Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Fire Ants!!!!!!!

Oh momma, got bit twice, felt like Bee stings. Was standing in the grass jawing with a neighbor and started hopping up and down, they are so small I almost didn't see them. Thought they were big and Red.
Had my Crock thongs on. Ouch...
Have two red welts on my foot.
Watch out for them.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Ozz, if they were fire ants you will have two blisters shortly. No fun at all. Best not to break the blisters if posible. Got poped twice on the head while mowing this afternoon.*#@%*%#@. They will get the dust tomorrow. If someone out there has a remedy for these little buggers when they bite Ozz and I would like to have it. lol
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ArkieBug

If someone out there has a remedy for these little buggers when they bite Ozz and I would like to have it. lol
OK, this may sound weird. I was raised in Honduras (parents are missionaries). We didn't have a lot of the medical stuff we have now, but plenty of ants and scorpions. Believe it or not, the best remedy we found was to zap the bite with the spark plug wire from the lawn mower. It works, but don't ask me why

Hmmm, did some searching and found this.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
Oh man, you got fire ants in your thong. That is way worse than ants in the pants.
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

You can buy a sting cartiridge that you can use on the bites. Most of those are Amonia based so you could just use the Amonia on the sting and get relief without paying the high dollar. I also recommend something called ChiggerX which can be used on all types of bites. Here in Texas the bugs love to have a feast. The ChiggerX can be used on Mosquito bites as well as the ant bites. Great for chiggers as well....here is hoping the scratching stops in your house.... oh I do pop the blisters that the fire ants produce and wipe them with alcohol.....that would not be Corona.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, will look into it.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Be thankful that you only got a couple bites. My sister walked through a mound and received many, many bites which put her into anaphylactic shock. That said, Their reputation in the South is worse than reality. Almost everyone treats their yards for them and keeps them under control. They are nasty. Ice cubes on the bites immediately after the bite helps with the pain.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Living on a minifarm in North San Antonio, we had mounds of these things. We poured sevin dust on the mounds and when we got stung we covered our legs with calamine lotion. Just pour it on and let it dry. That was the only thing that relieved the itching. My boys thought it was neat to disturb the mounds and watch the ants scramble. We also used to pour gas on the mounds and set it afire. We also used sevin pellets and the worker ants would take it to their queen (only one per mound)., this would kill the queen and the mound would die. We also used some things I don't think were completely legal. They will really tear up a cows leg......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The State of Georgia, as we are finding out, is one giant fire ant hill. You can see the ground move...We have a few in Northern Ohio and we use Boriac acid powder..That seems to kill them???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote