Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
justrave
Established Member

M.O.C. #2613
TV Comments and Questions

I currently have a 2003 2500HD 6.0 CC with 4:10 axle ratio. My 5th wheel is a 2005 318 BHS Mountaineer. I have not weighed the trailer but the certificate on the inside cabinet states 9700#. Also, the brouchure states the pin weight to be 2000#. I am assuming I probaly be 600# over my tow capacity of 10,100 and about the same over my Gross Combined weight(16,000#). I am hoping to upgrade my TV to a 3500 dually or srw. After reading numerous of posts, it seems that a lot of 5th wheels are towed with a 2500 Chevy with the Duramax/Allison.

Ok, the main difference in my truck and the 2500 with the D/A is the engine and transmission which allows to have larger tow capacity. I think the other specs are the same i.e. brake size, GVW, etc. I know the allison transmission aid in braking on steep slopes. It just blows my mind to think that the 2500HD with D/A can tow a 15,000# 5th wheel and not exceed the pin weight.

It seems that if the 2500 D/A with the same specs other than engine and transmission can tow a larger trailer safely then I should be safe in my present tow vehicle. I know a lot of experts would said if you are overweight you can wear your brakes out quickly. Again, remember the trucks have the same size brakes and one probaly carrying a lot heavier load.

I tell you understanding weight can be very comolicated. I would appreciate any comments.

justrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We asked many of the same questions when we were looking for our rig. The overwhelming reply was NEVER, in any way, exceed any of the "tow ratings" (GCVWR, GVWR for the truck OR trailer, axle ratings- especially rear axle due to pin weight in this case, etc.). For that reason, we chose the Chevy 2500HD 8.1/Allison as it had the highest tow rating, one of the highest GCVWR's, and a good rear axle/cargo rating. With the exception of the cargo rating (rear axle, truck GVWR), the 2500HD with the 4.10 beat almost all of the 3500/350's out there. The 3500/350's (especially dually) will allow you more GVWR for the truck. On the other hand, there may be some reduction in towing capacity as the 3500/dually equipment adds a directly proportional weight. In your case, this shouldn't matter. We found a number of units (Mountaineer and others) that kept us under our 14,100 tow rating and 22,000 GCVWR. You are correct-- the pin weight is the only rating to which we get pretty close to the max. We went with the 8.1 and single rear axle 2500HD simply for the up-front cost differential. We ordered our fleet-style(stripper) regular cab for under $30K. Throw in the Duramax, dually and an extended/crew cab, and you're well into the $40k's down here. We weren't into dropping another $10K to $15K for what would only be luxuries to us. To offset the lack of creature comforts, we noted that the curb weight of the truck would be lower (fewer options), and we'd have a little more cargo headroom. I can tell you (with much delight) that the 2500 does a fantastic job of pulling and stopping the 297RKS! If we were putting more miles per year on the rig and using it in mountainous terrain, we'd definitely have gone to the Duramax (keeping the rest of the truck the same).

Best advise we've gotten so far: Watch that pin weight! It's the first one that will max out in almost every case.

Best of luck!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Pete,

Will you share with us what your getting for Gas Mileage with your 8.1 Towing and empty? I've been hoping to get this info, as I perfer the gassers too.

Every time I hope to get this info. the thread gets hijacked for a Diesel love fest.

Thanks and Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hey, it's hard not to brag when you're in love, and mine are listed in order: Shari, Danny, and the D/A! The only other thing I'll add is my concurrence with what Pete says about never exceeding your capacities, and in fact, I adhere to the 80% rule: don't tow more than 80% of capacity. The gross weight of my rig at 12,460 is only a hair over 80% of the towing capacity of 15,000.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Sorry about hijacking the thread for the duramax, but look at the gas milage. I had a 6.0 in a 99 GMC, did a great job pulling, but the milage was terrible. At that time, we couldn't use od, I don't know if they fixed that yet, but with the Allison, we just put it in od and go. If you are not going to travel the US, you should be able to take the weekly trips pretty easy.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
You know those diesel guys and gals! We're getting 11 mpg empty. Haven't calculated it loaded, yet. Based on our limited yearly milage, cost of diesel and the higher cost of the Duramax, we do better with the simplicity and overall lower cost, long-term. We had always planned to go to the Duramax if we anticipated increased yearly milage or mountainous terrain. However, we've been so pleased with the pulling and stopping power of this truck, we may not find any need to change.

I also agree with Bill's 80% rule. We originally bought the truck to pull a larger (37') 5er. We would have been JUST under the capacity limits all around. We are comfortably under all weight limits with our 297RKS.

Once we check the mpg loaded, I'll start a new thread with the info. Have a great weekend, everyone!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Thanks Pete,

I'll look forward to your post on loaded MPG. I think we have at least one other 8.1 out there named 8.1al

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:24 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
We have the 8.1 with the Allison in our current truck. Hitched up and towing the 'Tana we average 8 1/2 mpg and push 12 or a bit more empty. We would probably do better, except ours has the 3.73 rear end---varous reasons for this configuration. The Tow/Haul mode for the Allison works well especially in conjunction with the prodigy brake controller. Almost 50k on the truck and we still have 75% brake pad life left. I think if anything, the GM HD series trucks have one of the finer brake systems on the market. If I'm not mistaken, they came out with a thicker and wider pad running on the 17" rotors---lots of "friction surface" so the wear is reduced because of the square inches of footprint contact. One of the only reasons we are looking at the Duramax is the ability to add a Transfer Flow auxillary fuel tank---lots of trips into Mexico and the Pemex stations somehow always seem out of gas when you have a 1/4 tank....want to increase the range to about 1,000 miles if not more. The 8.1 has power---loads of power but a rather high "power band" for maximum torque/HP.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:07 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Another weight you have to consider is the tire capacity. I upgraded my tires from LT245 75R16's to 265's so I could handle the added hitch weight without overloading the tire's capacity.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote