Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Repaired 8/16/10 - Spring Hanger Bracket 8/12/10

Repaired hanger and upgraded Thanks to Dave Clark for the idea.

Passenger side upgrade

I started to adjust my brakes on the trailer. I jacked up the trailer and said what the heck check the Spring Hanger Brackets so I did. I would not have noticed this if the trailer was not up on jacks and the tires off the ground. The driver side rear looked like this:

Something did not look right so I jacked the trailer up so the tires were off the ground and this is what I found:

When I got above it I saw daylight.

I have a 9 am appointment 3 miles down the road with a welding shop to get them fixed.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Dang, glad you didn't head out on a long trip with that. Of course, no telling how long it has been cracked.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Great catch. Tomorrow I plan to replace my brake shoes. I'll be sure to check for that while I'm down there.
It's scary, what goes on with these rigs.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We're glad you caught that! Of course, it wasn't an accident that you did, since you are pro-active about maintaining your rig...
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Camper4, While you down there you might measure your springs and buy a spare. We broke one last summer in CO and it cost me $600 to get it replaced.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I need to look at mine closer. I looked at them a while back and they looked ok. But after seeing your pictures, I can see where a crack could be easily overlooked. From the rust, looks like the crack started some time ago.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Nice catch, John. I'm glad that you found it when you did.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #8
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
John,
Which one was it? I broke the back curb side this winter in Florida and did not know it until I tried to put the wheel locks in between the wheels and the wheels were to close together. I checked and the hanger had broken completely. Had to call Florida Mobile RV repair and he rewelded it after jacking it into place. He also welded a piece of angle on each side for support.He said it was always the same one that breaks. Just wondering if that is so!
You were lucky you found it before it broke all the way . Mine was $425 to fix but Coachnet paid half.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Wayne,
Driver side rear only one side broke. The welding shop is going to add a cap and gusset to each hanger bracket the same way Dave Clark did .
Here is a link to Dave's photos. I see ADMIN edited the link instead of helping a member fix a problem.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Happened to me too, same side rear. Sheared off both ears and was dangling. Pushed the eye up against the frame. Had a welder come out to put on a new bracket. He charge $50 including the bracket. Sent the bill to my dealer with pictures and they got Keystone to reimburse me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
I also broke the left rear hanger the same as John did last month in Kentucky. Had it welded at an RV dealer in Clarksville IN and then replaced at Morryde and the X-factor crossmembers added at the same time. Hope this solves the hanger problem for a while.
Fred
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never doing things the easy way we had Mor Ryde cut off our OEM suspension toss it in the junk pile and install me the IS system. No springs, no axles, no hangers, no U bolts, etc...Hope that holds up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
John lucky catch! I did my shackles before we put on wet-bolts. The heat off the welding will melt the Teflon bushing on the springs. Also watch that there are no wires or hydraulic lines near the frame as the heat can melt them also.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

John lucky catch! I did my shackles before we put on wet-bolts. The heat off the welding will melt the Teflon bushing on the springs. Also watch that there are no wires or hydraulic lines near the frame as the heat can melt them also.
Dennis,
Thanks for the reminder. I just left the welding shop and made mention that Keystone does run them along the I beam. He said he does and would check.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Looks like that will work fine John, now when you find time wet-bolts will give you a total upgrade. My dad and I installed wet-bolts in about 5 hrs both sides. Had all the tools just needed to buy a 12" c-camp. A 14" would have worked better but couldn't find one.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote