area.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:15 PM   #20
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Looks like most topics are covered. However if you have a short bed truck. Watch the back of the cab closely in tight turns. I highly recomend a slider hitch.
Hwy 82 in Texas is a good road I travel it frequently in my work truck. There are several RV parks along the way. Hwy 82 goes all the way to Texarkana and ends up at the I-20.
Rick
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote