Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Rid x in black tank

I know this is a much talked about topic... I’ve seen posts from people who use regular rid x in their black tank. Is it actually safe for RV waste tanks and valves? How much do you put in for a 50 gallon tank? Can you use it with other chemicals or Calgon/dawn dishwashing liquid?

Thanks for your help

Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Over ten years of full timing and all we've used is Happy Camper and very happy with that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Rid-X is an enzyme and bacteria eater, actually a type of yest that feeds on bacteria. For Rid-X to work, it takes time. If you are using your camper frequently (like every week-end) and you dump your tanks on a regular basis, Rid-X simply won't have time to make any difference. When you flush the tank, the Rid-X flushes too, long before it has adequate time to work.

Now, if you have the famous "poop pyramid" in your tank and you add water and the Rid-X and let it sit for a month, the Rid-X will help, but just soaking in water will do the same thing.

The best thing you can do for your tank is to dump it, add water, a bit of dishwashing liquid, and go for a drive. Dump it when you reach your destination. Do this every time you dump, and your tank will be as clean as it can ever be. More is not necessary, unless you occasionally add some bleach. Just be sure to drain it and rinse the bleach so it won't affect your slide valves by standing long term.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As said above regular Rid x takes at least 30 days to properly work in a septic tank..However there is a Rid X for Rv product that will work in RV holding tank Like others we use happy camper and dump often
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
I’ve used Rid-x for a few years. I don’t understand the comments that it takes a month to work. I use a couple of tablespoons and when I dump the only solids I see are those put in in the last few hours. It turns everything into grey liquid in a day or two. I use the stuff made for home septic tanks.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I used Rid-X last fall as I wanted to replace the dump valve before the RV's winter sleep. Added about 2x the recommended amount, drove the 5er ~125 miles home and let it sit for a couple weeks before tackling the valve job. What came out of that tank on the final flush before disassembly was tiny, almost microscopic particles of paper.

To use Rid-X between regular dumps - probably wont work though if you look at the safety data sheets (SDS) for both Rid-X and Happy Camper, you will find that the base ingrediants are the same with Rid-X having a bit higher amount
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote